Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NotoriousRNG

Battleship players: Interested in winning?

65 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

431
[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
12,185 battles

Here is the secret:

When the DD has been F3 that radar cruiser for 5 minutes: SHOOT THE %&@@# THING. I DON'T KNOW? KILL IT SO IT CAN'T PUSH THE MAGIC BUTTON AND SINK YOUR DD'S.

Thats it. That is how you win. SHOOT, THE RADAR CRUISERS. Not the angled battleship 12km behind it. I am a DD who is trying to win the game for you.

Shoot.

The.

Radar.

Cruisers.

This sets off a chain reaction - it lets your DD's move out further, spotting, and putting pressure on the enemy team to fall back. They concede map control, and you get the points for the caps.

 

Please, for the love of whomever you worship. When a DD spots a radar cruiser: Shoot the damn thing.

Edited by NotoriousRNG
  • Cool 25
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,833
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,156 posts
14,555 battles

People will shoot at the weirdest things at times.

 

A DD for the team spots a Radar Cruiser, 12-13km from the team's BBs and the BBs don't notice and shoot at the Yamato 18-19km away, not the easy to delete Radar Cruiser.

 

I play a Radar Cruiser, a DD spots me trying to help at the caps, all the BBs of the enemy team promptly send shells my way.

 

I play a Radar Cruiser, Des Moines in this case, I got friendly ships not too far behind me.  I creep up to a cap and I pop Radar, and I spot 2 DDs in there.  For the entire duration of my Radar charge, I'm the only one shooting at the DDs.  Everyone else is shooting at the Yamato 18-19km away.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
409
[WOLFB]
Members
1,732 posts
8,284 battles

Better complain about how Harugumo is a broken ship when no one target him, it's better :Smile_facepalm:

 

Also better ignore all radar cruiser because "muh AP bounces"

Edited by AlcatrazNC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
311
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
6 minutes ago, NotoriousRNG said:

Here is the secret:

When the DD has been F3 that radar cruiser for 5 minutes: SHOOT THE %&@@# THING. I DON'T KNOW? KILL IT SO IT CAN'T PUSH THE MAGIC BUTTON AND SINK YOUR DD'S.

Thats it. That is how you win. SHOOT, THE RADAR CRUISERS. Not the angled battleship 12km behind it. I am a DD who is trying to win the game for you.

Shoot.

The.

Radar.

Cruisers.

This sets off a chain reaction - it lets your DD's move out further, spotting, and putting pressure on the enemy team to fall back. They concede map control, and you get the points for the caps.

 

Please, for the love of whomever you worship. When a DD spots a radar cruiser: Shoot the damn thing.

Ahhh...I can only assume a post from a disgruntled DD player that is butthurt because *gasp* other, random players didn't drop everything they were doing to make YOUR game better. Could be wrong but this is a fairly common rant.

While in some instances it has merit, often the ranter lacks perspective. Have you considered that maybe BB turrets have a relatively slow traverse? That maybe your BBs don't have a shot due to range limitations or intervening terrain? Most cruisers do tend to hump islands.

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, there was an existential threat in their faces that were a higher priority?

Don't get me wrong...I've seen BBs hammer a way at well angled red BBs for next to no gain, ignoring broadside squishies for whatever reason. Seen BBs sail AWAY from caps when they were the only ships in proximity, and letting us lose on points. I feel some of the pain the small boy community feels.

I also know they tend to whine and cry about things without doing their due diligence. Too many times I see DD and CA/CL players rush forward and outstrip the range of their support and get deleted. That's everybody else's fault though.

Just a thought.

  • Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[OBS]
Members
133 posts
656 battles

yah um playing a dd is very masochistic. random tat i mean players don't really grasp backing u up or pushing caps. still ive been forged in the fires of war-gaming artillery hell. compared to that even in this meta playing dd's is relaxing. bring it on mashed i mean random que players, do your worst. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
16 posts
3,585 battles
1 minute ago, BBsquid said:

Ahhh...I can only assume a post from a disgruntled DD player that is butthurt because *gasp* other, random players didn't drop everything they were doing to make YOUR game better. Could be wrong but this is a fairly common rant.

While in some instances it has merit, often the ranter lacks perspective. Have you considered that maybe BB turrets have a relatively slow traverse? That maybe your BBs don't have a shot due to range limitations or intervening terrain? Most cruisers do tend to hump islands.

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, there was an existential threat in their faces that were a higher priority?

Don't get me wrong...I've seen BBs hammer a way at well angled red BBs for next to no gain, ignoring broadside squishies for whatever reason. Seen BBs sail AWAY from caps when they were the only ships in proximity, and letting us lose on points. I feel some of the pain the small boy community feels.

I also know they tend to whine and cry about things without doing their due diligence. Too many times I see DD and CA/CL players rush forward and outstrip the range of their support and get deleted. That's everybody else's fault though.

Just a thought.

Enemy radar cruisers are almost always a top priority. 

Targeting them might help you with that WR of yours.

  • Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[OBS]
Members
133 posts
656 battles
3 minutes ago, BBsquid said:

Ahhh...I can only assume a post from a disgruntled DD player that is butthurt because *gasp* other, random players didn't drop everything they were doing to make YOUR game better. Could be wrong but this is a fairly common rant.

While in some instances it has merit, often the ranter lacks perspective. Have you considered that maybe BB turrets have a relatively slow traverse? That maybe your BBs don't have a shot due to range limitations or intervening terrain? Most cruisers do tend to hump islands.

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, there was an existential threat in their faces that were a higher priority?

Don't get me wrong...I've seen BBs hammer a way at well angled red BBs for next to no gain, ignoring broadside squishies for whatever reason. Seen BBs sail AWAY from caps when they were the only ships in proximity, and letting us lose on points. I feel some of the pain the small boy community feels.

I also know they tend to whine and cry about things without doing their due diligence. Too many times I see DD and CA/CL players rush forward and outstrip the range of their support and get deleted. That's everybody else's fault though.

Just a thought.

que joker not sure if serious face here. you back up your dds you win, you dont u loose its that simple.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
311
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
4 minutes ago, Mothermoy said:

que joker not sure if serious face here. you back up your dds you win, you dont u loose its that simple.

There's this thing called synergy. If you rush off into a cap at match start and leave my waddling 21 or 23kt booty in the dust and then get blapped before I'm even close to getting into mutual support range... you would be the [edited]. That blazing speed gives you the ability to drop back and let support catch up, too.

Haze brought up the good point that we have all seen: the BB banging away uselessly at the Yamato 20 k away when there are more lucrative and easier targets up close. That is truly a head scratcher.

Conversely.. for those that DONT do that and look for squishies ( I personally favor killing small, HE spamming buggers to keep the flames down), consider that long reload, slow turret traverse, and the fact that worthwhile shots on the radar boat may have evaporated while the guns were swinging around. 

You can deny it but it appears the simple fact is DDs and cruisers DEMAND support but are loathe to give it in return. If you play selfishly, maybe you reap what you sow?

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
311
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
23 minutes ago, DovaSaltyPhD said:

Enemy radar cruisers are almost always a top priority. 

Targeting them might help you with that WR of yours.

Easy there, princess. 

First, radar ships are ALWAYS a priority target, not almost always. Why? 1) they give freedom of maneuver to light forces, and 2) they are soft and squishy, easier to drop than some 40000k ton brick covered in 12"+ of armor plate.

Second, while touched that a tool like you is worried about my WR, my advice is worry about your own yard, not your neighbor's. As for me, considering what my WR used to be, I'm ok with it. Its improving slowly---i spent way too.much time in my early days d@cking around---and it's an uphill struggle to undo what I have dorked up. Progress, not perfection. ONE day I will get it where it needs to be. May help some if I stop letting my nephew play on my account, too. Family first though.

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,273
[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
33 minutes ago, DovaSaltyPhD said:

Enemy radar cruisers are almost always a top priority. 

Targeting them might help you with that WR of yours.

Lol that is why I typically am NOT a Radar CA, lol that way I live a little longer. And by surviving longer,  do more since enemy team will not freak out and either by good play or complete panic focus fire me to death... :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
16 posts
3,585 battles
3 minutes ago, BBsquid said:

Easy there, princess. 

First, radar ships are ALWAYS a priority target, not almost always. Why? 1) they give freedom of maneuver to light forces, and 2) they are soft and squishy, easier to drop than some 40000k ton brick covered in 12"+ of armor plate.

Second, while touched that a tool like you is worried about my WR, my advice is worry about your own yard, not your neighbor's. As for me, considering what my WR used to be, I'm ok with it. Its improving slowly---i spent way too.much time in my early days d@cking around---and it's an uphill struggle to undo what I have dorked up. Progress, not perfection. ONE day I will get it where it needs to be. May help some if I stop letting my nephew play on my account, too. Family first though.

The only reason I looked up your WR was because you started your post like this: 

 

46 minutes ago, BBsquid said:

I can only assume a post from a disgruntled DD player that is butthurt because *gasp* other, random players didn't drop everything they were doing to make YOUR game better.

 

It was evident that you could talk the talk, but I became curious if you could walk the walk, as it were.

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9
[KENT]
Members
54 posts
366 battles

You miss one little thing. 

BB players who actually know how to play target ships that are easy to be killed, which means they will focus radar ships when it’s possible to cause consistent damage (as example, I don’t shoot DM until it shows me broadside when I play Alsace, because I can’t overmatch 27-mm armor).

BB players who don’t know how to play won’t even notice your post I think. 

 

P.S. I wanted to tell that you’re crying here at first, but I know too much about this kind of pain when your teammates ruin the whole battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
311
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
4 minutes ago, DovaSaltyPhD said:

The only reason I looked up your WR was because you started your post like this: 

 

 

It was evident that you could talk the talk, but I became curious if you could walk the walk, as it were.

Oh  not even close,  my good man. There is nothing but room for improvement in my game...and lots of it. Well, technically I could really tank but that's not the desired outcome.

My poorly worded point is that too many fail to work as a team. Those one-sided curbstomps that plague us? One side is synergizing and playing together while the other team is playing 12 SP games.

Its easy to complain about this or that type, but unless you are dead and spectating its difficult if not impossible to know why player X is doing or not doing Z. Sometimes there are good reasons and sometimes you get THAT guy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
244
[TMS]
Members
1,741 posts
22,088 battles
2 hours ago, NotoriousRNG said:

Here is the secret:

When the DD has been F3 that radar cruiser for 5 minutes: SHOOT THE %&@@# THING. I DON'T KNOW? KILL IT SO IT CAN'T PUSH THE MAGIC BUTTON AND SINK YOUR DD'S.

Thats it. That is how you win. SHOOT, THE RADAR CRUISERS. Not the angled battleship 12km behind it. I am a DD who is trying to win the game for you.

Shoot.

The.

Radar.

Cruisers.

This sets off a chain reaction - it lets your DD's move out further, spotting, and putting pressure on the enemy team to fall back. They concede map control, and you get the points for the caps.

 

Please, for the love of whomever you worship. When a DD spots a radar cruiser: Shoot the damn thing.

BBs to often try to tell DDs what to do but they rarely do what the DDs want them to do.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,177 posts

As a BB main I typically shoot at the ship which presents the best target to me to maximize my damage dealt to the enemy.  I can shoot every 30 seconds or so depending on the BB, and you want me to waste a shot at a highly maneuverable target that's far away and chances of hitting are slim to none.  That's a wasted shot and puts the team at a disadvantage.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,386
[HINON]
Members
9,041 posts
35 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

BBs to often try to tell DDs what to do but they rarely do what the DDs want them to do.

 

More generally, players often try to tell other players what to do but they rarely do what the first players want them to do. This isn't some unique problem to one particular ship type. This is the nature of online gamers.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
570
[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,799 battles
3 hours ago, NotoriousRNG said:

Here is the secret:

When the DD has been F3 that radar cruiser for 5 minutes: SHOOT THE %&@@# THING. I DON'T KNOW? KILL IT SO IT CAN'T PUSH THE MAGIC BUTTON AND SINK YOUR DD'S.

Thats it. That is how you win. SHOOT, THE RADAR CRUISERS. Not the angled battleship 12km behind it. I am a DD who is trying to win the game for you.

Shoot.

The.

Radar.

Cruisers.

This sets off a chain reaction - it lets your DD's move out further, spotting, and putting pressure on the enemy team to fall back. They concede map control, and you get the points for the caps.

 

Please, for the love of whomever you worship. When a DD spots a radar cruiser: Shoot the damn thing.

True story bro!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
64
[SHAN]
Beta Testers
328 posts

Sweet yummy DD mafia tears of rage, the only thing that would ever tempt me to play PvP.  NAH, because they are just reason 4682 that I don't play PvP. Despite how yummy they are, they are made of PvP toxicity. Besides I see more than enough PvP mains in PvE.

 

Cirran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1 post
1,249 battles

As a painfully mediocre BB player, perhaps I can provide some insight...I fully acknowledge that good DD players turn the tide of battles, and that facilitating them is a good thing.  As a BB player, I see my job as primarily a fire support role...both giving it, and taking it (I take those hits so you don't have to...).  My personal "style" --if you can call it that-- is  to push forward with the DDs and CAs (at least as forward as my 20kt max speed will allow)...I also tend to die alot doing this, but I --just like everyone else--hate those BB players that hang out on the edge of the map with 95% of their HPs while the rest of the team is getting clobbered; sniping at that Yamato (or finishing off the ships that the rest of the team died trying to beat without support).

As a BB player (even a crappy one) I  LIVE to find that CA (radar or otherwise) out in the open, showing broadsides, and begging to be "deleted" --but more often than not, what you have are CAs and DDs  hiding behind an island, while he and two or three of his friends,  hose me down with HE and torps. Usually they are  behind an island where they can shoot over, but due to the angle and trajectory of my rounds, I can't hit back...or if I do, it is a negligible 1200 pt partial hit/ricochet or overpen of the few pixels of ship the CA player has allowed to "poke out".    Not to mention that, after I have been set on fire several times, at this point in the fight, the enemy  BBs on the edge of the map will now start sniping me to try and steal the kill from the CAs... where are MY "little friends" then? 

If there is a BB player shooting an angled  Yamato at 20ks when there is a radar CA showing broadsides 5ks away, well, you are correct, that is just dumb...but that situation doesn't come up as often as you might think....

Not all BB players are retarded or selfish...maybe we are doing the best we can, given the current situation.  Also I might point out that  if your "winning strategy" hinges on the success/failure of the least talented/skilled 'weekend players' in the game, then maybe your strategy could use some revision? 

I guess if I have a point at all, is that we need each other to be successful. 

My $.02

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

The only BB I drive these days is the North Carolina. I rarely shoot at targets beyond 15k. Then only other BBs that are broadside or mostly stationary ships. I have zero problems shooting at camping radar cruisers because As I mostly drive DDs at this time I know how they effect the game. 

Edited by Sped_Gax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,734
Members
18,271 posts
5,224 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

People will shoot at the weirdest things at times.

 

A DD for the team spots a Radar Cruiser, 12-13km from the team's BBs and the BBs don't notice and shoot at the Yamato 18-19km away, not the easy to delete Radar Cruiser.

 

I play a Radar Cruiser, a DD spots me trying to help at the caps, all the BBs of the enemy team promptly send shells my way.

 

I play a Radar Cruiser, Des Moines in this case, I got friendly ships not too far behind me.  I creep up to a cap and I pop Radar, and I spot 2 DDs in there.  For the entire duration of my Radar charge, I'm the only one shooting at the DDs.  Everyone else is shooting at the Yamato 18-19km away.

Yup, that's why I usually use Chappy or Baltimore radar when I want to use it. It's not that I'm selfish, I just don't want to set myself up as a target, and then waste the radar anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,734
Members
18,271 posts
5,224 battles
50 minutes ago, BeerHunter06 said:

Also I might point out that  if your "winning strategy" hinges on the success/failure of the least talented/skilled 'weekend players' in the game, then maybe your strategy could use some revision? 

Agreed. So many players complain about "bad players", but continue to expect to play as if their team was an organised clan.

Some of the worst are those who are used to, or at least have a fair bit of, divisioning experience.

If the right thing to do requires a level of cooperation that isn't available, it's not the right thing to do.

I play solo, and I tend to avoid leading, but am more of a follower. That way, I don't end up trying to do something that requires help, and discovering I have none. And it also assures that anyone else I see trying to lead will always have at least some help. (and if it looks like they're going to bail, I can bail too)

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

It seems to me that BB players are more interested in damage farming than winning battles. Sometimes you will get a team that will move in on objectives and support the scouts but, the meta has changed and more people just seem to hang back and shoot now.

To be honest I think this is what War Gaming is promoting as they reward players who do this in ranked battles.  Hey it doesn't matter if you lose you get to keep your star because you would not push in and support your team..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
244
[TMS]
Members
1,741 posts
22,088 battles
29 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

It seems to me that BB players are more interested in damage farming than winning battles. Sometimes you will get a team that will move in on objectives and support the scouts but, the meta has changed and more people just seem to hang back and shoot now.

To be honest I think this is what War Gaming is promoting as they reward players who do this in ranked battles.  Hey it doesn't matter if you lose you get to keep your star because you would not push in and support your team..............

Hence why i don't follow the meta which consists of players do the same thing over and over again and a win is a coin flip because both sides keep on doing the expected things.

So i started to do the unexpected to the annoyance of my meta teammates but it got results in the long run because the red team was not expecting it either.

Long flanks, capping and back capping and having the fire power when needed and not damage farming with the rest of the team, i play to win and ranked out.

IMVddn.png

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×