You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Freddie_Creamer

IFHE on Cleveland

29 comments in this topic

Members
691 posts
1,115 battles

I was wondering if IFHE is a good idea or a waste of 4 points. It's been doing pretty good for me so far, but I'm looking for other opinions from people with more experience on the matter.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,852 battles

IFHE is great on any 152 CL thats not british. 

Personally, I went for concealment first and will get IFHE after I get another 4 points. Cleve with more radar range than spotting is a dangerous tool in the right hands. 

• Cool 1

[MKF]
Members
410 posts
15,094 battles

It makes a big difference. As stated above I'd take CE first as well

Members
691 posts
1,115 battles
3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

IFHE is great on any 152 CL thats not british. 

Personally, I went for concealment first and will get IFHE after I get another 4 points. Cleve with more radar range than spotting is a dangerous tool in the right hands. 

I was thinking of either picking up concealment or some AA skills but there aren't too many CVs so probably concealment.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,080 posts
14,468 battles

USN CLs really need it, namely the High Tier (VIII-X) ones.

Normal 152mm HE Penetration:  152mm / 6 = 25.33 or 25mm or armor needed to defeat this HE shell.

152mm HE + IFHE Penetration: (152mm / 6) x 1.3 = 32.93 or 33mm of armor needed to defeat this IFHE boosted HE shell.

Reference: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#HE_penetration

Against BB threats, 152mm guns will penetrate the common 25mm bows, decks, etc. of Tier VII and below Battleships.

However, against Tier VIII or higher BBs, 32mm is the minimum deck, bow armor for BBs.  152mm HE without IFHE will non-pen against that.  But with IFHE, you can.

Do remember that some ships like Tier VI+ German BBs are above that standard with 40mm, 50mm decks, so even with 152mm+IFHE, shells falling on such decks will non-pen.

Dallas at Tier VI may get away without IFHE unless it's a Tier VIII BB.  Otherwise her HE will pen most BB armor Tier VII and below.

Helena at Tier VII starts feeling that need because she can encounter the heavier armor of Tier VIII-IX BBs.  She may get away with it due to 15 HE shells flying and setting fires, but fires are RNG.

Tier VIII Cleveland will see up to Tier X.  She really, really needs it if you want consistent damage.  Sure, she will DPM Tier VI-VII BBs without IFHE just fine, but those VIII-X ones are the problem.

Members
691 posts
1,115 battles

Should I have gotten concealment first and then IFHE? It doesn't seem to matter too much either way by the way I've been playing her.

Members
691 posts
1,115 battles
Just now, BigBlackRat said:

Ifhe first, it is an island hugger anyway. 

That's why I figured it would be the better first pick.

Members
691 posts
1,115 battles

Another question to expand on this. Is there any point in going a pure AA build, hybrid build, or should I stick with doing just a pure gunnery build? That's for both skills and upgrades.

Planes don't seem to be that common right now (When they are in the game they hardly come near me. Defensive AA seems to do the job when they do) but I'm wondering about with the CV rework it would be a decision for later.

Members
9,962 posts
8 minutes ago, Freddie_Creamer said:

That's why I figured it would be the better first pick.

Here's why ifhe is such a priority on a Cleveland... 76 shatters out of 86 total shells when i first tested it without IFHE.....:Smile_teethhappy:

jw9WmMj.png

Edited by awiggin

Members
691 posts
1,115 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

Here's why ifhe is such a priority on a Cleveland... 76 shatters out of 86 total shells when i first tested it without IFHE.....:Smile_teethhappy:

jw9WmMj.png

That's why this was the only time I used elite commander xp to get IFHE.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,080 posts
14,468 battles
13 minutes ago, BigBlackRat said:

Ifhe first, it is an island hugger anyway. 

Island hugging is fantastic until you get those High Tier maps with lots and lots and lots of open water :Smile_glasses:

Members
691 posts
1,115 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Island hugging is fantastic until you get those High Tier maps with lots and lots and lots of open water :Smile_glasses:

I remember playing Cleve on the Ocean map back in the day. Those weren't fun times.

Edited by Freddie_Creamer

Members
362 posts
6 battles
25 minutes ago, Freddie_Creamer said:

Should I have gotten concealment first and then IFHE? It doesn't seem to matter too much either way by the way I've been playing her.

IfHE first. USN cruisers are island humpers, so concealment is less important. It is still important, but not as much as being able to put out damage.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,446 posts
11,750 battles
1 hour ago, Freddie_Creamer said:

I was wondering if IFHE is a good idea or a waste of 4 points. It's been doing pretty good for me so far, but I'm looking for other opinions from people with more experience on the matter.

IFHE IS SO IMPORTANT ON 152MM & 155MM cruisers that I pick it as the first 4 point skill. Next 4 points I earn goes to CE. 

• Cool 1

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,738 battles

I took IFHE captain skill over CE on my Cleveland since the Cleveland already had decent concealment with concealment upgrade. You should see a nice boost on HE damage with it and use DE as your 3rd captain skill plus two fire flags so number of fires will be same or better. I really like the Cleveland at tier 8 better than at tier 6 other than getting uptiered to tier 10 battles many times. :cap_like:

[-WPG-]
Members
802 posts
3,352 battles

You realize it's impossible to do any damage with HE on T8+ cruisers and BBs without IFHE?  Almost every cruiser starting at T8 has 25 or 27mm plating and bow/stern, which 152mm HE cannot pen.  You can't even damage T6 BB's bow stern with it.  IFHE absolutely needs to be the first 4 point skill taken, or you're just in for a long, painful, low-damage grind. 

[WOLF3]
Members
6,421 posts
2,387 battles

That's what I did.  I played mostly Scenarios with Cleveland so CE wasn't that important.  I think I'd take it first anyway, but it depends on your play style as to whether you should.

(I had the luxury of bumping up the last 1.5 points with Elite Commander XP to add CE.  A 19 point captain is so nice to have.)

14 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

IFHE absolutely needs to be the first 4 point skill taken,

See?

There are many who will argue CE first.  I think that's mostly from force of habit.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles

IFHE is a good skill that benefits most CLs.  It's not as 'mandatory' as some people like to say, but it's never a bad pick.  That said, I would take CE over IFHE and never think twice about it.  I would never consider taking IFHE before CE, EXCEPT on the Duca d'Aosta and maybe the Abruzzi.

Edited by crzyhawk

[-WPG-]
Members
802 posts
3,352 battles
18 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

IFHE is a good skill that benefits most CLs.  It's not as 'mandatory' as some people like to say, but it's never a bad pick.  That said, I would take CE over IFHE and never think twice about it.  I would never consider taking IFHE before CE, EXCEPT on the Duca d'Aosta and maybe the Abruzzi.

Either you're shooting from behind an island, where concealment is irrelevant, or you're detected, and firing at full bloom where CE doesn't matter. 

If you're not going to grind the Seattle or the Worcester, I'd say it's a tossup between IFHE and CE as the first 4 point skill. But if you are grinding up the line, it's a far longer grind if you're doing less damage with standard HE (you're limited to doing damage to non-saturated superstructures and fires).  The much higher (2x+) damage with IFHE outweighs trying to get undetected, and it's a considerably long grind from your first 4 point skill to your second (going from 10 - 14 points requires more than 3x the experience needed going from 1 - 10).

I just posted this in the Atlanta thread, which there are similar arguments.  Take a look at what you can and can't damage, with and without IFHE.  Notice everything you *cannot* damage unless you have IFHE -- pretty much everything T8+.

pens.jpg

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles

Sometimes you need to be able to go dark.  When I play open water, I watch the guns of the ships around me.  When they swing my way, I stop shooting, and they have 20 seconds to kill me before I ghost on them.  I know exactly what I can and can't damage with IFHE.  I'm not the best player, but I didn't get to have a 57% WR by being an idiot.  IFHE is /not/ mandatory.

• Bad 1

[-K-]
Supertester
3,096 posts
6,832 battles

For the reasons previously stated, IFHE is absolutely mandatory on any non-British 152mm-155mm cruiser.  It should be the first 4 point skill you take, even ahead of concealment expert.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles
2 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

For the reasons previously stated, IFHE is absolutely mandatory on any non-British 152mm-155mm cruiser.  It should be the first 4 point skill you take, even ahead of concealment expert.

Now here's someone who's better than me enough to say something I might listen to.  I still wouldn't do it, but at least you're coming from a place that I can respect.

• Bad 1