BB24

Signal Flags - Naming Background

6 comments in this topic

[TWBNS]
[TWBNS]
Beta Testers
17 posts
6,164 battles

Is there a purpose behind the naming of the signal flags?  I know some of the naming conventions correlate to the alphabet, Alpha = A, Bravo = B, Charlie = C, etc.  But when it gets to SetteSeven, does that represent "77" (Sette I think is 7 in Italian).  But what about "SoxiSix" and "Juliet Yankee Bissotwo"?  Is that supposed to be "JY22" or "JY2"?  What does JY22 even mean?  Is there a historic background to the name or does it have a specific meaning to those serving in the naval forces?  We know the "Z" flag and "Equal Speed Charlie London" and why they are now famous, but why did Togo and Nelson select those specific flags?

I'd love to see WG researchers offer this up as another historic series, similar to what this web author has done:  http://tmg110.tripod.com/japan1.htm

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
678 posts
3,837 battles

I can’t answer as to the historical meaning, as to the SetteSeven, UnaOne, etc  it’s because there is a “One” flag and a “One” pennant which are two different flags in a flag bag.

One means the One flag and UnaOne means the One pennant.

at least for NATO ships, there is a tactical code book which lists all the signals and it is meant for use over three different transmissions methods: flag hoist, flashing light, and radio transmission.

The signals in the game don’t correspond with anything in the current code book. So I don’t know if wargaming based them off anything historical or if they just made them up.  There is no India Delta or India Yankee signal, etc.  so because Juliet Yankee BissoTwo is a pennant 2 and not 2 it’s written as JYp2 when writing down signals received in a signal log and not JY2.

one they could implement is “BZ” which does decode as “Well Done” in today’s code book.

one flag I was always on the look out for if we were steaming in a column formation was the “zero” flag if it ever got hoisted on the ship immediately in front of me.  “Zero” meant breakdown. And it meant the ships behind the stricken ship in the column needed to avoid the ship that broke down.   even numbered ships in the column peeled off to port, odd numbered ships peeled off to starboard.

Edited by wtfovr

[JFSOC]
Members
934 posts
2,818 battles

There are actual signal flag combinations, along with pennants and day shapes that have specific meanings when hoisted.  

Single flag meanings:

flags2.gif

Then there's a boat load of combination ones using 2 to 4 flags.  Here's a sample:

GW444H845

Then there are day shapes and navigation lights:

sail_away_girl_lights_mousemat.jpg

The combinations in the game were made up for the game.  They use actual signal flag shapes and colors, but the combinations aren't official maritime ones.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,810 posts
10,336 battles
1 hour ago, Murotsu said:

The combinations in the game were made up for the game. 

Equal-speed Charlie London at least is a historic hoist, used at Jutland:

image.png.c75d7689c4c25e4a3ae206a86561d45f.png

The standalone Zulu is too, used by the IJN at Tsushima.

[JFSOC]
Members
934 posts
2,818 battles
56 minutes ago, mofton said:

Equal-speed Charlie London at least is a historic hoist, used at Jutland:

image.png.c75d7689c4c25e4a3ae206a86561d45f.png

The standalone Zulu is too, used by the IJN at Tsushima.

As I pointed out, there are lots and lots of pennant combinations, and on top of that, not all the historic flags and pennants are still in use today.

[TWBNS]
[TWBNS]
Beta Testers
17 posts
6,164 battles

Thanks all.  This context helps a landlubber greatly.  I had no idea about the difference between the flag and pennant that wtfovr pointed out.  So now the question that remains is whether or not WG is basing their remaining schemes ("Zulu" and "Equal-Speed Charlie London" excepted) on some historical code books or using "WG Fiction".  If they are historic code books, I would like to hear more.

Sign in to follow this