You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bianchi4Me

WG has people crazy for Acasta? Impressive.

37 comments in this topic

Members
108 posts
2,003 battles

Whelp, you have to congratulate WG.  They managed to actually get me excited and feeling lucky because I got the chance to earn Acasta. Not only that, I'm feeling pretty special because I started the RN event this week and un-crated the mission for it on day one.

Apparently many folks were not so "lucky" as they have opened many more crates with no DD mission yet... as evinced by a rather salty response I got from sharing the good news of my day 1 luck. Understandable...

Now, the amusing thing is that Acasta is really pretty awful and definitely a boat most people would actively avoid in normal game play.

Yet WG has us hoping to just have a chance... to then work a special mission... to then earn the opportunity to play... what seems to be the worst boat at her tier.

(Not to mention getting a tad verbally abusive if we don't get it.)

That's some next-level Pavlovian manipulation by WG.  Genuine respect for our puppet master overlords.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
2,309 posts

Eh, I got the crate and unlocked it last night, it feels like a mid-tier DD. 

Haul "butt", evade like mad, spam lobbish guns, torpedo of opportunity, some smoke may be involved, vision mechanics may be abused at some point.  Nothing special, nothing horrible. 

Nothing about it screams "keep me" for after it's a tech-tree ship, and I just got the Icarus mission on the crate I opened at the end of last night's session.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,239 posts
9,096 battles

Acasta isn't awful if you know how to hit targets without the ability to stealth torp.  It's just an average T5 DD without any super-redeeming qualities. 

There are better choices at the same tier, for sure.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,242 posts
4,207 battles
7 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Acasta isn't awful if you know how to hit targets without the ability to stealth torp. 

An ability which is denied to ALL American tech-tree destroyers right up to and including Tier 6 (Farragut's visibility and torpedo range curves pretty much touch when you have Concealment Expert and Camo on, but there's very little in it and someone who's ground straight up the line with no stops might not have that 10th point quite yet).

Of course the Acasta doesn't have the Farragut's gun armament, nor her speed boost, and that's where it gets tricky. Then you have to use a combination of her octopus-ink-squirt smoke (because it's there for disengaging and not much else), her tendency not to bleed off what speed she has in turns, and whatever terrain is available... and thank all the sea gods there are that you don't see that much radar at T5 (Atlanta, Indy, Belfast).

This whole line is going to make better DD drivers out of the people who grind it and with whom it clicks.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
18,185 posts
5,192 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Acasta isn't awful if you know how to hit targets without the ability to stealth torp.  It's just an average T5 DD without any super-redeeming qualities. 

There are better choices at the same tier, for sure.

How would you rate it against Nicholas?

[DOG]
Members
431 posts
5,748 battles

It seems okay to me, and I'm not partial to gunboat DDs.  And I haven't even got concealment expert on my captain yet.  The ability to spam smoke helps make up for it somewhat.

[-K-]
Members
5,239 posts
9,096 battles
15 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'd say Nicholas is definitely more effective and versatile.  The only advantage Acasta holds would be a slight agility and stealth advantage, and the ability to fire single launch torps.  Neither ship can stealth torp fire, while Nicholas has the ability to mount defensive AA against CVs and outduel Acasta in a gun fight.

I'd pick Nicholas in almost every situation over Acasta.

[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,690 battles
21 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Nicholas is better. Period. End of story.

Icarus and Jervis are not bad DDs. Just not the best in Tier. Acasta plain sucks.

Members
18,185 posts
5,192 battles
30 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I'd say Nicholas is definitely more effective and versatile.  The only advantage Acasta holds would be a slight agility and stealth advantage, and the ability to fire single launch torps.  Neither ship can stealth torp fire, while Nicholas has the ability to mount defensive AA against CVs and outduel Acasta in a gun fight.

I'd pick Nicholas in almost every situation over Acasta.

26 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Nicholas is better. Period. End of story.

Icarus and Jervis are not bad DDs. Just not the best in Tier. Acasta plain sucks.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to get Acasta in the next match or two, so I'll probably sell it and Nicholas will remain my T5 "fun" DD. I got the Icarus mission yesterday anyway.

Members
108 posts
2,003 battles
26 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Acasta plain sucks.

That's actually the ship's motto when translated from the latin... you can spot it just below her emblem. (Two crossed dust-busters in front of a black hole.)

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,374 battles

i already have a vision control DD with  suicidal torps and super guns.it might not be agile but she have speed boost and decent smoke.

my guiding moonlight,okhotnik.

Edited by Cruxdei

[USCG]
Members
201 posts
12,930 battles

I've received every Royal Navy crate possible to date. None of them had a mission inside... I must be clicking the open button wrong...

[SBS]
Members
2,457 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, cgbosn4 said:

I've received every Royal Navy crate possible to date. None of them had a mission inside... I must be clicking the open button wrong...

Most people that got these ships are from the containers they bought.  I'm sure there are some out there that have gotten them in the free containers, just not that many.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,547 posts
3,751 battles

These early unlock containers and missions must be pure profit for WG.

In contrast to the premium ships that have design costs and have to recoup it through sales, the early unlocks give you content that will be made freely available next patch and has already been modeled to that end.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,570 posts
8,995 battles

I got the Acasta last week but I am still locked out of the tier 7/8 RN BB missions which should be bonus missions that only appear once the player has an RN DD in those tiers.

[LOU1]
Members
3,018 posts
8,124 battles

I like the new RN DDs so far.  I can get in close to a ship, pop smoke, fire a few salvos and/or torps while turning around in the smoke. Then reposition and repeat.  It is actually kind of fun, but a completely different style of play.  Very active hit and run play.  I can spot/shadow a target for allies for a bit, pull up in smoke and take a few shots, then pull out and go back to shadowing.  Or, pull up right before spotting range of an enemy DD, smoke, pop hydro, and dump a few salvos into them.  They can’t safely charge your smoke because they will get shot up and maybe eat some torps.

I find I can often actively patrol a cap or area because my smoke is back up so quickly, and can squirt ink and bail if surprised.  I also don’t have to bail very far due to the smoke cool down.  I have the Jervis on my other account and it is pretty dangerous with the guns it has, I have even done some mini-Cleveland island firing with it.  Acasta is weaker in the main gun department, but Icarus works pretty well.  Really hope I can get the TVIII without having to pay for it.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
549 posts
3,605 battles

I hate playing stealthy, sneaky babybotes.  I love a quick, agile knife fighter.  I actually have had some pretty good games in the Acasta so far.  Of course that was after many absolutely TERRIBLE games in her.  Once I figured her out, she became quite serviceable.

I probably won't keep her.  I didn't keep my Nicholas and she is a much better performer for me.

I am having great fun in the Icarus and the Farragut now though.  I'm glad I was able to get the Farragut a couple of days ago.  I felt kind of bad taking the Gallant and the Aigle into Dynamo.  Now at least I can help shoot down some of the planes.  Thank you to all you guys who bring their Sims' and Mahans to the fight.  I appreciate being able to ride your coattails. :Smile_great: 

CS

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
500 posts
1,028 battles
55 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Most people that got these ships are from the containers they bought.  I'm sure there are some out there that have gotten them in the free containers, just not that many.

RNG on the premium crates don't seem to be any better than the regular crates, though...with the 12 regular crates I got in last week's missions, I got 3 of the 4 ship missions, just missing the T8 one at this point.  As more time passes, hopefully the RNG settles down into what it should look like and more people will have a statistically representative amount of missions instead of this all-or-none situation going on right now.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
549 posts
3,605 battles
3 hours ago, Bonfor said:

RNG on the premium crates don't seem to be any better than the regular crates, though...with the 12 regular crates I got in last week's missions, I got 3 of the 4 ship missions, just missing the T8 one at this point.  As more time passes, hopefully the RNG settles down into what it should look like and more people will have a statistically representative amount of missions instead of this all-or-none situation going on right now.

Your post reminded me of the French BB bonus missions.  I purchased 10 crates then and got the Tier 5 Whatchamacallit and the Tier 6 Nornandie.  One in the first five and one in the second five.

This time I purchased 10 crates and got the Acasta and the Icarus.  Also, one in the first five and one in the second five.

I have never gotten a bonus mission from a regular crate, but it can be done.  I met a guy this morning in a match and he got his Acasta from a regular crate.  That's the very first time I have heard of it.

instead of buying more crates, I'm farming Dynamo with my Icarus so I can get Jervis as soon as she drops.  I don't expect to get either Jervis or Lightning missions from the regular crates that are being given as mission rewards.

CS

ps - I miss the Santa crates.  I hope they make an encore appearance this year.

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
1,396 posts
7,411 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

i already have a vision control DD with  suicidal torps and super guns.it might not be agile but she have speed boost and decent smoke.

my guiding moonlight,okhotnik.

Longbote is looooooooooong.

[WARHK]
[WARHK]
Members
42 posts
2,608 battles

This whole Royal Pain in the Navy [edited] event is pretty laughable, but so is the Brit DD line compared to IJN  IMO. Acasta...meh.  Glad I "won" it finally.  Thought it was a premium boat for some reason...lol.

But more importantly, where is the Supply Lines event oil???

• Cool 1