You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DeathLord1969

Need Montana help

6 comments in this topic

Members
829 posts
2,638 battles

I am only playing her in ranked.

But my average damage is dropping now with every match. Was around 82k and now 76k. My main battery gun accuracy is 41% but cannot tell by damage. My best is 155,552.

My last match, every shot was overpening BBs & cruisers.

How should I play it? Aggressively or what?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,238 posts
14,665 battles

I don't do Ranked, but Montana is my most played and successful Tier X BB.

If you're Overpenning BBs and Cruisers, to me that sounds like your aim is too high.  Your shots sound like they're landing too high in the superstructure area.

- Lower your aim, go for waterline shots if you got a broadside.  Be very careful to not fire your AP at well angled hulls / armor belts due to bounces.  Take note of the ricochet angles in this link:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Armor-Piercing

People will try to bait a somewhat favorable angle to shoot at their hull and then turn sharply while your shells in the air to bounce your shells.  This is especially true if there's some range between you, where they got time to turn while the shells are still flying, or that the ship is nimble.

If you're not getting good side angles:

Does your AP overmatch the bow?  some examples are given in the "AP Overmatch" table here: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

Go for the bow and get penetration hits at the very least, sometimes you get Citadel hits on Cruisers.

Against the BBs Montana encounters in her tier bracket (VIII-X), she cannot Overmatch any of their bows.

- You can go for turret hits if they are bow on.  If the range is close enough where you can be precise in your aim, disabling, destroying BB main battery can be decisive.  Especially against some BBs that have super squishy turret faces:  VIII-IX French BBs, 419mm armed Conqueror, German BBs, etc.

- If the target is angled, try to place shots at the base of the superstructure.  The intent is for the shells to land preferably where the superstructure and deck join.  It kind of makes it a trap for your AP to arc up and crash down for LOTS of pens.  Do not do this in knife fighting ranges, as the shell arcs will be straight and you'll get overpens.

- Another alternative is if the target isn't being stupid enough to show a good profile for you to AP, consider feeding them HE.  Montana's HE shells are quite strong and respectable fire starting.  In addition, you can send 12 shells flying.  406mm x 12 HE shells with a bunch landing in someone's face will alarm them.

Aggressive?  Passive?  You have to strike a balance.  Montana can brawl in a pinch but some of the BBs she faces are extremely dangerous in such a fight, i.e. German BBs.  The key is to be close enough where you feel accurate, efficient with your guns, but not so close that it gets your rekt by obvious focus fire.  You also don't want to get too close so that if things are starting to look stupid, you can hold your fire and "Go Dark" and break contact, do repairs, etc. while not getting shot at.  With Stealth Build, Montana gets to around 13.4km detection range, so I keep her around the 14-15km range ideally.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
829 posts
2,638 battles

Tonight I seem to be hit with desync as my shots are not going where I aim. I usually do aim at the water line but it wasn't doing me any favors. My average damage just continues to drop where I'm starting to regret buying it.

I see other Monty player's average damage & realize I am doing things WAY wrong.

I have concealment with the captain and the ship. I have the ship set up according to the wiki.

Edited by DeathLord1969

Members
180 posts
7,815 battles

I dropped T10 ranked months ago, but I have been playing TONS of Montana lately. (About 70,000 tons, in fact :Smile-_tongue:) Your struggles with her are not unusual for anyone new to the ship, and compounded by only facing the toughest of opponents in ranked. As usual, Haze offers some great advice for her, but I want to add an important note on brawling. Aiming at the waterline makes sense when fighting 90% of BBs, but against the GK and Conqueror you won't get citadels that make up for the "unders." It's better to aim maybe 3 meters above the waterline at the belt on those ships and try to maximize your regular pens.  Also, make DDs hate you. A well placed Montana salvo can halve a DD's health at 5-6km, although a 3-6K hit is what you'll typically see. One last piece of advice is to not get overeager to use your stern turrets. Whatever extra damage you do to the enemy might not be worth it when it puts your marshmellow soft citadel in front of the enemy. 

Just be thankful you're playing her now and not 2015. The skyscraper citadel made for an extremely steep learning curve. 

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
143 posts
5,070 battles

TBH, I love my Monty. She was my first T10 and historically, have done quite well with her. However, and I haven't made a determination yet if it is me or other factors, as I do fine in other BB's, but she is just not performing as well as she used to it seems. I'm getting sub-par damage and sub-par games overall. Could be RNG or could just be poor play on my part, can't tell, but something to keep in mind.

[SPTR]
Members
1,301 posts
2,249 battles

Even though I don't have her yet I heard Monty is a good all rounder BB while having AA that will shred planes

Tips for damage problems:

Don't shoot heavily angled targets

While the guns are accurate they will punish you for bad aim (hence overpens and bouncing)

use both ammo choices wisely depending on the situation

Guns are very punchy so you can overmatch CA bows at medium range (maybe a citadel)

Use the concealment to hide and then attack from an angle your target doesn't expect (meaning dont fire as soon as you see a target)

Try to keep your guns firing that will do damage over time, not in short bursts

Adrenaline rush is a recommended skill in my opinion

Edited by Ace6steel