You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gillhunter

Bert Dunkirk

25 comments in this topic

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
382 posts
18,376 battles

I have enough sovereigns to buy Bert Dunkirk, but I'm not sure what ship to use him in. If you have him what ship do you have him on and why? Thanks in advance.

[ENDVR]
Members
427 posts
5,344 battles

New RN DDs with the upgraded Jack of all Trades.  But, other than that, he’s just all-around good and should probably be put on the boat you expect to play the most so he levels faster.

Edited by SmokeHenge

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,417 posts
9,606 battles

RN cruisers and DDs.  Was originally meant for the Gallant and the first run of Dynamo.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts

I had him, but he's gone now. Apparently he was peeking into the shower of the pink haired Nazi vampire chick on the HSF Graf Spee,  and she caught and exsanguinated him.

• Funny 3

[WOLF2]
Members
895 posts
7,289 battles

Been on vacation since the last patch dropped.    I have Jack Dunkirk.    Is Bert a duplicate?   The description on the web page seems ambiguous, and it's not clear if you can get Bert if you already have Jack.

WG considers these one and the same?   Or separate?

[HINON]
Members
9,047 posts
1 minute ago, DiddleDum said:

Been on vacation since the last patch dropped.    I have Jack Dunkirk.    Is Bert a duplicate?   The description on the web page seems ambiguous, and it's not clear if you can get Bert if you already have Jack.

They are separate. 

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,129 posts
6,814 battles
1 minute ago, DiddleDum said:

Basically Bert was a way to get the original for any of us not around during the original event. Now, it's possible to get both of them with the arsenal allowing you to complete the Dunkirk collection.

[PVE]
Members
9,807 posts
7,492 battles
31 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

I have enough sovereigns to buy Bert Dunkirk, but I'm not sure what ship to use him in. If you have him what ship do you have him on and why? Thanks in advance.

I have Jack Dunkirk on Fiji and he will be permanent there or Edinburgh. With JoAT, EM, SSE, he works well on UK CLs and DDs, but Neptune and Minotaur have fast enough turrets.

I just got Bert Dunkirk and it depends on if I get an early access Jervis mission or not. The UK DDs up through Jervis have slow turrets and that is fixed with Lightning 9 sec and Jutland/Daring 7.2 sec. So if I get Edinburgh first then there, otherwise Jervis.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,192 posts
18,932 battles

Honestly: the best ship was the Belfast. 

The problem with him is:  there aren’t any high tier RN ships that profit from all his skills. EM is a waste on the cruisers and DD because the turrets are fast enough and there are better skills to invest in. BB have no smoke. Faster CD for the consumables on the DD‘s is a waste. Repair and smoke are already very fast, maybe only for the heal they plan for the T9/10 DD. 

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
189 posts
5,157 battles
47 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

I haven't acquired either one yet, but I'm likely to in the near future. Having thought about it a long time, I have concluded the best boats for them are Neptune, Edinburgh, and Fiji, but only if you are going smoke build instead of radar. The best way to build them to 19 points is with four different 2 point skills instead of two 4 point skills, with Adrenaline Rush, Expert Marksman, Jack of All Trades, and Smokescreen Expert, with Concealment Expert as the lone four point skill. Sadly, Minotaur is not a good fit, with turret traverse fast enough EM would be wasted.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles
57 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Honestly: the best ship was the Belfast. 

The problem with him is:  there aren’t any high tier RN ships that profit from all his skills. EM is a waste on the cruisers and DD because the turrets are fast enough and there are better skills to invest in. BB have no smoke. Faster CD for the consumables on the DD‘s is a waste. Repair and smoke are already very fast, maybe only for the heal they plan for the T9/10 DD. 

I don't consider the turrets a waste on the cruisers.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
1 hour ago, DiddleDum said:

He's a seperate captain you can have both.

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
382 posts
18,376 battles

I think I'm going to hold off for now. I have high point captains on my T7,8,9 and 10 British Cruisers and I'm not feeling the love for their DDs yet.

[PVE]
Members
9,807 posts
7,492 battles
2 minutes ago, Hangoverhomey said:

He's my warspite / hood captain now.

When you get Iron Duke, I would move him over to ID and move the captain up the line to as far as you are going with the UK BBs. That way you can grind him on a tech tree ship and then the two premium ships. 

Members
1,509 posts
7,515 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

When you get Iron Duke, I would move him over to ID and move the captain up the line to as far as you are going with the UK BBs. That way you can grind him on a tech tree ship and then the two premium ships. 

I have the iron duke but I don't intend to ever grind up the line further, I will likely only ever run those 2 british bb's from here on out.  Good advice otherwise though.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,894 posts
10,708 battles
22 hours ago, gillhunter said:

I have Jack and Bert (sounds like Sesame Street LOL). Jack is on Neptune. Bert is on Monarch.

Monarch is not a good use of Bert (I know I know before someone jumps me LOL) but I needed a Capt for Monarch (repurchased it after finishing the 2nd Anv collection through arsenal and getting the special Monarch perma camo)and he was in my reserves and at least Monarch benefits from his enhanced EM skill. He would be best used on a BRN DD or CL.

A CL or DD can make use of all his special skills with EM, SSE, and JOAT. The EM doesn't give as much benefit to the highest tier DD's or Minotaur (especially Mino) but the other 2 skills would and overall all the skills would be very useful. I will eventually move him to a DD or CL. Might put him on Fiji which is a favorite of mine. 

[PVE]
Members
5,651 posts
18,247 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have Jack and Bert (sounds like Sesame Street LOL). Jack is on Neptune. Bert is on Monarch.

Monarch is not a good use of Bert (I know I know before someone jumps me LOL) but I needed a Capt for Monarch (repurchased it after finishing the 2nd Anv collection through arsenal and getting the special Monarch perma camo)and he was in my reserves and at least Monarch benefits from his enhanced EM skill. He would be best used on a BRN DD or CL.

A CL or DD can make use of all his special skills with EM, SSE, and JOAT. The EM doesn't give as much benefit to the highest tier DD's or Minotaur (especially Mino) but the other 2 skills would and overall all the skills would be very useful. I will eventually move him to a DD or CL. Might put him on Fiji which is a favorite of mine. 

I have both of them as well. Jack is my 19 pointer and is assigned to Edinburgh although I really want to put him back on Fiji... I just got Bert from the Arsenal and have plans to put him on Belfast. Jack does ok on Belfast, but want a captain specifically for her since she could use IFHE plus all his special skills will work quite well on Belfast.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,894 posts
10,708 battles
5 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have both of them as well. Jack is my 19 pointer and is assigned to Edinburgh although I really want to put him back on Fiji... I just got Bert from the Arsenal and have plans to put him on Belfast. Jack does ok on Belfast, but want a captain specifically for her since she could use IFHE plus all his special skills will work quite well on Belfast.

Yup, Belfast would be a good option too it would just have to be  Belfast specific build as it wouldn't work well with the other BRN CL's. But that is kind of where we are now anyway using a regular BRN CL Capt on Belfast so LOL.

[NNA]
Members
201 posts
5,742 battles

I have Bert Dunkirk in the Warspite for the time being to build up skill points. I'm two items away from getting Jack Dunkirk and will probably put him in the Gallant. That is, once I get enough coal to purchase 5 Dunkirk containers.

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,621 battles

He's good for CLs and DDs. Particularly Cls imo since the larger smoke radius give Cls more room to manoeuvre while shooting from within the smoke. RN DD smokes don't last long enough and is used mainly for defensive retreats, that diminishes the effectiveness of the smoke radius perk. 

Personally though I'll rather save the sovereign up for the Warspite lol 

Edited by LancasterOne

[AAA]
Members
439 posts
5,476 battles

EM improvement would work great with the BB line. Those turrets need WD40, the mid tier cruisers, not Neptune or Mino, and mid tier dds up to t7 Jervis and the Cossack and Gallant. Lighting and forward doesn’t need EM

[PVE]
Members
9,807 posts
7,492 battles
7 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

EM improvement would work great with the BB line. Those turrets need WD40, the mid tier cruisers, not Neptune or Mino, and mid tier dds up to t7 Jervis and the Cossack and Gallant. Lighting and forward doesn’t need EM

Yeah,  the DDs up to T7 could use some EM help. The UK CLs up to Edinburgh can use some EM help. The BBs certainly can, but you lose out on the SSE skill boost as UK BBs do not have smoke.