Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

How to choose captain skills for Giulio Cesare?

8 comments in this topic

[1-]
Members
578 posts
3,359 battles

I'm thinking about the optimal build for Giulio Cesare. Traditionally this battleship's captain skills are selected as the following:

1.thumb.png.fa44734dc8b3fcf3451b2b4f81bca02c.png

I experimented with handful of builds and found a number of things from experience.

• Secondaries do only ~1% of total damage even though I'm a meleephile, so no secondary build :(
  • Fire Prevention (FP) reduces 10 fires out of 100 potential fires, which doesn't help much at this tier
  • Repair Party II's cooldown is too long (76 seconds), and I rarely even use the 4th repair, so I'm thinking about de-selecting Superintendent (SI)
  • At Tier 5, teamplay is weak and I can't rely on DDs, CLs, etc for spotting torps, so maybe Vigilance?
  • The battleship performs exceptionally well at endgame brawling, so Adrenaline Rush (AR) can actually be beneficial
  • Too much sky cancer at Tier 5

Therefore I'm thinking about the following alternative build:

2.thumb.png.9a20b2e59dcbb733868f4b1d4945cd43.png

This gives a competent AA defence rating of 48 and has the goodies like AR, Vigilance, and CE. Any thoughts on how this might perform comparing to the traditional build? Thanks in advance for your inputs which I'm sure I will enjoy to hear! :fish_cute_2:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,497 battles

The Secondaries & AA suite on Caesar are terrible and IMO, not worth sacrificing points for.  They are turds, and putting whipped cream and candy sprinkles on top of them won't change that they are still turds.  The AA isn't going to scare any CVs, the Secondaries will not keep the DDs away... IF you can get any stupid enough to get that close to fire your Secondaries at them.  These are not Bismarck, Alsace long range Secondaries.

I recommend Stealth - Survival Build on her.

19pts

PT or PM, your choice.

AR and EM, I'd go AR first.

BoS and SI, I'd go SI first for extra consumable.

FP and CE.  Personally I'd go CE first as you can do Caesar's "Pasta Ninja" tactics and give some ships, even Cruisers, nasty surprises.

Upgrades: MAM1 / DCSM1, ASM1

You'll buff your gun dispersion.  You'll be super stealthy for a BB.  You'll be better equipped to deal with the fires from the numerous CLs of mid tier.  You'll have max possible Repair Party charges.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Members
506 posts
62 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The Secondaries & AA suite on Caesar are terrible and IMO, not worth sacrificing points for.  They are turds, and putting whipped cream and candy sprinkles on top of them won't change that they are still turds.  The AA isn't going to scare any CVs, the Secondaries will not keep the DDs away... IF you can get any stupid enough to get that close to fire your Secondaries at them.  These are not Bismarck, Alsace long range Secondaries.

19pts

PT or PM, your choice.

FP and CE.  Personally I'd go CE first as you can do Caesar's "Pasta Ninja" tactics and give some ships, even Cruisers, nasty surprises.

You'll buff your gun dispersion.  You'll be super stealthy for a BB.  You'll be better equipped to deal with the fires from the numerous CLs of mid tier.  You'll have max possible Repair Party charges.

Nothing to add this is the most solid GC build in my opinion. 

Strengthen the strengths

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
47 posts

I sadly have a six point captain on her but I was going to do the same setup as your alternative. Faster turrets for "repositioning " AA and concealment . She is a strong fighter and can easily cit a Colo or NM on their flanks . Crusiers and even destroyers will be weary if your guns reposition faster , plus they are accurate . Don't forget reload expert for when you have to switch your ammo types.  

Cheers <o,

[1-]
Members
578 posts
3,359 battles
13 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

19pts

PT or PM, your choice.

Visualized the build for you:

3.thumb.png.269e2bf9ad73f71302b8f0f16d7877fe.png

My personal take on Vigilance is that when facing a single DD, I can usually observe his maneuvers, angle, and torpedo splash and tell from my experience where the torpedoes are coming. However, when facing multiples DDs (frequent in Tier 5, almost never in high tiers due to better teamwork), some torpedoes always catch me by surprise. Given, Vigilance's +25% torp spotting range is tiny, but is it really so useless for Giulio Cesare??

13 hours ago, Versili said:

I sadly have a six point captain on her but I was going to do the same setup as your alternative. Faster turrets for "repositioning " AA and concealment . She is a strong fighter and can easily cit a Colo or NM on their flanks . Crusiers and even destroyers will be weary if your guns reposition faster , plus they are accurate . Don't forget reload expert for when you have to switch your ammo types.  

Cheers <o,

Cesare's guns are certainly quite strong. They fell like Yamato/Musashi guns at Tier 5. Salvos from any angle dish out a minimum of few thousand damage. So solid.:fish_cute_2:

EM we all agree.

Japanese BB was the first line I grinded and I learned this game by playing Yamato. From that experience, ever since I always aim my turrets individually. I don't salvo unless I'm 100% confident. When I switch ammo, I'd rather do a straight-forward, untimed switch (thus some turrets are still loading), where Expert Loader (EL) gives me no benefit. But that's just for me.

• Cool 1

[1-]
Members
578 posts
3,359 battles

Untitled.thumb.png.b9301e37be73b4da63541d85279db0e8.png

Well, it turned out that Cesare's secondaries, although short ranged, aren't bad.

In the above lemming brawl I was using islands as cover while brawling 4 enemy BBs. Secondaries, to my surprise, scored quite some damage, even though these secondaries are still vanilla and enjoyed no upgrade/captain skills whatsoever. (7665+281)/(110182+7665+281) = 6.7% damage total. That's about as powerful as the secondaries on my Musashi.:fish_cute_2:

[1-]
Members
578 posts
3,359 battles

2.thumb.png.9a20b2e59dcbb733868f4b1d4945

^ I have redistributed captain skills similar to the alternative build I proposed at the top. Experiments indicate secondary build is totally viable with Cesare. :fish_cute_2: You just have to hug islands when brawling, so they act like your cover and campers from other directions can't focus on you. Pretty much the same like high tier brawler BBs, except that your secondaries only have 5 km range:

Untitled.thumb.png.7f783498178e16d02d1b9f45707f1945.png

^ (6360+5281)/113619 = whopping 10% damage (both fires were caused by secondaries). Damage-wise these secondaries on par with secondary-build Yamato and Musashi. 

[PLPT]
Members
635 posts
6,810 battles
15 hours ago, _Marines said:

whopping 10% damage

10% damage in special situations is still a waste of 4+ points. Compare to AR at 2 points for example...

Sign in to follow this