You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nergy

Fire complains

47 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
162 posts
9,896 battles

I don't see where the problem is.

Run a fire prevention build. Stay out of range of CAs and DDs. Use cover against BBs if needed, and last but not least stay behind the rest of your team. Follow those rules and you are perfectly fine.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Members
1,148 posts
3,141 battles
7 minutes ago, Nergy said:

Stay out of range of CAs and DDs. Use cover against BBs if needed, and last but not least stay behind the rest of your team. Follow those rules and you are perfectly fine.

20180924_113534.jpg.0554c1ca1471e814672f33656f84c179.jpg

[BRN_2]
[BRN_2]
Members
4,222 posts
10,477 battles

Absolutely right.  I love burning BB's.  If you want to stop me, shoot me.  That's how it works.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,565 posts
8,979 battles
21 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Absolutely right.  I love burning BB's.  If you want to stop me, shoot me.  That's how it works.

This actually describes what the problem with fire is. It is the weapon instead of the side effect of shell explosions causing fires. I never really considered fires to be much of an issue before the IFHE allowed HE to cause significant direct damage while still causing fires and the RN BB's and their fire meta.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
38 minutes ago, Nergy said:

Run a fire prevention build. Stay out of range of CAs and DDs. Use cover against BBs if needed, and last but not least stay behind the rest of your team. Follow those rules and you are perfectly fine.

Except that basically culminates in everyone not moving, forcing the static playstyle I see equal number of conplaints about.

Stay out of range, behind the team and in cover....yeah, its just like most pvp games like this, the best way to play is camp in the back....

• Cool 1

[BRN_2]
[BRN_2]
Members
4,222 posts
10,477 battles
21 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This actually describes what the problem with fire is. It is the weapon instead of the side effect of shell explosions causing fires. I never really considered fires to be much of an issue before the IFHE allowed HE to cause significant direct damage while still causing fires and the RN BB's and their fire meta.

Well, with 152mm guns on some of the higher-tier CL's, that's about the best you're gonna get with a heavily armored BB.  If you're unfortunate enough to get within 8-10 km in a Hindy or Moskva or Des Moines, you MIGHT get through a broadside BB for some citadels, but you won't do it with HE.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,565 posts
8,979 battles
4 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Well, with 152mm guns on some of the higher-tier CL's, that's about the best you're gonna get with a heavily armored BB.  If you're unfortunate enough to get within 8-10 km in a Hindy or Moskva or Des Moines, you MIGHT get through a broadside BB for some citadels, but you won't do it with HE.

Before IFHE the 6" armed cruisers really didn't have another choice but with it they will do real damage while still starting fires with ease. Take a BB and say a Cleveland with IFHE into the training room and have the Cleveland pour HE on the BB. You will see constant real damage and the BB will be burning like a funeral pyre. IFHE needs to be more of an either or option.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,090 posts
12,646 battles
1 hour ago, Nergy said:

last but not least stay behind the rest of your team

Smells like bait.

[IRISH]
Members
361 posts
7,192 battles
1 hour ago, Nergy said:

U just defined the very nature of POTATOE in this game...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
1 hour ago, Nergy said:

and last but not least stay behind the rest of your team.

Which is funny, the BBs that hang back are the ones that I light up while repositioning. They can just be hit from more angles than the closer ones.....

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
29 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

U just defined the very nature of POTATOE in this game...

And you just defined every reason the American scholastic system is failing ... there is no "E" in potato.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles

If you get burned down in a BB you messed up and someone punished you for it.

• Bad 1

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
54 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

If you get burned down in a BB you messed up and someone punished you for it.

Heh, another reason why I don't "tank" with BBs.

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles
30 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Heh, another reason why I don't "tank" with BBs.

Can't say I blame you, "tanking" as defined by most of the players means lead the charge and die. Actually tanking in a BB is getting shot at, not focused and able to disengage whenever you want. You should use all of your heals throughout a match unless it's a stomp that means being able to wait for cooldowns. Playing a BB properly is not as easy as everyone thinks it is. You have to have proper positioning, armor angling, target selection, cooldown management, shot accuracy, and proper ammo selection. Knowing how to apply pressure without over extending, creating cross fires, and knowing when, where, and how to dodge torps while remaining in a good position. Its easy to screw up and when you do you get torped, burned down, sniped by a CV, or chunked by another BB. Its a fine balance of knowing when to retreat, stay put, or push up, being aggressive in a BB can wildly change the favor of a battle for better or worse.

The opposite of this is just hanging out at the back of the map sniping. While there are reasons to do this, this is the easiest way not to "screw up" but it makes it harder on your team if a BB isn't applying some pressure to keep the enemy cruisers back. Battleships are area denial platforms that the team can work around, denying the enemy your spawn point isn't helping anyone.

People that complain about torps, CVs, or fires fail to realize these nuances about battleships. They aren't do it all, carry the team on your back wonderships they are specialized platforms with a specific role that has hard counters. Its so easy to point the finger at someone else when most of the time it is operator error.

• Cool 1

Members
454 posts
8,492 battles
13 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

Except that basically culminates in everyone not moving, forcing the static playstyle I see equal number of conplaints about.

Stay out of range, behind the team and in cover....yeah, its just like most pvp games like this, the best way to play is camp in the back....

Great gameplay Wging has been pushin aint it?

Members
706 posts
12 hours ago, Umikami said:

And you just defined every reason the American scholastic system is failing ... there is no "E" in potato.

there is however an "S" on the end of "potatoes" :Smile_hiding:

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,593 battles

I have fireprevention on all my BB captains. If I see a cruiser, I have to run cos I know he'll out DPM me just with fire damage. We are talking 3000-4000 reliable superstructure HE damage vs BB careful aiming once every 30 seconds and if you miss that's 0.
Something's not right there. 

Edited by LancasterOne
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,722 posts
8,237 battles
2 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

I have fireprevention on all my BB captains. If I see a cruiser, I have to run cos I know he'll out DPM me just with fire damage. We are talking 3000-4000 reliable superstructure HE damage vs BB careful aiming once every 30 seconds and if you miss that's 0.
Something's not right there. 

And if you hit right it's 100% --> 0%

No everything is alright 

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
679 posts
5,149 battles
16 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Before IFHE the 6" armed cruisers really didn't have another choice but with it they will do real damage while still starting fires with ease. Take a BB and say a Cleveland with IFHE into the training room and have the Cleveland pour HE on the BB. You will see constant real damage and the BB will be burning like a funeral pyre. IFHE needs to be more of an either or option.

Sorry but this just isn't true.  Running IFHE you get a reduced chance at setting fires.  I light so many less fires with IFHE that it is either/or, not both at the same time.  I go 200 hit games with 3 -7 fires set, and often the enemy ship just puts them right out because they know the chance of a second one is slim.  Cruisers have such a low chance of survivability once a BB starts shooting you, I think there should be no reduction in fire chance; even at that it still would never make a T10 BB worry about going head to head with a CA or CL, especially one of lower tier.

Edited by AXELGREASE

[TDRB]
Members
1,070 posts
4,100 battles
18 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Would reducing the fire starting ability by another 2 or 3 percent &/or  decreasing the armor penetration say to 25%  work better that making it an either or option?

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
15 hours ago, Troa_Barton said:

People that complain about torps, CVs, or fires fail to realize these nuances about battleships. They aren't do it all, carry the team on your back wonderships they are specialized platforms with a specific role that has hard counters. Its so easy to point the finger at someone else when most of the time it is operator error.

Which is ironic, because a lot of people here that complain about "baBBies" fail to realise those nuances also lol.

• Cool 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,553 posts
3,539 battles
33 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Would reducing the fire starting ability by another 2 or 3 percent &/or  decreasing the armor penetration say to 25%  work better that making it an either or option?

They tried that originally but the cruiser mafia whined so hard that WG collapsed and gave the crysers gave them the best of both worlds, increased penetration with barely a change to fire chance

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
6 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Great gameplay Wging has been pushin aint it?

Yeah and agood portion of the players support it.

Id rather little ap shells be buffed, able to cause dmg to the 25-50mm plates on ships , causing over pen dmg where HE causes mostly AA and secondary position dmg, which in turn opens up ships to torp runs , bomb runs and the like.

Id love to see the 1 shot deletions toned way down, changing shell dmg to: 10%, 33% and cit hits dealing 66%-75% dmg, with only the rarer detonations dealing the big max dmg hits, this applying straight across the board.  Then, cit hits also triggering a fire in the engine room, which burns for 30s, causing unrepairable dmg, as well as a 25% reduction in speed for the duration.

Additionally, the inclusion of DCP/RP for all classes and nation ships.

Finally an overhaul to DCP/RP which gives reductions in fire/flood dmg based on our captain skill lvls.

Yes, its alot but would make stuff not die as instantly, and could allow for the toning down of the out of control fire spam.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1