You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Acasta madness: being a wolf among sheep

16 comments in this topic

[-1]
Members
136 posts
2,832 battles
6 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

good game...not sure why you smoked up the first time...

too much focus--I wanted to disengage--and some of them actually stopped shooting

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
275 posts
3,719 battles

i got 6 kills in my acasta 3 torp kills an 3 gun kill steals i find it agile and speedy so kiting after ambush torping is survivable

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,061 posts
9,395 battles
14 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

too much focus--I wanted to disengage--and some of them actually stopped shooting

Just getting your thoughts...I thought you were in a good position at the time..but I wasn't there :)

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,808 battles
57 minutes ago, Ron4ja said:

i got 6 kills in my acasta 3 torp kills an 3 gun kill steals i find it agile and speedy so kiting after ambush torping is survivable

Nice I have almost 18K games and Acasta is my only ship I've gotten 8 kills in. I got a dbl strike on 2 super low DD's with guns. I find the Torp and Kite to be the preferred tactic. Launch torps around 6.1-6.2 and let the BBotatoes drive right into them Pop the short smoke pew pew set a fire and drive away laughing.

• Cool 1

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

Interesting that you not only got the move prediction right, but it was also a detonation, heh. Good show. 

[-1]
Members
136 posts
2,832 battles
1 hour ago, Yoshiblue said:

Interesting that you not only got the move prediction right, but it was also a detonation, heh. Good show. 

ah--that detonation was a surprise; that was quite wth moment

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

I tried the Acasta and was not impressed.  Likewise, the Jervis doesn't seem to offer much at Tier VII, either.  I like single fired torps and what not...but...that's about where my appreciation ends.  

[XBRTC]
Members
1,423 posts
7,451 battles

This is by far the more common type of game seen by Acasta, though....

unknown.png?width=1307&height=677

Seriously, though. A gunboat getting that kind of damage exchange with a Kamikaze? That's, Jesus, that's almost as bad as getting torpedoed by a Khabarovsk.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles

I'll see you and raise you: :Smile_glasses:

Acasta still works against battleships, too.  As long as you don't have to openly duel against three at once. :Smile_teethhappy:

[-1]
Members
136 posts
2,832 battles
On 9/30/2018 at 2:44 AM, Harv72b said:

I'll see you and raise you: :Smile_glasses:

Acasta still works against battleships, too.  As long as you don't have to openly duel against three at once. :Smile_teethhappy:

Pity that he panicked at the end, could be a nice carry.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
17 hours ago, dimzzy said:

Pity that he panicked at the end, could be a nice carry.

If by "he" you mean me, I wasn't panicked, I was just in a very bad scenario which didn't really have any good options.  The enemy CV still having planes while ours was long gone precluded any ability to remain in stealth for long, and our cap being rushed by two battleships meant that I had to act very soon anyway.  Then when my last teammate failed to finish off that Iron Duke that pretty much doomed me whichever way you slice it--he had to die so I could get dark even for a few moments.  The New York turning around rather than continuing to the east of that island just hastened my end. :Smile_sad:

EDIT: This was also only my second battle in the Acasta.  I greatly overestimated the stopping power of the torpedoes, which didn't help my cause at all.

Edited by Harv72b

[-1]
Members
136 posts
2,832 battles
On 10/2/2018 at 2:58 PM, Harv72b said:

If by "he" you mean me, I wasn't panicked, I was just in a very bad scenario which didn't really have any good options.  The enemy CV still having planes while ours was long gone precluded any ability to remain in stealth for long, and our cap being rushed by two battleships meant that I had to act very soon anyway.  Then when my last teammate failed to finish off that Iron Duke that pretty much doomed me whichever way you slice it--he had to die so I could get dark even for a few moments.  The New York turning around rather than continuing to the east of that island just hastened my end. :Smile_sad:

EDIT: This was also only my second battle in the Acasta.  I greatly overestimated the stopping power of the torpedoes, which didn't help my cause at all.

Ah, it was you indeed--I thought that was someone else. It's a great game for sure; I just was not certain why for example at 13:40 you engaged one ship then switched to another. It's also strange to see that you use smoke and then leave it right away. I think a better strategy is to use smoke, let BB get closer and then derp him. Risky but you eliminate ship and then use smoke to reload torps. It feels that you was kind of panicking and just shooting randomly at the end.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
4 hours ago, dimzzy said:

Ah, it was you indeed--I thought that was someone else. It's a great game for sure; I just was not certain why for example at 13:40 you engaged one ship then switched to another. It's also strange to see that you use smoke and then leave it right away. I think a better strategy is to use smoke, let BB get closer and then derp him. Risky but you eliminate ship and then use smoke to reload torps. It feels that you was kind of panicking and just shooting randomly at the end.

Gotcha.  FWIW, my thought process over the last few minutes of the battle (starting at 13:20):

• The torps I dropped in the direction of the New York were a bad decision.  With his (lack of) speed even if he'd charged straight in I believe they would've run out before they hit him, but the thought process at the time was to prevent him from charging right in more so than actually hitting him; I knew the Iron Duke was coming around that corner and I wanted to minimize the number of ships shooting at me at once.
  • Leaving the first smoke: when the Iron Duke turned in to avoid the torps/charge my smoke, he made that decision for me.  He was already ~3km away, so if I fire inside the smoke he's going to detect me momentarily anyway.  With my torp reload being over a minute away, that wasn't an option either.  But the combination if him making that hard turn, me dropping off detection even for a few seconds, and me then charging at full speed around his ship was going to make it all but impossible for him to get his main guns on me.  This is a tactic that works remarkably well if you find yourself that close to a lone battleship at those tiers--the secondaries won't do significant damage to you, and the big guns simply cannot catch up to you at that range.
  • The Texas showing up quicker than I expected him kind of put a damper on that plan.  When I saw my torpedoes were almost reloaded, I switched my focus to him in the hopes that my teammate in the Cesare could finish off the Iron Duke.  I turned out (rather than in) once I'd briefly broken contact with my next smoke because I wanted to keep that island between my ship and the New York, which I had expected to keep heading east & come down the 10 line as well.
  • The torps on the Texas were a case of me overestimating the strength of my torpedoes.  This was only the second battle I'd fought in Acasta, and I incorrectly assumed that one spread of torps would finish off a half-health battleship, even with only 3 of the 4 connecting.  So in leaving my smoke (again) I was trying to get eyes on that Iron Duke once more so I could finish him off before the New York got into position to start shooting at me.
  • When I saw that the Texas hadn't cooperated by sinking, that forced me to keep my attention split between the two ships.  I opted to use torpedoes on the Texas once again while trying to gun down the Iron Duke...really, I just wanted to set a fire on the Duke, at which point my plan was to try to go dark while he burned out.  Then I could reset and try to get into a better position to fight the New York and/or get after their CV.

Of course, all of that was moot when the New York outplayed me by reversing direction back toward the center.  In hindsight I should've parked in that second smoke at least long enough for my other set of torpedoes to reload, but again that was a case of me not knowing my ship well enough vs. me not having a plan.  In the end it probably wouldn't have mattered--the Iron Duke did more damage than I wanted with his last salvo, and even if he dies & I get dark I still have to deal with the next wave of planes & an enemy Wyoming that was somewhere out there the whole time. :Smile_hiding: