You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Mouse Previews HMS Vanguard

13 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,658 battles

Disclaimer:  The following is a preview of HMS Vanguard, a ship provided to me by Wargaming.  She is still undergoing testing and anything can change before release.

Spoiler

QRDXnbp.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Funny 8
  • Bad 2

[POP]
Members
858 posts
9,828 battles

Looks promising!

Joins a few other botes..
1280px-German_battlecruisers_steaming_to

Edited by Gerbertz

[HYDRO]
Members
1,587 posts
3,753 battles

Only pre 0.6.2.2 kids will remember this? :etc_hide_turtle:

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
715 posts
1,786 battles

I know its WiP... but this ship looks awful right now... and not even because of the citadel... (which is in itself awful) but because of its guns...

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,169 posts
14,583 battles
41 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Only pre 0.6.2.2 kids will remember this? :etc_hide_turtle:

For a number of us in those days, the true reason to play high tier was to get 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Citadel Strikes on Iowa, Missouri, Montana.  Yamatos in particular were in heaven.  Dangerous times with a citadel like that.

b0dkiTl.jpg

For those morbidly curious, here's Vanguard's DevBlog entry by WG.  Not sure if anything has changed since this.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester
5,136 posts
2,438 battles

Truth be told, I hope that they don't change the Vanguard's citadel. We need more BBs in the game that aren't indestructible HE-spamming death machines.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,544 posts
4,420 battles

I will be rather upset if WG screws up this battleship, which was symbolic of many things and deserves better.

I have mixed feelings about the citadel. On one hand I think all BBs should be punishable with citadels, and personally I know not to show a flat broadside. OTOH it's not consistent with the design philosophy of the RN BB line.

If WG sticks with the massive citadel, then Vanguard should get Hood style turret traverse, good firing angles, and increased accuracy. Make Vanguard a ship that rewards skilful angling and maneauvring.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
15,017 battles

Yeah. that reminds me of pre 0.6.2.2.  USN BB's were vulnerable to being citadeled by Yamatos.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,815 posts
10,360 battles
  • Worst T8 firepower thanks to worst traverse, awful firing angles and lowest performance 15in AP along with joint lowest ROF. Accuracy only middling in compensation.

• Joint worst HE resistance with 32mm all over and a huge superstructure, Richelieu can speed-boost, Monarch has similar problems with lower HP but is a bit smaller

• Worst citadel protection with poor armor scheme, highest citadel with the possible exception of Roma, no turtleback per Amagi/French/Germans, no submergence like Monarch.

• Middling 30kt speed

• Erm, ok AA except the outer aura is trash and all the rest is soft 'spam me' bofors

• Very good stealth

This is just stupid. Some ships I look at the stats and think 'hmm, maybe not quite there, maybe worth a try' or 'looks solid, maybe tweaks'. Some I think 'trying this as-is is a waste of a round of testing, why not just make it sensible to start with?'.

Alaska is a great example of a ship which looked 'hmm, ok pretty sensible'. The RN DD were very silly in iteration version one at mid-tiers in particular. Vanguard looks like a waste of a test round.

This isn't a ship for the highly skilled, this isn't balanced, a high citadel is one thing, this is another. Roma has a high citadel but also has 375mm of belt armor instead of 343-356mm on top of massive HE resistance which Vanguard utterly lacks. The others all have low, submerged, or turtlebacked citadels, a huge advantage.

I don't understand how the same dev team that got Alaska 90% right first try could be so naive.

• Cool 2