Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Livnick

An idea to help Okinawa to be more enjoyable

16 comments in this topic

[C4]
Members
45 posts
11,385 battles

So, I decided to play a bit around the Wowstactik site and came with a simple idea to try to help how Okinawa layout could be more enjoyable for players. For me, Okinawa with the A-B-C layout put a large emphasis on open water combat, being a not so enjoyable experience for all. So I came with a idea that changes nothing but the spawn and cap position. Of course is not perfect and any positive feedback will be welcomed (and maybe who knows WG notices this thread and they might consider this or a different layout in the future). So there it goes:

image.thumb.png.bbc45723fe1309a63131e1cb13fd8dbc.png

Right from the start the team has to make a choice: Do they go for both smaller caps at where today is A? Or they attempt to get one and focus on controlling the larger cap so they flank the enemy team? The idea to have caps taken is to speed up the game, while they are on the enemy side to seem tempting for the DDs to capture them. As mentioned, is not perfect neither I'm putting as THE solution but rather a idea that might bring more ideas to make Okinawa more enjoyable.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Some alternative funny ideas I had were to:

- swap the caps in the suggested pic. Neutral cap is up where A cap is now, and the freebies are down in the SE corner of the map

-both teams spawn in the SE corner on their respective sides. That way they are right next to the neutral cap and their freebie cap is all the way up north

Just fun ideas. Have yet to have an Okinawa game where there is no 'stay away from A' spam

Edited by _1204_
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,242 posts
17,242 battles

Okinawa for me rates up there with Shatter and Islands of Ice; NO SUCH THING as a good game on any of those maps...

...I’d rather play on Ocean...

[MIA-A]
Members
2,099 posts
6,729 battles

Rotate the island in F6 and make it about 2x as long.  You could even make it long enough to extend into both the southern caps a decent amount.

Honestly, the OP's suggestion here seems more likely to make the problem worse than anything else. 

[NG-NL]
Members
5,015 posts
8,240 battles

Just make it smaller. This is probably the worst map to face a unicum CV on since so much open water, so TB can crossdrop from any angle.

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
48 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Have yet to have an Okinawa game where there is no 'stay away from A' spam

That's because without the spam, potatoes will gravitate towards the islands. And the islands prevent you from supporting your team actually fighting for the map.

Edit: Oh! Just had an idea. Take A, and enlarge it so it encompasses the islands surrounding it, and overlaps with B some. A cap may need to be shifted closer to the center. Similar to the ranked layout of the Sea of Fortune map. Perhaps also rotate/reorient the island between A and B. This way, any team that wants to go for A will also be fighting for B. The island cover in the north wouldn't be so detrimental to the teams success, and instead of the winning cap strategy always being B/C it can now sometimes be A/B, maybe.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,326 battles

I think both teams should face map border at start, see what happens.  

Other than that, a sandbar or two in C would be nice.

[INTEL]
Members
8,573 posts
25,660 battles

Okinawa is a simple map: go BC for the win. If you want to change that, the islands between A and B need moved.

The spawn positions are meaningless as long as the island positions remain unchanged. 

[-FH-]
Members
54 posts
707 battles

And I actually like this map a lot.  Just wish less players went A on it...usually the team that does ends with only base XP...and not a 1.5 modifier.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
265 posts
3,881 battles

Since people seem to gravitate towards current A cap anyhow, what about something along these lines?  Could adjust the spawns one way or another; either closer to A/B or closer to C depending on where you wanted the action to be.  If I were going to set the map up this way I think I'd get rid of the J row and 10 column and add one row and column to the top and left side so that the caps were centered up a little more.  Okinawa as it is kinda stinks, but I think Shatter is hands down the worst map in the game currently.  I didn't even know this site was out there...  Kind of interesting to fool around with the maps like this.

Okinawa map.jpg

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,573 posts
25,660 battles
17 hours ago, Gin_Blossoms said:

And I actually like this map a lot.  Just wish less players went A on it...usually the team that does ends with only base XP...and not a 1.5 modifier.

This game has been a three year lesson in "you can't fix stupid". 

IMHO the biggest obstacle to team play is the "Who appointed you admiral?"/"You are not the boss of me" syndrome. 

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles

That actually looks fun. Too bad all the BBs would go K-8 to camp until the end of the match.

5 hours ago, Livnick said:

So, I decided to play a bit around the Wowstactik site and came with a simple idea to try to help how Okinawa layout could be more enjoyable for players. For me, Okinawa with the A-B-C layout put a large emphasis on open water combat, being a not so enjoyable experience for all. So I came with a idea that changes nothing but the spawn and cap position. Of course is not perfect and any positive feedback will be welcomed (and maybe who knows WG notices this thread and they might consider this or a different layout in the future). So there it goes:

Right from the start the team has to make a choice: Do they go for both smaller caps at where today is A? Or they attempt to get one and focus on controlling the larger cap so they flank the enemy team? The idea to have caps taken is to speed up the game, while they are on the enemy side to seem tempting for the DDs to capture them. As mentioned, is not perfect neither I'm putting as THE solution but rather a idea that might bring more ideas to make Okinawa more enjoyable.

[SALVO]
Members
17,039 posts
17,659 battles
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, Taichunger said:

IMHO the biggest obstacle to team play is the "Who appointed you admiral?"/"You are not the boss of me" syndrome. 

A little late, but I don't entirely agree with your second  sentence.  Oh, I agree with it somewhat.  A lot depends on the tone of the person making suggestions.  If the person making suggestions is doing so in a very non-bossy manner, then responding with "you're not the boss of me" is uncalled for.  OTOH, once in a while, you get someone who thinks that they're in command and start ordering people around.  And then I don't mind at all if someone says "you're not the boss of me" or better, "who appointed you admiral?"  I've said this myself once or twice when there was some pain in the tush overly bossy team mate.

And I've also seen a team mate get very gentle suggestions that perhaps he's overextended and ought to fall back and rejoin the rest of the fleet (in an operation), and have this team mate start swearing at the rest of his team.  Once, I pinged a map location and gently said that I thought the enemy CV was around where I pinged.  I didn't even tell anyone to go there, or whatever.  But one player started in with the "you're not the boss of me" line, when I wasn't telling anyone what to do.  I was only giving out an opinion on the location of the enemy CV.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles
On 9/28/2018 at 7:33 PM, Livnick said:

I like your train of thought, but the red team here has a pretty clear advantage.  They have that island there and can cap in B4/B5 without being shot at.  On the other side, the green team has no cover, just open water.  Red can set up a radar cruiser or a Mo and control both of those caps with relative ease.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
On 9/28/2018 at 10:22 PM, Taichunger said:

I think that would be due that experience most have listening to a wannabe admiral bark orders and following then only to lose and have the wannabe admiral blame the team for what was his bad tactics which they followed.

By tier 7 everyone knows that guy is an idiot and they follow the nearest squadron that is working together.

Sign in to follow this