You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Prkl8r

Your experience with Cossack vs other DDs?

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
513 posts
1,325 battles

I find from my experience that Cossack is not a very good DD hunter. I do much better in games that I have little interaction with enemy DD's. I know that could probably be said for just about any DD, but for a ship that WG's own post (https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/history/museum-cossack/) advocates it's roll as a DD hunter, it seems to be very bad at that roll in the game.

I'm not saying it's a bad ship, it's fun and I have had good games in it, but mostly as a scout/capitol ship harasser.

I think the reasons for this are it's slow speed combined with it's super floaty, low velocity shells.

Anyway, Just wondering if I'm playing it wrong and other people are finding it great as a DD hunter, or if everybody is finding this.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts

Well, it didn't have much luck hunting my Loyang, or my Kidd, or the Shima, Gearing, or z-52 for that matter. I seldom play the Russian pocket cruiser, but I am pretty sure the Khab would begin playing a banjo and tell Cossack to "Squeal like a pig".

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
24 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

I find from my experience that Cossack is not a very good DD hunter. I do much better in games that I have little interaction with enemy DD's. I know that could probably be said for just about any DD, but for a ship that WG's own post (https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/history/museum-cossack/) advocates it's roll as a DD hunter, it seems to be very bad at that roll in the game.

I'm not saying it's a bad ship, it's fun and I have had good games in it, but mostly as a scout/capitol ship harasser.

I think the reasons for this are it's slow speed combined with it's super floaty, low velocity shells.

Anyway, Just wondering if I'm playing it wrong and other people are finding it great as a DD hunter, or if everybody is finding this.

I haven't found any of the RN DD's to be very effective as dedicated DD hunters. Good scouts and later cap challengers. But since I only have Icarus and only seen a Cossack once and he was on my team while I was in a Hatsuharu he went eadt and I went west so I never got to see it in action:Smile_amazed:

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
443 posts
5,500 battles

RN dd are hard to play lay without a division or team play. 

I have the lighting which has no problems with dds not from America one on one. She has better turret rotation and faster reloading guns than Cossack but one less turret. 

Still the name of the game is don’t get seen early. Very challenging dds to play solo

• Cool 1

[SDIWO]
Members
1,032 posts
5,361 battles
32 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

I haven't found any of the RN DD's to be very effective as dedicated DD hunters. Good scouts and later cap challengers. But since I only have Icarus and only seen a Cossack once and he was on my team while I was in a Hatsuharu he went eadt and I went west so I never got to see it in action:Smile_amazed:

I've only been playing Jervis, have the two lower tier ones as well but haven't felt like playing them with their slower turret rotation, so I can only judge on Jervis. She does pretty good against other DDs, has high alpha, and the single shot torpedo can make for some interesting spreads....but while you're firing off all those single shots your enemy just sent two spreads at you in maybe 1/5th of the time and is back to guns.

I really didn't like the ship to start off with her but the more I play because of these RN missions the more I'm getting used to her....peculiarities. I'd feel pretty comfortable going head to head in a tier for tier battle against most ships, but I also know I'd come out of it low on health whereas with other ships, especially the USN ones, I feel confident I can take down a tier for tier DD and have at least half health.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,482 battles

Against other dd’s, I don’t usually use single fire toros. That’s reserved for bigger targets. If I’m using torpedoes  against  add it’s a snap shot in an emergency situation and I’m not taking the time to single fire.

the alpha on the guns is great, though against a dd you need to be up close and personal.

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,054 posts
7,794 battles

One of my favorite T8 DDs so far. Top tier DD hunter, lots of team support potential, very high skill and rewarding. Not sure why anybody would say that it is not a good DD hunter, since it has everything it needs to be the best at that role. Fast smoke, hydro, best guns, decent speed, amazing concealment. If you want a more versatile T8 premium DD there are plenty to choose from but this one will win out against those for its role. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,005 posts
13,744 battles

With Cossack I have found it to be very good as an anti DD destroyer.

Tactically you have to change the way you engage, forget about trying to kill your opponent in the one engagement and think along the lines of multiple engagements whittling away their health without giving them an easy target to farm.

1. Utilise your stealth to get into a position where you can engage them while you are either mirroring their movements or already turning to a kiting position.
  2. Pop hydro (The Hydro upgrade is a must if you can afford one) 
  3. Keep them spotted without using your guns for your team to have a chance at focus firing
  4. Send three or four salvos then smoke whilst kitting away (so far I have reliably gotten 3000 to 5000 hp damage doing this)
  5. reposition
  6. Repeat and keep nibbling away

To counter the fast gun boats like Khab don't isolate yourself from your team. You dictate the engagement and should be able to work back towards friendlies when kiting. It is rare that a gun boat DD will push in close to friendly cruisers just to try and get a DD kill. You also have the option of just keeping them spotted while remaining in stealth.

The only DDs that can out spot you (basically Kagero variants) will be counter spotted almost immediately and they will break off contact if they can.

Captain skill wise I have settled on the following: It is not ideal as I would like to have RPF but to do so would mean I have to drop BFT/SE & AR which on balance would leave it a lot weaker.

Spoiler

gT1LN99.jpg

Edited by Camo68
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
852 posts
5,984 battles

I have no issues going anti-DD in the Cossack. I actually uae it for anti-DD most of the time. Lol

Just pick the right time to engage and disengage. She's quite strong in the anti-DD role.

[LANCE]
Members
316 posts
3,291 battles
13 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

Tactically you have to change the way you engage, forget about trying to kill your opponent in the one engagement and think along the lines of multiple engagements whittling away their health without giving them an easy target to farm.

1. Utilise your stealth to get into a position where you can engage them while you are either mirroring their movements or already turning to a kiting position.
  3. Keep them spotted without using your guns for your team to have a chance at focus firing
  4. Send three or four salvos then smoke whilst kitting away (so far I have reliably gotten 3000 to 5000 hp damage doing this)
  5. reposition

To counter the fast gun boats like Khab don't isolate yourself from your team. You dictate the engagement and should be able to work back towards friendlies when kiting. It is a rare that a gun boat DD will push in close to friendly cruisers just to try and get a DD kill. You also have the option of just keeping them spotted while remaining in stealth.

The only DDs that can out spot you (basically Kagero variants) will be counter spotted almost immediately and they will break off contact if they can.

^^^ This

Also if you catch a DD without any friends he’ll usually pop smoke once you outspot him. I’ll then pop hydro and move in closer (1/4 -1/2 speed) until he lights up. You’ll get a couple of salvo’s off before they can react, usually running away as they can’t see you. You have excellent acceleration so can keep up long enough to put some real hurt on them. If you need to break off, pop smoke and turn away. Rinse and repeat until they’re dead!

• Cool 1

[BARON]
Beta Testers
90 posts
4,800 battles

Though I haven't been lucky getting the Lightning($90 in crates and countless regular ones) I did get the Jervis though. I find that to be a very good DD that is hella fun hunting DDs with. As of right now I have only played 8 battles in it but been averaging two DD kills per game with it. The short duration, quick reload smoke is great and works for the playstyle. The hydro is not German hydro but very effective. The guns hurt squishy targets. And what Camo68 says is spot on. I took out a full health Kitakaze solo and lost only a little more than a 1/3 health. 

Members
367 posts
5,200 battles

Well, Haida and Jervis aren't really cossack, but the Lightning isn't either. I would still consider them quite similar roles.

First and foremost, if the enemy makes a mistake, you do punish them. The smoke is less useful on the RN DDs than on Haida, but still a strong disengagement tool. The RN DDs all kind of ended up extremely terrible or extremely strong (is anyone surprised?) Its a difficult to play t8 (especially with WGs terrible MM system). It would fit better at t7.

Damage saturation is a stupid mechanic and needs to leave. I lost a game because I couldnt kill a 500 HP leander due to damage saturation on its nose.

Beta Testers
1,199 posts
6,207 battles

The ship legitimately only excels at anti-DD duties...

If you're not finding success with it, rethink your strategies and how you're approaching each fight. Are you picking fights in areas that you should not be? With lots of enemy ships supporting them? There's a certain degree of discretion that you need to employ when trying to hunt other destroyers; your hydro is a tremendous warning tool of general DD direction and distance, you can judge enemy DD distance very roughly based on the amount their torpedo salvoes have spread out, and choose whether or not you have the capacity to push in a little bit or play more defensively.

• Bad 1

[CRMSN]
5,411 posts
3,583 battles
10 hours ago, Prkl8r said:

Its more of a ambush predator, not a brute force hunter. 

The biggest issue is it doesn't have a large HP pool to tango with the big boy DD hunters. 

It has great DPM, but bad HP. So you need to use that top tier concealment to pick and choose your engagements and strike when the target is least expecting it. 

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
8 hours ago, Camo68 said:

5. reposition

To counter the fast gun boats like Khab don't isolate yourself from your team. You dictate the engagement and should be able to work back towards friendlies when kiting. It is rare that a gun boat DD will push in close to friendly cruisers just to try and get a DD kill. You also have the option of just keeping them spotted while remaining in stealth.

Captain skill wise I have settled on the following: It is not ideal as I would like to have RPF but to do so would mean I have to drop BFT/SE & AR which on balance would leave it a lot weaker.

Hide contents

gT1LN99.jpg

You will be able to drop IFHE on the Tier 9 and 10s as their improved AP pen angles and short fusing mean you can use mostly AP against DDs. That frees up 4 points for RPF.

[RKN]
Members
1,425 posts
12,238 battles
8 hours ago, NeoRussia said:

One of my favorite T8 DDs so far. Top tier DD hunter, lots of team support potential, very high skill and rewarding. Not sure why anybody would say that it is not a good DD hunter, since it has everything it needs to be the best at that role. Fast smoke, hydro, best guns, decent speed, amazing concealment. If you want a more versatile T8 premium DD there are plenty to choose from but this one will win out against those for its role. 

I agree. Love this ship so far. Rewards good plays very well.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,850 posts
9,604 battles
10 hours ago, LubzinNJ said:

the single shot torpedo can make for some interesting spreads....but while you're firing off all those single shots your enemy just sent two spreads at you in maybe 1/5th of the time and is back to guns.

This is a huge thing. 

When you are at DEFCON 1 in a knife fight, you need to launch NOW and launch at wide spreads. Every DD in a knife fight knows to WASD, those torps are for distracting as much they are killing. Narrow spread won’t cut it. 

[CRMSN]
5,411 posts
3,583 battles

The only ships it should really struggle againts is Kidd and Akizuki. 

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
942 posts
5,985 battles

Lol, I'm buying Cossack when I get the last 4 guineas from this weeks RN missions (I did get the 10 guineas for 1$). I have the Jervis, when I get home i'm going to try shooting off a super wide premptive torpedo spread on a DD thats sailing towards/parallel to me.... That's hilarious, never thought to do that. I can see them wasting mental energy on not sailing into the torps and ruining their gunnery mojo.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
14 hours ago, LubzinNJ said:

I've only been playing Jervis, have the two lower tier ones as well but haven't felt like playing them with their slower turret rotation, so I can only judge on Jervis. She does pretty good against other DDs, has high alpha, and the single shot torpedo can make for some interesting spreads....but while you're firing off all those single shots your enemy just sent two spreads at you in maybe 1/5th of the time and is back to guns.

I really didn't like the ship to start off with her but the more I play because of these RN missions the more I'm getting used to her....peculiarities. I'd feel pretty comfortable going head to head in a tier for tier battle against most ships, but I also know I'd come out of it low on health whereas with other ships, especially the USN ones, I feel confident I can take down a tier for tier DD and have at least half health.

I whole heartedly agree. I took down a Icarus this morning that was too busy trying to gun me that he never realized i sent torps at him in my gaede. Yesteday I ran into a jervis in my Pod. He won that engagement as I totally whiffed.