You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NotoriousRNG

RIP Arms Race Sep 2018 - Sep 2018

45 comments in this topic

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
12,124 battles

Hello folks,

I sat in queue maybe 7 times last night for a total of about 23 minutes and couldn't get a game. There were 4 people in the queue. 

What gives? Are people really that off it already because you can't grind unique modules or get achievements in it?

I can't handle random team mates and just wanted to shoot some boats and get decent credits...but I guess the mode is dead already. It was fun while it lasted. 

• Funny 2

[HINON]
Members
2,580 posts
18,808 battles

title of this thread made me giggle

[SF-3]
Members
1,521 posts
8,114 battles

I like derping around in this mode, however, the issues are as you stated, you can't grind some missions in it, the credits and exp rewards are not good. So while the mode is fun every once and a while its not worth spending a lot of time in when you are losing progress (essentially) in other areas.

[SVF]
Members
944 posts
1,286 battles

WG's doubling down on not including Arms Race into the legendary module missions effectively doomed the mode to failure imo.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
8 minutes ago, NotoriousRNG said:

Hello folks,

I sat in queue maybe 7 times last night for a total of about 23 minutes and couldn't get a game. There were 4 people in the queue. 

What gives? Are people really that off it already because you can't grind unique modules or get achievements in it?

I can't handle random team mates and just wanted to shoot some boats and get decent credits...but I guess the mode is dead already. It was fun while it lasted. 

Damned straight, NotoriousRNG.  It stinks to high heaven (and that's putting mildly enough to not get dinged by the mods) that Arms Race doesn't count towards many missions and achievements.  WG claims that it's because AR is a temporary test mode.  I don't care. (Again putting it far too mildly.)  You want to run a test mode on the live server?  I have no problem with that, in theory.  But you do that because you want as many participants as possible.  But when you don't allow the test mode to count towards ALL missions and achievements, you're just going to tick off the player base and they'll stay away from your test mode.

Side note:  I get that not all modes are appropriate for missions and achievements.  That said, Arms Race is just a variant of random battles and should be entirely appropriate for all missions and achievements.

[UEFN]
Members
387 posts
11,701 battles

gimmicky mode with zero achievements, it was fun for few rounds but get old quick due to lack of rewards, other than credits and xp i get absolutely NOTHING  when i sunk 6 ships!

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

They really need to enable at least the Legendary Upgrade grinds for this game mode.

• Cool 2

[HYDRO]
Members
1,564 posts
3,751 battles

The irony of the situation is that by not giving incentives to play Arms Race the "test" is bound to fail since less and less people will play.

There should be a few missions that rewarded playing Arms Race to compensate for the lack of Achievements/Campaign progress/ Legendary grinds.

Something like PTS rewards with specific tiers scaling the more you play this mode.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

I really hope Arms Race doesn't go away. I enjoyed it in the PTS and am looking forward to playing it more.

If it dies because Wargaming blew it on creating the proper incentives to get people to play it, I'm going to be bummed.

I'm about 70,000 XP away from the Fletcher so I should be in And Race soon.

I hope Wargaming can figure out how to keep queue times reasonable in Arms Race.

Edited by Jester_of_War
  • Cool 1

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles

Will WG's ill considered choice and subsequent hubris lead to the death of a new game mode and it's profit-adding potential, for which they must have invested meaningful resources  to create?

The choice is theirs. We'll see...

This issue strikes me as a relevant to NoZoupForYou's recent video commentary, Give Us What We Want, Not What You Think We Need.

Members
3,470 posts
6,170 battles

Since it is a test bed - even if 100 people play it - they got information and data and thoughts of people who played it.  It was going to go away at some point.  I sitll have not played it - I need a bit more free time to try it out but only been playing a couple games max each night.

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles

Why would I waste time in a mode I'm only rewarded halfway for?
Maybe worth it to grind out XP for T9's but none of the T9's are really any good in that game mode and you are guaranteed to be bottom tier.

Soooo, no.

Pressing F to pay respects.

Edited by Troa_Barton

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
17 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Since it is a test bed - even if 100 people play it - they got information and data and thoughts of people who played it.  It was going to go away at some point.  I sitll have not played it - I need a bit more free time to try it out but only been playing a couple games max each night.

But they'd get more, a lot more, information and data if they made it more enticing to play by allowing AR results to count towards all missions, at least, and maybe achievements.

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,326 battles

I’d have played more than one game in it if they did something like give out a new simple camo (hell just put some circles randomly and you have the new AR2018 camo).  But I have little gametime so while I enjoy battles, I’d rather not give up fun AND progress for just the fun.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles

I believe that not being able to work on the RN DD missions or Personal missions is what is driving people from testing the mode.

[DPG]
Members
895 posts
4,430 battles

Perhaps it's all that "You can't grind your legendary mods so it's pointless even doing it."  It's ok that some things are done for fun, and fun only.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,807 posts
10,315 battles
  1. Wait to see if mode is popular to add things to it
  2. Mode is unpopular because things aren't in it
  3. Mode dies, things never get added because it wasn't popular...
  4. I...

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,156 posts
10,144 battles

It was a cute mode, but unloved and not very useful. Bury it deep, if surgery isn't in the works. 

[POP]
Members
1,162 posts
15,052 battles
2 hours ago, NotoriousRNG said:

Hello folks,

Pi$$ing WOWS Gamers off WG style

Working as intended comrade

Hey @NotoriousRNG you still upset WG did not implement your idea about giving that Heavy Cruiser of yours Giulio Cesare  torpedos  :Smile_teethhappy:

cheers

• Funny 2

[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles

Like it's the game mode someone in the office that no one likes came up with, but was so persistent about including it that it was grudgingly put in anyway.

Edited by Kuckoo

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
56 posts
4,784 battles

It's fun, they just gimped out out of the gate by turning off achievements and not letting ppl grind legendaries.  I get that they didn't know how it would go and din't want people farming achievements, but you have to give some incentive to play when there are other things going on in game where people can work towards their goals.  Even Pub Test rewards you for things.

• Cool 1

Members
3,470 posts
6,170 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

But they'd get more, a lot more, information and data if they made it more enticing to play by allowing AR results to count towards all missions, at least, and maybe achievements.

I think they just wanted to see how the general population played it and if they understood how to play it.  Since it was going to go away anyway - why code for all of the goodies into it?  People who are getting 'pissed off' - just want to be pissed at something and many times - everything for no other reason than they want to be.

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
3 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

I think they just wanted to see how the general population played it and if they understood how to play it.  Since it was going to go away anyway - why code for all of the goodies into it?  People who are getting 'pissed off' - just want to be pissed at something and many times - everything for no other reason than they want to be.

Why code in all the goodies?  Because you can get MORE data and info!!!

[SBS]
Members
2,467 posts
2,253 battles

I haven't played it.  Sounds like it was a love or hate it kind of thing.  I would think allowing the grind of the modules would have been a given.  I can understand not wanting to give out the normal achievements.  Seems to me WG could have had fun this with by adding new achievements like the corky/funny ones Mouse and the other CCs came up with.