Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

Too many BBs is the problem

26 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
8,588 posts
25,732 battles

image.thumb.png.b3fd17c8825674ccb317affbea7f9028.png

This was a refreshing change. Tough battle, a pleasure to be in. 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,115 posts
6,790 battles

Wow, that must have been a fun battle for your division with that sort of delightful matchmaking!

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,656 posts
4,928 battles

Well kind of like a battle with no DD's.  It changes things up when a major class of warship type is missing from the battle. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,250 posts
1,851 battles
15 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Wow, that must have been a fun battle for your division with that sort of delightful matchmaking!

I've been in a all CA/CL battle.  12 ships on each side, not a BB, DD or CV in the game.  I was in Furutaka.

It was not fun.  It was, frankly, boring.  The tactics needed to deal with the different types greatly increase the tactical choices of the player.  Having all ships be the same, cruisers in my case, made the choices very simple.

[RLGN]
Members
8,269 posts
17,289 battles

What a shame; destroyers and cruisers had to shoot at things they’re supposed to shoot at; instead of just farming battleship damage.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,411 battles

th?id=OIP.LTB1iyziKjUj1ngXM2Yh4gHaHa&pidGhostdog loves the smell of cordite in the morning from BBs blasting each other in a slug fest. No planes or DDs. Brute force.Pounding each other.

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,115 posts
6,790 battles

Also many folks here probably don't remember World of Derpitzing, but those were some fun times.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,150 posts
14,555 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

What a shame; destroyers and cruisers had to shoot at things they’re supposed to shoot at; instead of just farming battleship damage.

Not quite easy trying to run down a DD with a Cruiser when there are 3-4 Battleships shooting at you.  Even for Radar Cruisers, the presence of Battleships and lacking cover make going after DDs suicidal.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

Honestly never have had the problem of too many BBs in battles, now too many DDs sometimes or too many cruisers maybe, but never too many BBs.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
36 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Honestly never have had the problem of too many BBs in battles, now too many DDs sometimes or too many cruisers maybe, but never too many BBs.

Once in a rare while, you'll have an MM dump where there are more than 5 BB per team.  But as I said, this is rare.

1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Honestly, I think that it'd stink to be in a DD, because cruisers are usually harder to torp than BBs.

Members
3,797 posts
14,098 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I'm envious...

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
12,171 battles

We had a game with 8 DDs on the enemy team last night. The comedy didn't end there - they had a fail divved Argentinian duo and a graf Zeppelin on their team too. It was a meme battle for the ages. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,588 posts
25,732 battles
16 hours ago, NotoriousRNG said:

We had a game with 8 DDs on the enemy team last night. The comedy didn't end there - they had a fail divved Argentinian duo and a graf Zeppelin on their team too. It was a meme battle for the ages. 

I can just hear your descriptions in colorful Australian idiom. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
4 hours ago, Crucis said:

Once in a rare while, you'll have an MM dump where there are more than 5 BB per team.  But as I said, this is rare.

Honestly, I think that it'd stink to be in a DD, because cruisers are usually harder to torp than BBs.

Lol exactly why I don’t mind tons of BBs on battles, they are the easiest things for any of my ships to hit, I get a ton of damage points, and they still sink so I get kills as well.  Never figured out why people complain about too many BBs when it’s like  hello those can be your bread and butter for your scores...

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,180 posts
11,693 battles
6 hours ago, enderland07 said:

Also many folks here probably don't remember World of Derpitzing, but those were some fun times.

I had just unlocked my New Orleans.  Please do not give me the PTSD again.

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Not quite easy trying to run down a DD with a Cruiser when there are 3-4 Battleships shooting at you.  Even for Radar Cruisers, the presence of Battleships and lacking cover make going after DDs suicidal.

Not easy to run down "anyone" when you are being focused, regardless of your ship type or tier.

No one in the game is unique when it comes to this aspect, but people, and I know you've been around long enough to have seen this, seem to think that "their ship"/ship types/tier are always just a little tougher than the rest. Even though at this point in this games development cycle, a lot if not most players play two, three or even all four ship types.

If you're chasing ship "A" in a DD and you're focused (radar or not), you're dead. If you're chasing ship "A" in a CL/CA and you're focused, you're dead. If you're chasing ship "A" in a BB and you're focused, you're dead. 

It's the way it's supposed to be.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
9 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I would think it would be irritating trying to dig the island humpers spewing HE out of the rocks...

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,461 posts
3,211 battles

ive played in games with no BBs and games with no DDs and the games with no DDs were far better IMO. People played far more aggressive.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
797 posts
8,309 battles
3 hours ago, BBsquid said:

I would think it would be irritating trying to dig the island humpers spewing HE out of the rocks...

It wasnt. I was in the Jervis and had a very fun game. The red cruisers got the idea that no BBs meant they were "6ft tall and bulletproof", they were wrong.

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
12 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol exactly why I don’t mind tons of BBs on battles, they are the easiest things for any of my ships to hit, I get a ton of damage points, and they still sink so I get kills as well.  Never figured out why people complain about too many BBs when it’s like  hello those can be your bread and butter for your scores...

Same here.  I think that the people who complain about "too many BBs" are probably (and understandably) cruiser players.  DD players see BBs as meat on the table.

[RLGN]
Members
8,269 posts
17,289 battles
9 hours ago, BBsquid said:

Don't forget the island humpers spewing SAP... (the Brits...)

Modder
341 posts
14 battles

who needs a BB in such a match if you have a heavy cruiser and US one especially. if that Indianapolis player had a finger on the right type of ammo, he could have had a hell of a match

Edited by puxflacet

[SIDE]
Members
1,435 posts
20 hours ago, Crucis said:

Agree totally. I’d rather be 1 of 2 dd in a match loaded with B.B. than 1of 10 dd in a match without B.B. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
13 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Agree totally. I’d rather be 1 of 2 dd in a match loaded with B.B. than 1of 10 dd in a match without B.B. 

I'll agree that being one of two DDs in a BB heavy battle would be nice, particularly if you're in a good torping DD.  OTOH, I wouldn't mind being one of whole bunch of DDs in a super heavy DD battle, though I'd definitely prefer being in a DD with decent guns, etc. 

I've been the lone BB in a battle that was REALLY heavy on DDs back when the PA DDs were released.  Thankfully, I was in my Guilio Cesare in a tier 5 battle, and pretty much spammed HE the whole time.  I basically kept a fair number of friendly DDs between me and the enemy, and was able to contribute pretty well.  And while I was eventually sunk, I made them pay dearly to do it!!!

Sign in to follow this