Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DouglasMacAwful

Does your spotter/fighter plane stay alive after you die?

10 comments in this topic

[-WPG-]
Members
809 posts
3,352 battles

If you know you're about to die, does it help the team to launch a spotter/fighter plane before you do? I know carrier planes zombie after the CV dies, but not sure about other ships. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,238 posts
12,778 battles

The plane will remain aloft for its active duration, then crash into the sea. So, yes, if you launch a 3 minute fighter 10 seconds before you sink, there'll be a fighter flying circles for 2m50s. Or, you know, until shot down.

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

They do. Had one launch from my Colorado shortly before I died and it hung around for some time. Not sure if they stay up the whole duration though. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,353 posts
4,275 battles
10 minutes ago, Lert said:

The plane will remain aloft for its active duration, then crash into the sea. So, yes, if you launch a 3 minute fighter 10 seconds before you sink, there'll be a fighter flying circles for 2m50s. Or, you know, until shot down.

The Evil Black Kitty speaks well. Launching your catapult fighter or spotter should be the last thing you do as you die, if you don't have the option of shooting back.

Members
644 posts
4,271 battles

Not just your fighter, throw torpedoes, shells, turn on radar, hydro...everything! Seriously, you never know what good it might do. Earlier this week I had my fighter spot 2 hidden DD's that were doing a lot of damage to my team after I had already died. Might be the difference between a win and loss, you never know.

• Cool 3

Members
2,594 posts
12,470 battles
3 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

If you know you're about to die, does it help the team to launch a spotter/fighter plane before you do? I know carrier planes zombie after the CV dies, but not sure about other ships. 

If you are an opposing DD, your spotter/fighter plane will hover over an enemy dd for 45 minutes, even while quitting the game, the spotter plane will hover over someone while walking the dog or making dinner. or at least it seems that way

[S0L0]
Members
879 posts
4,914 battles
1 hour ago, APA_204 said:

If you are an opposing DD, your spotter/fighter plane will hover over an enemy dd for 45 minutes, even while quitting the game, the spotter plane will hover over someone while walking the dog or making dinner. or at least it seems that way

Had a Graf Spee game a few weeks ago where I did exactly that to a Kamikaze division. Launched my fighters moments before their torpedo cross drop killed me, then giggled for the next 5 1/2 minutes as they tried to cap the circle I had been defending while dodging both of my planes. We won that game, in no small part due to their inability to gain that last cap.

Matt

[SYN]
Members
4,548 posts
11,437 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

Not sure it stays up for it's active duration, though.  I think its endurance is shortened after the home ship is sunk, and the patrol diameter is reduced as well.

EDIT:  Well, speaking for float fighters anyway, which stay up for much long than spotters.

Edited by Kuckoo

[POP]
Members
858 posts
9,808 battles
5 hours ago, APA_204 said:

if you are about to die, launch yo planes!

It should look like your ghost left your body and is gonna haunt the ship that sunk you for..well at least 45 minutes.

89ee2e14a74b8a93585f7d84b5701224.gif

[PVE]
Members
5,636 posts
18,228 battles

I don't use my spotter plane much, really have trouble with the view and hitting things so when I think I am about to die, I launch it to help the team out. Also if you are a carrier captain and you are going to get sunk, send your fighters to another surviving team member to cover them with that little weird three arrow icon. That way if planes get spotted nearby, the fighters will go out and attack instead of circling around waiting to plunge in the ocean. You can do the same with bombers and torp planes but they will only spot, not attack of course. 

Sign in to follow this