You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: How I approach the RN arc.

10 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles

I was all set to do the RN arc with RN ships and run my 19 pointer through all the premiums. Then I had a wave of common sense. I will discuss this by looking at the missions from last night and how I went about them. I understand that not everyone will have the ships I possess at their fingertips, and it's up to you to work out which of your ships are best for the job. Remember that ACCOMPLISHMENT BOOSTS MORALE, and ultimately you are here to get that juicy Guinea and worry about the rest later. Bonus to WG for making this the most co-op friendly win-a-ship mission (yeah, I know, there's a small cash price) I have ever taken part in.

1) "Fire at my target!" Get 50,000 spotting damage. There is no other way to do this than to get out on the front line and be the first to see and shoot things. And probably die. I was anticipating some heavy DD play at the end of the night, but to my surprise this one just happened on its own, possibly because I like to take risks I really shouldn't. I suspect it might in part have been my choice of ship for....

2) Crowned with Laurels. Get 250 ribbons. Aha, I thought. That's 250 shell hits, and the best ship for that in my port is the Atlanta. It took me two games, the first of which saw me uptiered to Tier IX and hanging around B cap, trying to find a safe place from which I could hit things. At one point I radared the cap and revealed things, and I suspect a decent chunk of my spotting damage came from that. The second game also resulted in my eventual annihilation, but this time it was a ROFLstomp in the OTHER direction and I picked up the rest of the hits. Task done.

3) And Stay Down. Sink three ships. Now this one I would normally just drop down to co-op to do, but Task 4 (see below) precluded that being a productive way to spend relatively limited gaming time. But that's where it ended over the course of the night, and if I had unlimited time on my hands it's what I'd do to get this one done. YOLO, kill, and be prepared to die. If you take just one down with you, you'll do a lot better than most of my teams did in the battles that I lost last night.

4) Commander's Duty 1. Get 22,500 Commander XP. The obvious thing to do here is load all the commander XP-boosting flags you can onto all your ships, and that's what I did until this task was done. In addition, however, I had spent much of the anniversary event (and the first few days after it) scrounging together all the coal I could to get the Second Anniversary Collection crates in the Arsenal (the value of which cannot be overstated). Why? Because I have the New Orleans, and one of the subcollection prizes is the Congratulatory Camo for that ship... which boosts Captain (and Free) XP. So once I'd taken care of the 250 hits mission in the Atlanta (with Captain XP flags on), it was a quick switch over to the NO, stick the camo on, load up the appropriate flags and go until the task was done. Along the way, I also loaded up the credit-boosting flags I had the most of, because of...

5) Ship's Coffer 1. Earn 1.5 million credits. Now this one is still unfinished. BUT because all the other four are complete, I got the guinea and could call it a night. This mission will autocomplete as I play through tonight's tasks, and tomorrow's, and all my play through to Tuesday evening. It's icing on the cake, as is...

6) British Destroyers: Wait for my order! Get 20K spotting damage in British destroyers of Tier 5 or greater. I let this one go last night because in my estimation and with the ships at my disposal, British destroyers were not optimal for the task. But if I had chosen to complete Mission 1 with the Gallant, this one would have completed also.  Tonight's missions include getting 3000 base XP on British DDs, and I will probably go for that one because it isn't difficult in Randoms and will almost certainly autocomplete this mission along the way. Again, it's icing on the cake, but if Task #1 had proven difficult I might have grabbed my Gallant (or my Acasta or Icarus if I didn't have the Gallant) and go out until it was finished.

I'm not going to cover the British Destroyer mission that requires T7 to T8 destroyers because I don't have one of those ships and it's irrelevant to me. But these missions are usually a variant of one of the above, with greatly reduced requirements. They are a shortcut for the lucky (who pulled a Jervis or Lightning mission) or those who just went out and got the Cossack anyway and will be cashing in their Guineas for Doubloons.

So there you have it.

1) Look at what the missions require, look at the resources you have (ships, flags, camo), and try to match the two as best you can. Remember the ultimate goal is to get the Guineas to get the Cossack (or cash in for the Doubloon value if you bought her).

2) Remember that not having a British destroyer is not the end of the world.

3) Remember that some tasks are most easily accomplished in co-op. Don't be an elitist; go there and get it done.

4) Remember that all the tasks complete simultaneously, so if you can complete one or more of the generic missions with a British DD you will probably finish one or both of the UK DD missions as well (depending on which one you have).

4) Accomplishing missions boosts morale, so concentrate on the easiest one(s) and knock it/them over ASAP.

5) Once you have the Guinea, the rest is a bonus; leave aside the tasks that will autocomplete if your time is limited, and move on to the next night.

Best of luck to all for the rest of the arc.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,597 posts
9,000 battles

I accomplished all of them yesterday, the ones that bug me are the one match credit missions like there was in Wednesday's. I have done 250k credits many times but the surest way to not get it is to have it hanging over your head to perform. The other thing that bugs me is missions that require winning the lottery, tier 7 or 8 requirement, and getting a mission for those DD's or forking over in excess of $40.

1) I got 50k spotting damage in a single battle in my Lion last night so if I can get 50k spotting damage in a bloody BB you can get it over four or five or even one matches with a DD. By the way I already had the 50k and the 20k done at that point and did it in four matches with my Acasta and Gallant and IJN DD's in co-op.

2) I took my Minotaur our for that one and didn't even get 100 before I died so I exited and grabbed my Saint Louis and got the 150 plus with ease in a heavy cruiser, go figure.

3) Instead of YOLO play to win and the kills will come, it might be one match it might be four but they will come and by playing to win that helps number 4.

4) With flags this can be accomplished in one match but three to five is more realistic.

5) See number one, I focused on this one while doing number one. Two birds with one stone.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Instead of YOLO play to win and the kills will come,

There is that, and that was how it worked out in the end for me, but sometimes I want to warm up to start and to be sure I'm not being plagued by ping times in the 3000ms region (has happened sometimes, e.g. if Windows is quietly updating in the background). YOLO can be successful if you play your cards right, have friends around to distract the bots, etc. and I finished Wednesday off with a three-kill Co-op YOLO orgy in the Emerald of all things, plus two more careful kills to round out the match with five out of eight. 

If winning or survival were a condition (e.g. "three kills over any number of battles that you win and survive"), you can bet I would be advocating good and cautious play. I've had a run of games lately where I've contributed a fair chunk of the damage in quite a few cases but the enemy ship exploded a split second before my finishing shot (whether guns or torpedoes) could arrive, so maybe that coloured my strategy for this sort of task.

I'm ignoring the tasks I might not be able to do easily (if I can) and the ones I am ineligible for (because I can't). For me, this is about getting the Cossack and any other rewards at the lowest possible cost, so I'm not going to play free-ship-unlock roulette with premium crates from the store. I'm willing to grab a couple if I get to the end of this patch and don't quite have enough to rebuy the Warspite for doubloons.

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I have done 250k credits many times but the surest way to not get it is to have it hanging over your head to perform.

Been there, done (i.e. suffered) that. This is why I elected to simply not bother; it eliminated a whole lot of performance pressure immediately. If I get to the end of all four of this week's directives with time to spare, I might slap all the credit flags I can on the Gallant and go chase the money (I need it anyway), and if I get it, I get it. If not, I've still brought in a whole pack of silver.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
16 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I have done 250k credits many times but the surest way to not get it is to have it hanging over your head to perform.

And after all that, I stacked Econ flags onto the Gallant last night and did it TWICE in two consecutive LOSSES. Go figure. :Smile_coin:

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
185 posts
4,490 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And after all that, I stacked Econ flags onto the Gallant last night and did it TWICE in two consecutive LOSSES. Go figure. :Smile_coin:

I was able to do that one in co-op with Gallant, rigged with Wyvern, Basilisk, Scylla, and Zulu flags in a match where I got a cap assist, 3 kills, and ~85k damage.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,597 posts
9,000 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am not very good with DD's in random, I am working on that, so it would pretty much be a waste of good flags.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have a Gallant. It's pretty crap. The Lightning, however, is amazing. I highly recommend it. I don't even have a high point captain for it yet but the agility + hydro means you can do crazy crapand come out alive (sometimes).

Edited by w4spl3g

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
3 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

I have a Gallant. It's pretty crap. The Lightning, however, is amazing. I highly recommend it. I don't even have a high point captain for it yet but the agility + hydro means you can do crazy crapand come out alive.

When I bought the Gallant, it was still the best British destroyer in the game. :Smile_hiding: Though given what was being said about the tech tree British DDs in the first round of testing, there was every possibility of her staying that way.

Giving them the narrow-spread torps and RN CL acceleration (and hydro, though I haven't taken my Icarus out much and don't have a handle on that yet) has made completely different ships out of them. With the exception of her speed boost and the slightly longer range on her torps, Gallant isn't actually that much better than Acasta; the only difference is her utility as a seal clu... er, captain trainer.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,102 posts
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

When I bought the Gallant, it was still the best British destroyer in the game. :Smile_hiding: Though given what was being said about the tech tree British DDs in the first round of testing, there was every possibility of her staying that way.

Giving them the narrow-spread torps and RN CL acceleration (and hydro, though I haven't taken my Icarus out much and don't have a handle on that yet) has made completely different ships out of them. With the exception of her speed boost and the slightly longer range on her torps, Gallant isn't actually that much better than Acasta; the only difference is her utility as a seal clu... er, captain trainer.

I earned my Gallant in the Dunkirk event, and initially found it to be quite underwhelming. Now having seen its tech tree cousins, yes it is a premium by comparison.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
15 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

I earned my Gallant in the Dunkirk event, and initially found it to be quite underwhelming. Now having seen its tech tree cousins, yes it is a premium by comparison.

It was an eye opener to me in that all my previous T6 destroyer experience had been with the Farragut, which pretty much cannot stealth torp, even with a 10 point CE captain. The Gallant with a 10 point CE captain has a 2km window; the difference is night and day.