You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UssIowaSailor

Aiming with the dynamic cross hair in 4k

41 comments in this topic

Members
846 posts
10 battles

I just updated to a 43 inch 4k monitor. The game is beautiful but one thing I have noticed is that the calibration for the dynamic crosshair is off. It used to be one tick mark for 1 second of shell flight time for a ship traveling at thirty knots.  So if an Iowa class battleship was going in a straight line at full speed and it would take 10 seconds for the shells to get there you would put the 10 tic mark where you wanted to aim. It is WAY off at 4k and because I do not know the scale I can't hit anything consistently. Has anyone else had this issue?

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
711 posts

Maybe a trip to the training room to shoot trial shots and see where they land compared to where you are aiming?

[ICE9]
Members
813 posts
10 hours ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I just updated to a 43 inch 4k monitor. The game is beautiful but one thing I have noticed is that the calibration for the dynamic crosshair is off. It used to be one tick mark for 1 second of shell flight time for a ship traveling at thirty knots.  So if an Iowa class battleship was going in a straight line at full speed and it would take 10 seconds for the shells to get there you would put the 10 tic mark where you wanted to aim. It is WAY off at 4k and because I do not know the scale I can't hit anything consistently. Has anyone else had this issue?

Check your resolution aspect ratio. Make sure that ratio in Settings agrees with your physical screen dimensions.

Members
846 posts
10 battles
10 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Check your resolution aspect ratio. Make sure that ratio in Settings agrees with your physical screen dimensions.

Humm I will check that, I changed from a 27 inch 22x9 aspect ratio monitor to a 43 inch 16x9 4k monitor. 

Members
846 posts
10 battles
24 minutes ago, DESRON10 said:

Maybe a trip to the training room to shoot trial shots and see where they land compared to where you are aiming?

Can you program bots to travel in a strait line so I can get some reliable numbers, also do I have to enable training rooms or are they included in the game.

Members
1,761 posts
795 battles
4 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Can you program bots to travel in a strait line so I can get some reliable numbers, also do I have to enable training rooms or are they included in the game.

Available after you reach player level 15.

[-WPG-]
Members
801 posts
3,346 battles

Most likely the ship you were aiming at wasn't going full speed. The smoke is a rough gauge, but not exact. If the ship had just made a turn it would have bled speed. Very unlikely resolution is to blame. 

Members
1 post
30 battles

at 21:9 you were in widescreen mode so you had a wider view at 16:9 its not as wide but taller so where the sight was longer before its now

somewhat compressed.                            21:9                                               16:9

<-------------------------------->              <----------------------->

Members
846 posts
10 battles
40 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Most likely the ship you were aiming at wasn't going full speed. The smoke is a rough gauge, but not exact. If the ship had just made a turn it would have bled speed. Very unlikely resolution is to blame. 

I know they were going full speed, I was shooting at a Giulio Cesare, my shell flight time was 8 seconds. I should have had to put the 8 tic mark at the point of the ship I wanted to hit. The shot was falling quite a bit behind the target. So I was having to guess how much extra I was going to have to lead to hit the target. I could still hit from time to time but before I upgraded hitting ships traveling in a straight line was pretty much automatic. 

Members
846 posts
10 battles
1 minute ago, Heavym3tal said:

at 21:9 you were in widescreen mode so you had a wider view at 16:9 its not as wide but taller so where the sight was longer before its now

somewhat compressed.                            21:9                                               16:9

<-------------------------------->              <----------------------->

I will look in the settings, however I uninstalled the game for about 4 months and just reinstalled it a few days ago. I guess it is possible an old configuration file was there but I will change the aspect ratio to 16x9 even if it is on auto. I did talk to someone on the forums earlier in the week that was having the exact same problem after upgrading to a 43 inch 4k monitor. 

Beta Testers
1,047 posts
13,833 battles
3 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I know they were going full speed, I was shooting at a Giulio Cesare, my shell flight time was 8 seconds. I should have had to put the 8 tic mark at the point of the ship I wanted to hit. The shot was falling quite a bit behind the target. So I was having to guess how much extra I was going to have to lead to hit the target. I could still hit from time to time but before I upgraded hitting ships traveling in a straight line was pretty much automatic. 

As was stated earlier the dynamic crosshairs are based on a ship travelling at 30kts, the "shell flight time" is also based on this speed. If you use the tic marks exactly you are likely to miss the spot you are aiming at.

Knowing the top speeds of the ships you are targeting and the ability to judge the actual speed they are moving at, is essential in gaining good hits.

Good Luck!

[SIMP]
Members
832 posts
8,419 battles
11 hours ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Yes I changed to a static crosshair

Members
326 posts
31 battles
20 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

As was stated earlier the dynamic crosshairs are based on a ship travelling at 30kts, the "shell flight time" is also based on this speed. If you use the tic marks exactly you are likely to miss the spot you are aiming at.

Knowing the top speeds of the ships you are targeting and the ability to judge the actual speed they are moving at, is essential in gaining good hits.

Good Luck!

I understand this, I know the GC does not travel at a full 30 knots, so my shot should have been landing in front of the GC not behind it. 

In 33 battles in the GC I have a 73% win rate and a main battery hit rate of 36% I know how to aim, on my 21x9 aspect ratio monitor I was deadly accurate. On the 43 inch 4k monitor the scale of the dynamic cross hair is off by a huge margin. I probably had a hit rate of 10% last night. I will switch to the static cross hair and see if that addresses the issue. 

Members
326 posts
31 battles
9 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Have you recalibrated the Mark I yet?

lol yea I am using the scaling UI so old blind farts like me can see when using 4k.

Members
326 posts
31 battles
19 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Yes I changed to a static crosshair

So you noticed the same thing? Is the scale correct on the static?

[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
3,973 battles

Switch to a static aimer, and adjust your ui scaling. You'll find the sweetspot around 3/4 of the full bar. And aimer number 3 seems to work pretty good. 43" 4k monitor. So I know where you are comin from.

Edited by Mavairo

[XBRTC]
Members
1,406 posts
7,417 battles

I use the dynamic crosshair from Aslain's, and I play in 4k on a 43".

The dynamic crosshair from Aslain's has 30kt calibrated tickmarks above the line, and 20kt calibrated tickmarks below the line. 

I find that in 4k I need to bracket the target with the two tickmarks. In other words, when I'm shooting at a full speed fast BB and my time of flight is 12 seconds, make sure that both the 20- and 30-knot marks are more or less on the target ship. Rounds will usually land between the two. 

Members
326 posts
31 battles
16 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I use the dynamic crosshair from Aslain's, and I play in 4k on a 43".

The dynamic crosshair from Aslain's has 30kt calibrated tickmarks above the line, and 20kt calibrated tickmarks below the line. 

I find that in 4k I need to bracket the target with the two tickmarks. In other words, when I'm shooting at a full speed fast BB and my time of flight is 12 seconds, make sure that both the 20- and 30-knot marks are more or less on the target ship. Rounds will usually land between the two. 

I have Aslans mod, do you know which dynamic cross hair you use? There are a ton to choose from. 

Members
326 posts
31 battles
24 minutes ago, Mavairo said:

Switch to a static aimer, and adjust your ui scaling. You'll find the sweetspot around 3/4 of the full bar. And aimer number 3 seems to work pretty good. 43" 4k monitor. So I know where you are comin from.

Adjust to 3/4 of the UI scaling bar?

[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
3,973 battles
1 minute ago, Theokolese said:

Adjust to 3/4 of the UI scaling bar?

Yep, between that and the 3rd static crosshair you'll be pretty much on target everytime. 

[SIMP]
Members
832 posts
8,419 battles
34 minutes ago, Theokolese said:

So you noticed the same thing? Is the scale correct on the static?

It's off some, for example if a fast ship, 30+ knts, 10 seconds indicated, I may have to go 15-17 ticks to hit. You can then fine tune it. I find after using it you get your "eye".

I also use the mini map to aim to ensure I have a proper lateral lead, using the aiming circle and target heading line. This works for ships in smoke on last spotted location.

If all that fails, I have dead reckoning along with firing in proximity to my projected aim point.

I find I get hits against most but not against aggressively maneuvering underage botes.

I found the dynamic crosshair was inconsistently off so it made it hard to compensate for.

Watch some good players and take note of aiming, sometimes its counter intuative.

Members
326 posts
31 battles
4 minutes ago, Mavairo said:

Yep, between that and the 3rd static crosshair you'll be pretty much on target everytime. 

I will try that tonight and report my findings. Thank you so very much for the help. I am a high level BB player and it was so frustrating not being able to hit anything consistently. We were 3/4 of the way through the match and I had 9k in damage. I did manage to land two kill shots on two of the three enemies GC's for 20k each but those were blind luck.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,406 posts
7,417 battles
50 minutes ago, Theokolese said:

I have Aslans mod, do you know which dynamic cross hair you use? There are a ton to choose from. 

There's only two dynamic, actually. But! That's an improvement: Aslain's only had one dynamic the last time I looked, so I'm sort of excited to see there's a new one! The one I've been using is Nobogram, but I'm going to check out ProShips now.