Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

Saint Louis

11 comments in this topic

Members
705 posts
10,526 battles

To me, this ship hits as hard as Chappy (or Shchors even), but has 5 km longer torps, and takes a mile to stop, turn, and start. I have hit Bismarck and North Carolina as hard or harder with these than I can with Louis, and I have a shorter reload and am a smaller target with these T7/T8 Russian boats. The speed boost and reload rate consumables make it about as rapid fire as either of those Russian cruises with AD Rush and 20% health remaining, and then almost as nimble. But I am in a T10 contest. So my damage rate is in the low 20K range, and even with a premium account, I am burning through credits just for the experience of deploying her. Louis can shoot about 1km further, but shells landing are doing almost nothing to the enemy.

I play the Helena twice just to play Louis once, just to keep the credit balance renewed.

Its not turret rate, its not reload rate, and its not dispersion, but the lack of damage upon impact. I tried AP too.  I have had T8  BBs hide behind islands when my Helena is on an AD Rush rampage, but a T9/10 BB can't wait for Louis to get into their range finder. I can dodge those incoming shells with Helena,  but not so with the large, less nimble Louis. Neptune and Zao and the like fire many shells to calibrate impact zones, while Louis only gets a few tries at this before she is done.

Last battle, 64 HE shots fired into Montana up against the border and stalled broadside, and set 1 fire with 15.79K damage before I was gone. Range between 13 and 11 km. Last place in team summary, and would have cost 43K credits without premium just for the privilege of the experience.

Then tried a battle with all AP, since its AP is a tad (4900 versus 4700) better than Takao, although its HE is quite a bit worse than Takao. And HE on Takao is great. So 39 hits for 15.4K damage, against last on team again. 

Edited by Ericson38

Members
705 posts
10,526 battles

Win rate is great, since the teams don't need me it seems. Come in last in rank almost every game. DDs easily chase it down. I have seen BBs just watch the DDs sink me and not fire a shot, in deference of who was shooting at me 1st.

Edited by Ericson38

[RUSHB]
Members
148 posts
2,258 battles

While I have not gotten to the Louis yet (On the T8), seems like you are doing something wrong if you are only getting in the low 20's for damage. First off, no way in hell I would ever get within 11-13km of a Montana in a Cruiser. And if you put 64 HE shells on it, should definitely have had more than 1 fire, maybe you were hitting the same part of the ship?

Members
705 posts
10,526 battles

Single savloed out by Missouri at 15 km behind mountain. At full health, 3 minutes into game. She is slow and wonderful for sure. Kind of a benchmark at game # 10,001.

Edited by Ericson38

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,150 posts
14,555 battles
3 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

Single savloed out by Missouri at 15 km behind mountain. At full health, 3 minutes into game. She is slow and wonderful for sure. Kind of a benchmark at game # 10,001.

Sure no other Cruiser at high tier has never been 1-shotted by a Battleship???

[PLPT]
Members
636 posts
6,850 battles

St. Louis is pretty frustrating for sure.  My steering gears were disabled 5 times in 5 minutes.  Just ridiculous.  And the citadel must extend all the way to the aft (haven’t looked yet)... I got one-shotted by shells that landed nearly on my rudder, nowhere near the middle of the ship. And my WR sucks so far... losing battles regardless of my damage or survival.  It’s really hard to carry and you need support from a competent team. No wonder this is one of the least-played cruisers.

Dont forget to pay money money money to Free XP past it.  Typical T9 trash.

Edited by n00bot

[PLPT]
Members
636 posts
6,850 battles
18 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Sure no other Cruiser at high tier has never been 1-shotted by a Battleship???

St Louis is even worse.  I angled 15-20 degrees to a Baltimore and still took full pens.  Try the boat.  It’s baad.

Members
705 posts
10,526 battles

It is very hard to play at all, too long for its weak guns, detection not that good for CL, and no radar. The reload rate boost is a gadget more than anything else. I'm used to fragile since I play Russian cruisers too.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,150 posts
14,555 battles
On 10/6/2018 at 11:54 AM, n00bot said:

St Louis is even worse.  I angled 15-20 degrees to a Baltimore and still took full pens.  Try the boat.  It’s baad.

1.  You made a mistake of getting into close enough ranges for a USN CA to start hitting you.

2.  Not only that, you're not familiar with how USN CA AP shells work.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Armor-Piercing

You thought you had sufficient angle to bounce Baltimore's SHS AP shells, but as you can see, with the more forgiving bounce angles USN CA AP has, you were still not angled enough and so you were getting penned the sh*t out of you.  Not only do they have good bounce angles to their AP, but the shells are heavy (SHS) and have high penetration.  A lot of people fall for this actually.  Lots of players aren't familiar with Cruisers with special AP bounce angles.  They think their behavior is all the same.  USN CA AP is devastating to Cruisers.  But the easy counter for this with a French Cruiser?  Don't fight at 11km or less with a USN Cruiser.  Their floaty shells, especially for the VIII+ CAs and all their CLs, make them troublesome to attack targets smaller than a BB at past 11km.

gB2BbD2.jpg

Des Moines in Tier X has the same AP shells as Baltimore.  It even is stronger than Hindenburg's AP in terms of Penetration.  German CAs don't get the USN CA AP bounce angles, either.

The price USN CAs have to pay for such nice AP is that their shells are floaty.  You keep the range far enough, the USN CA will struggle to hit you while your shells perform better in connecting at range.  A Cruiser fighting a USN CA on its terms, a short ranged fight, has put themselves in a disadvantage.  Even Hindenburg gets hammered badly by USN CAs in short ranged fights.  Even worse is if you run into a Des Moines with her 5.5 second reloads.  French Cruisers play best at range.  Don't play into the hands of the USN CA that would love to fight at closer ranges.

This brings to mind a story I had when grinding Charles Martel or Saint-Louis still.  It was months ago, in the old North map.  You know those cluster of islands in the middle but south of the middle channel?  There was a DM and Baltimore camping those islands, lobbing shells at my teammates that were north, northwest of them.  The ships with level shooting guns couldn't hit them in return.   I was in the north and middle of the map and I sailed west to engage them, but as I entered their field of fire, I turned away and separated, putting distance between me and them.  I was initially at 10km, and as I increased distance, DM and Baltimore struggled more and more to try and hit me.  Not even DM's 5.5 second reloading guns were anywhere near close to hit me at 14km.  I then lobbed my shells over the island, regularly hitting them, and they were forced to cease gunfire and leave their camping spot.

Do not give the USN Cruisers the short ranged fight they need to excel.  Deny that, and troll the sh*t out of them with range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this