You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TitanicMan2

FDG - Worth keeping in port anymore?

16 comments in this topic

[-THOR]
Members
633 posts
3,274 battles

Right now I have the FDG in port (Haven't reached Grosser Kurfurst yet). But I wonder, is it worth it to use it right now? For me the Grosser Kurfurst feels powercreeped, having good secondaries at tier 9 really doesn't seem to be a big pro. Meanwhile, it has massive detection, superstructure, poor arcs, armor, etc. Is it better that I just sell it, or keep going on? Is Grosser Kurfurst also worth it for tier 10 at all? I feel like the Montana is better, a ship I already have, since it's more flexible. Or something like the Republique or Conqueror would be ships that would be better to work towards

[KAPPA]
Members
235 posts
4,409 battles

Honestly, I'd say that the deck armor being so thick is a big plus, not that I've used it. HE spaming won't do much to her unless it's a fairly large gun. That said, I'd honestly say it depends on how much you intend to close the distance, as brawling simply is what they are made for, not to mention how much you enjoy having hydro.

In the end, it's less if it's worth it, and more if you can make it worth it, just like any ship that trades its accuracy for other aspects. It's only a good trade if you want what was traded for: durability and secondaries.

Their main weakness, from what I understand, is that AP bombers can cit them now. I don't actually use them, you see. I could never get that line to work for me, but see people get it to work well all the time.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
19 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Their main weakness, from what I understand, is that AP bombers can cit them now. I don't actually use them, you see. I could never get that line to work for me, but see people get it to work well all the time.

That will change with the new CV rework. As it appears planes will mostly do DoT damage instead of alpha damage. 

[MOH]
Members
247 posts
1,277 battles

I plan on selling my FDG the moment I get the Kurfurst.  Although a straight upgrade from everything that is the Bismarck, the FDG feels woefully inadequate at T9.  After really thinking about this, the weakness I feel stems from it's lacking main battery armament.  I did notice a nice improvement to my damage once upgrading to the 420mm's, but after a game of the Massachusetts, it reinforced my belief that it's the main battery that holds the FDG back.  Point is, the FDG is otherwise a great ship, but like the Gneisenau, you can't rely on your main battery.  And at a tier where long range firepower is crucial for impacting the game, it can be frustrating to play.

With the Kurfurst though, you get a huge upgrade to your main battery. 

Alpha Tester
1,072 posts
4,514 battles

I don't understand the hate. I love the FDG. When I push in with the FDG more friendly vessels tend to follow than I've noticed with any other ship. Long range fire support for the first three or four minutes of the match, then point the nose in and light them up with your secondaries. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,353 battles

For me its not worth it. The main battery is just worthless. I have had some good games in it but for the most part it simply is not fun to miss 6 of 8 properly aimed shells (even at less than 10k) practically all of the time. I might move my commander back to Scharnhorst and sell it without finishing the research for GK.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,810 battles
2 hours ago, TitanicMan2 said:

Right now I have the FDG in port (Haven't reached Grosser Kurfurst yet). But I wonder, is it worth it to use it right now? For me the Grosser Kurfurst feels powercreeped, having good secondaries at tier 9 really doesn't seem to be a big pro. Meanwhile, it has massive detection, superstructure, poor arcs, armor, etc. Is it better that I just sell it, or keep going on? Is Grosser Kurfurst also worth it for tier 10 at all? I feel like the Montana is better, a ship I already have, since it's more flexible. Or something like the Republique or Conqueror would be ships that would be better to work towards

I free exp to Grosser having accumulated 176k on Freddie and too many headaches.

I have 3 tier 10 battleships.  Republique, Yammy and grosser.

Grosser is good if played right with patience.  If you have Monty, you can skip her.

[POTW]
Members
14 posts
1,333 battles

I'll probably end up selling my FDG when I unlock GK, but I really don't mind playing the ship. I've had the best luck with the 406's + the TIX Main Battery 3 modification upgrade + Adrenaline Rush, but maybe that's just me. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,225 posts
14,647 battles

I kept my FDG for several reasons.

I got her when the line was new.

Nostalgia.  She was extremely good to me.  This was at a time when Iowa / Missouri had skyscraper citadels and easy to kill.  Izumo had no buffs.  It was only IJN - USN - German BBs.  FDG's claim to fame that no other BB in Tier IX had was survival.

Because of the above, I got the Perma-Camo for her.

So I'm kind of stuck with her now.  She's not ideal for today's WoWS.  Other BB Lines are as sturdy as German ones now.

[MOH]
Members
247 posts
1,277 battles
On 9/29/2018 at 4:25 PM, TitanicMan2 said:

So, update from my previous post, as I now have the Kurfurst.  Although I've only played 3 games in it so far, I think you're going to find that the Kurfurst is absolutely worth the grind.  As you describe, the Friedrich is a rough ship.  Its woefully lacking in the main battery department, it pretty much requires IFHE to add anything of substance from its secondaries, and the firing angles suck.  The Kurfurst retains the poor firing angles of the Friedrich, but is so vastly superior to the Friedrich in every possible way that it's not even funny.

It's almost like playing a Montana, but its secondaries don't suck. 

[TIBN]
Beta Testers
50 posts
5,011 battles

I recently got the FDG and I hate it the more I play it. I've tried pushing but no one really follows, I've tried taking my time but my shells can't hit anything ( not even at 10kms). Seems like the rare times I do actually get a pen shot, it does ridiculously low damage (I am seriously tired of seeing 1160 when having a pen). I honestly am angry at having spent so many credits to buy it. It is the biggest waste of my time.

[NMKJT]
Members
1,762 posts
5,008 battles

I kept my FDG, and got 210k damage with it, mostly with the main guns. In this meta it's not very good, but GK isn't very far off from that either. You get 4 more guns, but GK is even bigger so it eats damage even better.

[MOH]
Members
247 posts
1,277 battles
8 hours ago, Cereberus99 said:

I recently got the FDG and I hate it the more I play it. I've tried pushing but no one really follows, I've tried taking my time but my shells can't hit anything ( not even at 10kms). Seems like the rare times I do actually get a pen shot, it does ridiculously low damage (I am seriously tired of seeing 1160 when having a pen). I honestly am angry at having spent so many credits to buy it. It is the biggest waste of my time.

As a player who also hated the FdG, I can attest that the Kurfurst is worth your while.  I mean, heck, I averaged less damage in the FdG than I did the Bismarck.  Yet, the Kurfurst, in the few games I've played in it so far, is my highest damaging ship.  It's everything you want in a brawler and then some. 

[TIBN]
Beta Testers
50 posts
5,011 battles
2 hours ago, Ranari said:

As a player who also hated the FdG, I can attest that the Kurfurst is worth your while.  I mean, heck, I averaged less damage in the FdG than I did the Bismarck.  Yet, the Kurfurst, in the few games I've played in it so far, is my highest damaging ship.  It's everything you want in a brawler and then some. 

Good to know because I've heard some say it's very similar to the Kurfurst and if that were to be the case, I don't want more of the same only a little bit more. I can confirm that the difference between T9s and T10s are worlds apart for many lines, I wanted to be sure that this was one of those lines. I may wait for the next PTS to try her out again. Really wish we could try all boats in the training room prior to spending credits and FreeXP on them.

[MOH]
Members
247 posts
1,277 battles
40 minutes ago, Cereberus99 said:

Good to know because I've heard some say it's very similar to the Kurfurst and if that were to be the case, I don't want more of the same only a little bit more. I can confirm that the difference between T9s and T10s are worlds apart for many lines, I wanted to be sure that this was one of those lines. I may wait for the next PTS to try her out again. Really wish we could try all boats in the training room prior to spending credits and FreeXP on them.

I was hesitant as well my friend.  I'm of the opinion, and this is purely opinion, that the first three T9 tech tree ships that were designed, the Iowa, Izumo, and Friedrich, followed a design philosophy that made these ships harder to play, much less forgiving, and lacked obvious elements in their design that prevented them from being able to truly fulfill their intended role.  Mind you, T9's mostly play in T10 environments, which are emphasized by very high lethality, long range engagements, and lots of tool usage (Hydro, Radar, etc).  As a result, it made them very not fun and challenging to play.  I believe later T9 ships balanced those elements across T8 and T9 a little more, making ships like the Lion and Alsace more favorable and forgiving in the top end environment.  The stats greatly support my hypothesis, but it's purely that; hypothesis.

Assuming you can make it past the T9 "Hell Level", their respective T10 counterparts, the Montana, Yamato, and Kurfurst, are monsters.  But to point out specifically what I'm referring to:

• The Iowa is fast, lethal, and very fragile, and player mistakes are brutally punished.  Comparatively, the Montana is very heavily armored, and much more forgiving to player mistakes.  It's added 3 guns just takes its lethality to the next level.
  • The Izumo lacks the long range penetration necessary for its intended role, as it's penetration curve drops very sharply with distance.  Comparatively, the Yamato/Musashi have the best long range penetration in the game.
  • The Friedrich's main and secondary battery performance is woefully lacking for its tier.  The main battery fires too few shells and is too inaccurate for long range engagements, and its secondary battery requires IFHE to get anything done.  It is reasonably tough, but it can't kill anything.  Comparatively, the 4 added guns with the Kurfurst are exactly what it needed, and it's secondary battery is lethal beyond words. 

Keep your chin up.  The Kurfurst is awesome.