You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kartaugh

Any plans to unscrew the texturepocalypse?

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
276 posts
3,238 battles

So, you screwed up every single skin by requiring that files be newly saved. I have 1740+ files in my skins folder that I'd have to resave in order to get them working again.

I'd appreciate if WG let us know if you intend to undo this mindblowingly awful decision...

• Boring 1

[-CIV-]
Members
229 posts
2,360 battles

Doesn't get at the heart of your post, but if you want to speed up the process, you can update the timestamp on each file in your skins folder to make them seem "newly saved". There's info on the command to do so here: https://superuser.com/questions/10426/windows-equivalent-of-the-linux-command-touch/764721#764721.

edit: I'm assuming you're on Windows.

edit2: So I tried this out myself and couldn't get it to work, so I did some more digging on that link and found that you can use Powershell instead. Figures.
If you open Powershell and go into the directory holding your textures, then run this:

ls * | ForEach-Object {$_.LastWriteTime = Get-Date}

it should update the timestamp. Maybe that'll get them working again? You'll probably want to test this on a disposable folder first...

We might want to move this thread into Support so that others facing this problem can voice their concerns/help find a workaround.

Edited by yungpanda

Beta Testers
276 posts
3,238 battles
On 9/29/2018 at 3:47 AM, yungpanda said:

edit2: So I tried this out myself and couldn't get it to work, so I did some more digging on that link and found that you can use Powershell instead. Figures.
If you open Powershell and go into the directory holding your textures, then run this:

ls * | ForEach-Object {$_.LastWriteTime = Get-Date}

it should update the timestamp. Maybe that'll get them working again? You'll probably want to test this on a disposable folder first...

We might want to move this thread into Support so that others facing this problem can voice their concerns/help find a workaround.

Is there a way to make that script run on all subfolders? Otherwise it's pretty much a slog of going through every single subfolder in every single nation. This would take hours upon hours.

Members
706 posts

dose it go by modified date (i.e. when the file was last changed) or dose it go by creation date (when the file was created)?

** remember to make backups! **

as if its the latter, just copy and paste the folder structure with all the files in to a temp folder, then delete the original folder structure and files, then copy and paste folder structure with all the files from the temp folder back to their original location, which will update the files with the creation date at the time you last copy & pasted them.

[-CIV-]
Members
229 posts
2,360 battles
11 hours ago, Kartaugh said:

Is there a way to make that script run on all subfolders? Otherwise it's pretty much a slog of going through every single subfolder in every single nation. This would take hours upon hours.

Ooh, good point. Maybe try this one out? You should be able to just run this one in the highest level folder, and it should trickle down to all items in all subfolders, regardless of depth. (At least that's how it worked out when I tried on my computer.)

Get-ChildItem -Recurse | ForEach-Object {$_.LastWriteTime = Get-Date}

From: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42440753/recursively-list-directories-in-powershell?rq=1

Edited by yungpanda

[-CIV-]
Members
229 posts
2,360 battles
10 hours ago, b101uk said:

copy and paste the folder structure with all the files in to a temp folder

When I tried this, neither the creation nor modified date changed for the subfiles deeper in the structure. It'd make things so much easier if it did though.

10 hours ago, b101uk said:

Words to live by!  :D

Beta Testers
276 posts
3,238 battles

Well, I managed to fix it by using XnView.

Basically, I ran a batch convert that kept all file names intact and just updated the last modified date. That is enough to do it. Also, by clearing the metadata I managed to shave off 5GB from the mods folder.

• Cool 1