You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TitanicMan2

British DDs First Impressions

12 comments in this topic

[-THOR]
Members
583 posts
3,225 battles

I have been gone from WOWS for quite a while and decided to check back due to the Royal Navy Update. Opened some boxes and got the Acasta, Icarus, and Jervis, along with enough sovereigns for a Gallant.

My favorite ship from the bunch is the Jervis. I only had one game in it, but it wasn't bad at all considering my mediocre performance in destroyers. I like the combination of good turret angles on the 3rd turret, hydro, and very fast firing guns that can allow you to deal with any destroyer threats.

Spoiler

28a3ebd04e9830bd14ec70b6ba1381ed-jpg.jpg

The main weakpoints with the Jervis I notice is mostly in the lack of AA power which really applies for most of the British DDs. The torpedo angles are improved from earlier ships but still aren't that great. It has a healthy amount of 10 torpedoes that can fire to both sides which is pretty good and the single fire feature is pretty nice, but it only has 7 km of range.

I tried the Gallant twice in Ops and once in Random. The main thing really was it's lack of firepower and slow turret traverse. It was an OK destroyer, just not the best. I tried the Acasta and Icarus only once and failed terribly in both of them due to uptiers. They both seem fairly similar to Gallant, only that they can't really stealth fire too well with torpedoes compared to Gallant.

Overall, the British DDs are quite... fascinating

[SALVO]
Members
17,030 posts
17,629 battles

@TitanicMan2 Given that the tier 5 Acasta can't stealth torp at all (unless you count firing 6 km torps at a target a little over 6km away, but closing on your position as "stealth torping"), it's hard to get too wound up about that.  And while the Icarus' 7 km upgraded torps only have a 1 km buffer over her 6 km best concealment range, I haven't had that much of a problem using them.  They're fairly stealthy torps.  OTOH, I'll agree that they probably don't have  enough range for those times when you are bottom tier in a battle with a lot of DDs and perhaps some radar as well.  Still, I've done well enough with them.  They're hard to detect and seem to hit pretty hard for tier 6 torps.   I don't have the Jervis (or the mission), so I have no opinion on her at this point.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I'm loving the Jervis for all the reasons the OP said. These seem to me to be very much destroyers tailored for the cruiser captain. You don't get speed boost, smoke isn't a get out of jail free card, and the torpedoes are situational due to their bad firing angles and "okay, but not great" range. On the other hand their acceleration and turn handling are simply INSANE, the guns are good, and you get hydro for chasing down smoke-firers and warning you to activate torpedobeats.  You get the pluses of a destroyer that are easy to adapt to, but the minuses don't count too hard against you if you're used to playing larger ships.

• Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
446 posts
10,085 battles

Just a couple of battles on Icarus.

As USN ships are "Jack of all trades, master of none", RN feel like "meh of all trades, master of none".

Could not any role, RN DDs are really good at, so to justify them. May be Pan Asian DDs role with DD hurting torps?

Still struggling with them. Not bad as to drop them, not good to embrace them.

Time will tell

Members
120 posts
6,525 battles
4 hours ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

RN feel like "meh of all trades, master of none".

Can't help but agree.

If their concealment were a tich better they could at least detect others when they're detected.

If their gun rotation were a tich better they could get guns on target at the same pace as others.

If their torpedoes arc were a tich better, they could maneuver and get torps away without giving others so much broadside.

If their smoke was a tich bigger, or a tich longer, they could contest caps like others.

Right now, I just don't know what a RN DD is supposed to do?  What's they're role? They can't spot without being spotted by other DDs faster. They can't contest caps, they don't have the guns, stealthiness, or smoke screen longevity to try.  Are they just small cruisers that are supposed to skulk around islands hoping an enemy ship will foolishly travel close enough that they can get torps into them?   I just don't know.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I think the main hang-up that people are having is that, much like the USN CLs, they're meant to be support ships first and foremost. These aren't ships designed to carry matches, they're force-multipliers that help other ships with support fire and hydro. If you're caught alone in an RN DD early in the match, moreso than any other ship, you're dead. Later in the match you can come out and hunt stragglers and other lolibotes, even flip caps over to your team.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,041 posts

Bad Points out weigh  all good points  on all RN   DD's  No Boost,Short Duration Smoke,  none of them do Anything  Better  than any other Nations DD's not as stealthy  as IJN  DD's  gun's aren't as good as  USN  DD's(quoting @LittleWhiteMouse  and WG  wiki bad firing angles all guns bad firing angles on torps bad main gun ballistics)   poor  AA  so not  good there  Hydroaccoustic not as good as  German Version  so RN  DD's  are generalist  ships  IE  Jack of All Trades Master of None.    The one area  they do little better and this is debatable like a race horse they can be quick out of the gate/faster moving at the start  other than that?     Meh:Smile_sad:

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,041 posts

Just got my fourth  RN DD  mission Lightning  late this afternoon early evening   Oh and lol  got Gallant  n  Haida  shortly after of all the ships to get.............................Massachusetts  would have been nice or Scharnhorst  I'd have been over the moon if I'd gotten Belfast  or  Kutuzov...............................However I got what I got  and free is free:Smile_sad:

Edited by shadowsrmine

Members
120 posts
6,525 battles

I've been playing the Jervis extensively lately.. I felt it appropriate to do all the Royal Navy missions in a Royal Navy DD.

As I said in an earlier post, she's "meh" at everything.

My record so far: 145 battles, 74 wins (51%), 22 survived.

I played 15 games in her today: 1 "really good" game, but my team still lost.  1 "good" game, and the rest totally forgettable.

She's "A little too blank." Turret traverse.. A little too slow. Torpedo reload, a little too slow. Torpedo arc, a little too small. Torpedo range, a little too short. Concealment, a little too big. Speed, a little too slow.

If you don't have (at least) a 14 point captain on her, you'll struggle.... a lot.  It'll be very frustrating because you can't do anything other DDs can do. You can't contest caps, you can't spot, you can't torp, you can gun-boat.  All you can do, is sail around, hoping enemy ships target ships around you instead, and then pick up scraps.

Maybe the best way to play her is to be AFK the first 5 minutes of every match, then join in after that.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,554 battles

My impression so far is that they're just dull. 

• Cool 2

[DENY]
Members
337 posts
4,684 battles
1 hour ago, Grflrgl said:

My impression so far is that they're just dull. 

You probably haven't  play the lighting , that one is totally different, I use mine to contest cap , hunt DD , harass the enemy , they suit me well 

Edited by dad003
  • Boring 1