You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cdr84

Game launchers, closed should mean off!

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
69 posts

Does this bug anyone else?

Game launchers..., closed should mean off/shut down! When I click the 'X' the prog should be stopped, not still deceptively running in the background.

Wargaming's game center isn't the only culprit. So many (Steam, Uplay, My.com, to name a few) of these things don't seem to understand that closed is supposed to mean off.

This is one of the reasons I hate these things. I shouldn't have to go into the notification area or the task manager to shut something down.

The only one that I use that does shut down when I close it is Gaijin's.

Members
22 posts
72 battles

This is a feature, it even states this on the launcher.

You can disable it in the settings if it annoys you.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,498 posts
2,448 battles
17 minutes ago, Cdr84 said:

Game launchers..., closed should mean off/shut down! When I click the 'X' the prog should be stopped, not still deceptively running in the background.

All game launchers have at least two parts: the window you see (and close), and a process running in the background to do various things like check for updates or launch a game.  This background process is really why the launcher exists.  (Steam has a window, but you don't even need it to start a game.)

The X on a window frame means "close this window".  It bears no direct relation to the background process.  To manage that, you must go to other controls.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

All game launchers have at least two parts: the window you see (and close), and a process running in the background to do various things like check for updates or launch a game.  This background process is really why the launcher exists.  (Steam has a window, but you don't even need it to start a game.)

The X on a window frame means "close this window".  It bears no direct relation to the background process.  To manage that, you must go to other controls.

This, if you want to completely shut down the WGC close it from the system tray.

[PVE]
Members
5,700 posts
18,273 battles

Yeah this is a new thing where the buttons that have had a set definition for a couple of decades are being redefined. "X" always meant close program, the "-" would minimize. I agree with the OP, it is annoying although easy to overcome. Among the options NOT available thru the launcher is the option to end GLC when game boots... Seems no brainer, not sure why no one thought of the one thing that many players would want added to something that is supposed to be useful.... It is almost like everything has to be reinvented, that no one learns anything from successful games/programs...  

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah this is a new thing where the buttons that have had a set definition for a couple of decades are being redefined. "X" always meant close program, the "-" would minimize. I agree with the OP, it is annoying although easy to overcome. Among the options NOT available thru the launcher is the option to end GLC when game boots... Seems no brainer, not sure why no one thought of the one thing that many players would want added to something that is supposed to be useful.... It is almost like everything has to be reinvented, that no one learns anything from successful games/programs...  

It isn't really new, programs "closing" to the system tray have been around since at least Windows 95/98. What is different is they don't tell you they are only going to the system tray like they used to.

[PVE]
Members
5,700 posts
18,273 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It isn't really new, programs "closing" to the system tray have been around since at least Windows 95/98. What is different is they don't tell you they are only going to the system tray like they used to.

Some may have, I remember none that did. Course I stuck with DOS until Windows 98 and 2000 came out then switched to Mac. Maybe it was a setting, but like I said, the "x" was always close program. IIRC if you hovered your mouse over it, it would say close program as well....

[HEROS]
Members
1,431 posts
12,102 battles

ahh  "Terminate and Stay Resident"  a "TSR"  you'll find number of apps do this. (winamp, Steam, discord etc) you close them but they leave a kernal operating.  Typically the icon is down in the tool tray in the lower right corner of your screen..  You can close the TSR and it won't effect the game.  And shouldn't anyway..they're really quite small in memory.  teh wg.net launcher does have one good reason to leave it on.. if you get a game crash it can send a crash log off to WG so they can get such stuff fixed.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
9 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

ahh  "Terminate and Stay Resident"  a "TSR"  you'll find number of apps do this. (winamp, Steam, discord etc) you close them but they leave a kernal operating.  Typically the icon is down in the tool tray in the lower right corner of your screen..  You can close the TSR and it won't effect the game.  And shouldn't anyway..they're really quite small in memory.  teh wg.net launcher does have one good reason to leave it on.. if you get a game crash it can send a crash log off to WG so they can get such stuff fixed.

True but the WGC doesn't always sit quietly while a game or some other program is running.

[HEROS]
Members
1,431 posts
12,102 battles

True nuff if one of your WG games has a new update, unless you tell the launcher otherwise it will start downloading and installing it without checking with you.  Same same with any news or notifications though those are very low impact. A game patch how ever is not!

[WOLF3]
Members
6,498 posts
2,448 battles
4 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

"X" always meant close program,

No.  X has always meant "Close the window frame".  Many main programs used that cue from the highest-level frame to shut themselves down, but it's not the meaning of the window control, which has long been defined as a CUA standard.  With an always-on network connection, the nature of many programs has changed.

[PVE]
Members
5,700 posts
18,273 battles
14 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

No.  X has always meant "Close the window frame".  Many main programs used that cue from the highest-level frame to shut themselves down, but it's not the meaning of the window control, which has long been defined as a CUA standard.  With an always-on network connection, the nature of many programs has changed.

Odd I am at work and the programs used here with Windows 10 all close when you hit X... They are not minimized or running in the background.....

I suspect it is up to individual programs to what it does, saying that it always just closes the window and it still runs is wrong. Dunno if PC magazine is an authority on programming but here is what they say (it was top of the list on Google search)

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/57110/x-button

Odd that it says Mac closes the window but keeps running, I did not know that but I haven't used the x button on my Macs since I learned keyboard commands to quit programs.... I started using Macs around 2004 or so probably closer to 2001, just can not remember.

Edited by Taylor3006

[POP]
Members
1,172 posts
15,156 battles
6 hours ago, Cdr84 said:

Does this bug anyone else?

Wargaming's game center isn't the only culprit. So many (Steam, Uplay, My.com, to name a few) of these things don't seem to understand that closed is supposed to mean off.

This is one of the reasons I hate these things. I shouldn't have to go into the notification area or the task manager to shut something down.

The only one that I use that does shut down when I close it is Gaijin's.

Here is a better solution to the problem have WG scrap the new launcher like almost the entire community want and keep the old one solves all the problems, however try explaining this logical thing to them and what do they do design a OP/ Broken Battlecruiser instead.

• Cool 2