Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WES_HoundDog

Kurfurst 406 and 420 accuracy

13 comments in this topic

Members
454 posts
8,492 battles

Is the sigma on Grober Kurfurst's 406 and 420's the same?   If it is,  should it be?

Edited by WES_HoundDog

Members
16,048 posts
14,436 battles

It's 1.8.

AFAIK the only times WG changes Sigma for the same battleship that has a different set of guns to research into, is when the number of guns change, i.e. 12 gun Conqueror in 419mm to 8 gun Conqueror with 457mm.  Even Lion who starts with 406mm and can research into 419mm, still maintains the same Sigma throughout.  FDG with the same German 406mm / 420mm options keeps the same Sigma.

Check the "Fitting Tool" if you want.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
454 posts
8,492 battles

Ah ok, i was under the impression that it when from 12 guns down to 8 when upgraded to 420's.    My bad, it's been a long time since i've looked at the ship.

[SIDE]
Members
1,406 posts
56 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Ah ok, i was under the impression that it when from 12 guns down to 8 when upgraded to 420's.    My bad, it's been a long time since i've looked at the ship.

No. Conq goes from 12 to 8 when you “upgrade” to the 18 inch guns. I run the big guns on my kurf. They reload a little slower but they hit a little harder too. I’m willing to make that trade off although some folks aren’t. 

Edited by thebigblue

[WOLF5]
Members
275 posts
5,205 battles
6 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

No. Conq goes from 12 to 8 when you “upgrade” to the 18 inch guns. I run the big guns on my kurf. They reload a little slower but they hit a little harder too. I’m willing to make that trade off although some folks aren’t. 

I run my GK with full secondary build and use the smaller but faster loading gun for close in brawling.   Note also that I play coop only and close range brawling happens all the time so this configuration works well.

Members
454 posts
8,492 battles
13 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's 1.8.

AFAIK the only times WG changes Sigma for the same battleship that has a different set of guns to research into, is when the number of guns change, i.e. 12 gun Conqueror in 419mm to 8 gun Conqueror with 457mm.  Even Lion who starts with 406mm and can research into 419mm, still maintains the same Sigma throughout.  FDG with the same German 406mm / 420mm options keeps the same Sigma.

Check the "Fitting Tool" if you want.

so what are the sigma's on the conq guns?

[LOU1]
Members
3,018 posts
8,124 battles
3 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

so what are the sigma's on the conq guns?

According to the Fitting Tool:

419mm: 1.8

457mm: 2.0

https://wowsft.com/WarshipStats?nation=uk&shipType=Battleship&ship=Conqueror&moduleN=1111&commander=default&s0=PCY001_CrashCrew_B_UK_Germany&s1=PCY002_RegenCrew_UK_HT_BB

Members
16,048 posts
14,436 battles
3 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Yes, rifle count remains the same.  406 or 420 is really down to some nitpicking details whether you go for the 420s or not.

Members
16,048 posts
14,436 battles
57 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

What are the advantages of each gun?

Are the 420's a better choice?

The main thing is in AP.  406mm at the top, 420mm at the bottom.

WeiEeKN.jpg

Both guns will already Overmatch the 27mm bow certain High Tier CAs have.

420s have higher penetration, especially at range, as well as having a small damage improvement.

The 406 guns have faster reload, 29 vs 32 on the 420s.

The 420s also have a slightly higher HE fire chance, 38% vs 35% of the 406.

Both are about as accurate as the other.

On a side note, making this reply made me curious about German BB HE Pen.  I wondered if it really applied to their main battery and it does.  Both German 406 & 420 guns will HE Pen the heaviest armor plate, including the armored flight decks of Taiho, Hakuryu, Midway.  Did quick tests with GK in 406, 420 configurations and Montana against a bot Midway.  All hits were penetrations even by the smaller German 406mm.   Montana's 406mm would not pen Midway's 87mm armored flight deck and needed superstructure / island hits or elsewhere to get HE Pens.

Spoiler

Montana's results, numerous HE Non-Pens.

Vt1vEfh.jpg

German 420mm results, all Penetrations.

fjBaar4.jpg

German 406mm results, all Penetrations.

m2tNp4L.jpg

And to answer your question, which is better?  Depends on what you prefer.  Reload speed or higher AP pens.  Personally I prefer the 406s due to the reload speed.  But guys like the 420s also due to the higher AP pen, esp. at range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
854 posts
9,731 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The main thing is in AP.  406mm at the top, 420mm at the bottom.

WeiEeKN.jpg

Both guns will already Overmatch the 27mm bow certain High Tier CAs have.

420s have higher penetration, especially at range, as well as having a small damage improvement.

The 406 guns have faster reload, 29 vs 32 on the 420s.

The 420s also have a slightly higher HE fire chance, 38% vs 35% of the 406.

Both are about as accurate as the other.

On a side note, making this reply made me curious about German BB HE Pen.  I wondered if it really applied to their main battery and it does.  Both German 406 & 420 guns will HE Pen the heaviest armor plate, including the armored flight decks of Taiho, Hakuryu, Midway.  Did quick tests with GK in 406, 420 configurations and Montana against a bot Midway.  All hits were penetrations even by the smaller German 406mm.   Montana's 406mm would not pen Midway's 87mm armored flight deck and needed superstructure / island hits or elsewhere to get HE Pens.

Awesome, thank you for this test mister!

Sign in to follow this