Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rannith

Khabarovsk Guide by Rannith

8 comments in this topic

[OKZZ]
Members
119 posts
2,429 battles

About Me:
I usually play Russian destroyer with the occasional Russian cruiser game from time to time. I have over 350 pvp battles, I average 1160 XP per game, with a destruction ratio of 1.6, and average about 53k damage in my X Khab. I have built this ship and her commander in many different ways and I would like to share with you guys what is working for me and what is not.

Intro:
Let us first understand that every pvp match is different. It is impossible to build a ship for every scenario you face in game. At some point in a game, you may need to do something that is outside the strength of the ship. Like capturing nodes in a battleship. It doesn't happen often but does happen. With that said, this guide is help the Khabarovsk in many scenarios do what she is designed to do as a destroyer, as well as having the offensive capabilities that is needed.

Role:
Generally the role of this ship is no different than any other destroyer. Your job is to spot the enemy force, capture nodes, and provide support by lighting fires, and using torps. Obviously she cannot stealth torp with 6km range. So they will need to be used in ambush situations. Her guns on the other hand, are very good. The size of this destroyer is very large and does not have the agility of other destroyers. The speed is there but the agility is not. She is one of the fastest destroyers in the game boasting superior armor for her class. For these reasons, many people ignore that she is a destroyer and build her up like a cruiser. They ignore concealment and go straight for damage and tanking the enemy rain with rudder shift upgrades, survivability perks, repair modules, and so on. From now on, I will refer this in the future as "Speed Tanking". You want to be able to at least compete at capturing nodes. Not neglecting your main role as a destroyer. She is a triangle.

Why NOT to use Speed Tank:
There are many reason why not to use this role and I will list them here.
1.) It hurts the team as a whole : When you are speed tanking and constantly firing your guns, you are typically not doing this while capturing nodes. If you are doing this while capturing, you will be very close to the enemy team and be an easy target. Most Khabs that speed tank stay outside the nodes neglecting them all together until they feel like they want to move in. This puts the trailing cruisers and battleships in a state of limbo about what to do next. This is when you can expect someone to start complaining.
I have had people tear me up in chat without me saying a word all because I did not cap a node. Most people don't care you have bad concealment, they will see you as a destroyer that is not doing their job. On a side note... because of all this, my Karma rating drastically goes up and down.
2.) RNG as a weapon: Yes, your main method of dealing damage "lighting fires" is a random chance(RNG). I have had games where I hit 300 times with HE and only set 4 fires. Combine this with the fact that people use damage control mods, captain skills, repair modules and even signals to counter fire. It can often become frustrating just dealing damage to cruisers and battleships and leaves you wanting more. Yes, you can have games with 120-150k damage as a speed tank, but you can also have these kind of games without sacrificing your role.
3.) Not tanky enough: Many people believe that this is the hardest ship to hit in the game. While this is true to a certain extent, this is not %100 accurate. Do not forget that this is a very large destroyer and the closer you get to the enemy, becomes vastly easier for them to hit you. I would say the golden range for tanking gunfire is 12.5-13.5Km. At this range, many people will not even target you, giving you time to do your thing. If you find a ship other than a destroyer inside this range, you will be taking massive damage. Speed tanking gives you no room for error. You are constantly lit up on the map. Your position is constantly uploaded to the enemy. Because, you should be firing your guns most of the time. Even within the golden range, this is a Tier X match and many people are very good at the game and aim very well. Don't be surprised if one salvo takes half of your HP from 13km.
4.) Needs Signals: Typically, speed tank gunboats have a constant need for signals like Sierra Mike, Juliet Charlie, India Delta, India X-Ray, Victor Lima and so on. Below I will show you how to build the Khab and not have a dire need for any of these.

Onward:
Building the Khab: Now that I have told you what I don't recommend, let me share my secrets =]
Commander Skills: 18 total (points)
- (1) Priority Target: Protecting your HP should be a huge priority. This skill lets you see how many ships are targeting you, giving you a leg up on what to do next. This can mean life and death.
- (1) Preventative Maintenance: We talked about roles and jobs a little bit. Think of this skill as a -%30 chance of your job becoming incapacitated. So this is huge.
- (2) Last Stand: Humans are not perfect. Crap happens. You need this skill.
- (3) Demolition Expert: More fire % means more damage = more stars = more creds etc. Use this skill to enhance what the Khab is good at.
- (3) Vigilance: In tier X fights, torps are everywhere. Don't let one lucky torp ruin your match. As a large destroyer, this is a no brainer.
- (4) Advanced Firing Training: As a Khab you don't have great torps. But the guns are very good. Help your Demolition Expert and superior guns by getting this skill.
- (4) Concealment Expert: The Khab has very bad concealment and any help in this category is greatly needed.

Consumables and Upgrades:
- Smoke Generator: Use to hide yourself and rain down shells on the enemy team while undetected. Used to capture nodes and provide cover for allies. Used to hide yourself in bad situations like getting out-numbered or bombed from aircraft.
- Main Armament Modification 1: You do not want to waste repair unless you are flooding or on fire. This upgrade helps make that happen.
- Propulsion Modification 1: Protect your amazing speed by having an ace in your pocket.
- Aiming System Modification 1: Take this upgrade for the -7% dispersion to help your shells and torp ambush accuracy.
- Steering Gear Modification 2: Helps agility and evade gunfire since we cannot take Steering Mod 3
- Concealment System Modification 1: Absolutely must have upgrade. There is no getting around this. We need more concealment and it is right here. The +5% dispersion is nice and welcome on all destroyers.
- Main Battery Modification 3: This is a no brainer. She is a gunboat.

Usage:
As you can see, what we have here is a very sneaky Khab, that is still able to dish out the pain. Having good concealment is huge. Not only will it protect you from the enemy but it will allow you to "go dark" more efficiently when you decide to stop shooting. This can also mean life and death. She is now much more capable of capturing nodes but still should be used in a support style role, following other destroyers when the opportunity allows. The kind of enjoyment you will get when you melt other destroyers will be awesome. It will almost be paralleled by the excitement you get when you rain down fire on your enemy from 10km away in smoke. She is a very dangerous destroyer now and with better concealment goes pretty much wherever she wants, allowing for a more successful torp ambush. And best of all...your teammates will not flame you.

I hope you have enjoyed my guide on this awesome little ship!
Take care, thanks for reading!:cap_rambo:
Edited by Rannith
spelling
  • Bad 1

Members
161 posts
9,173 battles

"Generally the role of this ship is no different than any other destroyer. Your job is to spot the enemy force, capture nodes, and provide support by lighting fires, and using torps."

I very much disagree. The Khab is a light cruiser. Its job is to support other DDs with its guns to bully them out of caps when spotted and then tax the damage con of CAs and BBs. It can cap and spot late game, but not early. It can also use its speed and heal to take well over 1M potential damage. 

Trying to cap is just way to risky when other DDs out spot you by so much. 

I average over 90K in mine with a 61 per cent win rate. 5bad3366b5b6b_Khabsnip.thumb.PNG.2c9e5b538bf037038cf4899cb909532c.PNG

• Cool 1

[OKZZ]
Members
119 posts
2,429 battles
1 minute ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

"Generally the role of this ship is no different than any other destroyer. Your job is to spot the enemy force, capture nodes, and provide support by lighting fires, and using torps."

I very much disagree. The Khab is a light cruiser. Its job is to support other DDs with its guns to bully them out of caps when spotted and then tax the damage con of CAs and BBs. It can cap and spot late game, but not early. It can also use its speed and heal to take well over 1M potential damage. 

Trying to cap is just way to risky when other DDs out spot you by so much. 

Many times you will be the only destroyer. You are correct about pressuring other destroyers, but in my opinion that comes as a side option when it presents itself. When there are no other ships to cap the node, you are putting extreme pressure on the rest of the team by not capping. With the superior speed, even if you do get spotted you will able to get yourself out of a bad situation quickly.

Members
161 posts
9,173 battles
1 minute ago, Rannith said:

Many times you will be the only destroyer. You are correct about pressuring other destroyers, but in my opinion that comes as a side option when it presents itself. When there are no other ships to cap the node, you are putting extreme pressure on the rest of the team by not capping. With the superior speed, even if you do get spotted you will able to get yourself out of a bad situation quickly.

If there is no other DD, sure, cap. But in most games, there will be multiple DDs on each team. Early game capping is just too risky. 

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
43 minutes ago, Rannith said:

About Me:
I usually play Russian destroyer with the occasional Russian cruiser game from time to time. I have over 350 pvp battles, I average 1160 XP per game, with a destruction ratio of 1.6, and average about 53k damage in my X Khab. I have built this ship and her commander in many different ways and I would like to share with you guys what is working for me and what is not.

Intro:
Let us first understand that every pvp match is different. It is impossible to build a ship for every scenario you face in game. At some point in a game, you may need to do something that is outside the strength of the ship. Like capturing nodes in a battleship. It doesn't happen often but does happen. With that said, this guide is help the Khabarovsk in many scenarios to do what she is designed to do as a destroyer, as well as having the offensive capabilities that is needed.

Role:
Generally the role of this ship is no different than any other destroyer. Your job is to spot the enemy force, capture nodes, and provide support by lighting fires, and using torps. Obviously she cannot stealth torp with 6km range. So they will need to be used in ambush situations. Her guns on the other hand, are very good. The size of this destroyer is very large and does not have the agility of other destroyers. The speed is there but the agility is not. She is one of the fastest destroyers in the game boasting superior armor for her class. For these reasons, many people ignore that she is a destroyer and build her up like a cruiser. They ignore concealment and go straight for damage and tanking the enemy rain with rudder shift upgrades, survivability perks, repair modules, and so on. From now on, I will refer this in the future as "Speed Tanking". You want to be able to at least compete at capturing nodes. Not neglecting your main role as a destroyer.

Why NOT to use Speed Tank:
There are many reason why not to use this role and I will list them here.
1.) It hurts the team as a whole : When you are speed tanking and constantly firing your guns, you are typically not doing this while capturing nodes. If you are doing this while capturing, you will be very close to the enemy team and be an easy target. Most Khabs that speed tank stay outside the nodes neglecting them all together until they feel like they want to move in. This puts the trailing cruisers and battleships in a state of limbo about what to do next. This is when you can expect someone to start complaining.
I have had people tear me up in chat without me saying a word all because I did not cap a node. Most people don't care you have bad concealment, they will see you as a destroyer that is not doing their job. On a side note... because of all this, my Karma rating drastically goes up and down.
2.) RNG as a weapon: Yes, your main method of dealing damage "lighting fires" is a random chance(RNG). I have had games where I hit 300 times with HE and only set 4 fires. Combine this with the fact that people use damage control mods, captain skills, repair modules and even signals to counter fire. It can often become frustrating just dealing damage to cruisers and battleships and leaves you wanting more. Yes, you can have games with 120-150k damage as a speed tank, but you can also have these kind of games without sacrificing your role.
3.) Not tanky enough: Many people believe that this is the hardest ship to hit in the game. While this is true to a certain extent, this is not %100 accurate. Do not forget that this is a very large destroyer and the closer you get to the enemy, becomes vastly easier for them to hit you. I would say the golden range for tanking gunfire is 12.5-13.5Km. At this range, many people will not even target you, giving you time to do your thing. If you find a ship other than a destroyer inside this range, you will be taking massive damage. Speed tanking gives you no room for error. You are constantly lit up on the map. Your position is constantly uploaded to the enemy. Because, you should be firing your guns most of the time. Even within the golden range, this is a Tier X match and many people are very good at the game and aim very well. Don't be surprised if one salvo takes half of your HP from 13km.
4.) Needs Signals: Typically, speed tank gunboats have a constant need for signals like Sierra Mike, Juliet Charlie, India Delta, India X-Ray, Victor Lima and so on. Below I will show you how to build the Khab and not have a dire need for any of these.

Onward:
Building the Khab: Now that I have told you what I don't recommend, let me share my secrets =]
Commander Skills: 18 total (points)
- (1) Priority Target: Protecting your HP should be a huge priority. This skill lets you see how many ships are targeting you, giving you a leg up on what to do next. This can mean life and death.
- (1) Preventative Maintenance: We talked about roles and jobs a little bit. Think of this skill as a -%30 chance of your job becoming incapacitated. So this is huge.
- (2) Last Stand: Humans are not perfect. Crap happens. You need this skill.
- (3) Demolition Expert: More fire % means more damage = more stars = more creds etc. Use this skill to enhance what the Khab is good at.
- (3) Vigilance: In tier X fights, torps are everywhere. Don't let one lucky torp ruin your match. As a large destroyer, this is a no brainer.
- (4) Advanced Firing Training: As a Khab you don't have great torps. But the guns are very good. Help your Demolition Expert and superior guns by getting this skill.
- (4) Concealment Expert: The Khab has very bad concealment and any help in this category is greatly needed.

Consumables and Upgrades:
- Smoke Generator: Use to hide yourself and rain down shells on the enemy team while undetected. Used to capture nodes and provide cover for allies. Used to hide yourself in bad situations like getting out-numbered or bombed from aircraft.
- Main Armament Modification 1: You do not want to waste repair unless you are flooding or on fire. This upgrade helps make that happen.
- Propulsion Modification 1: Protect your amazing speed by having an ace in your pocket.
- Aiming System Modification 1: Take this upgrade for the -7% dispersion to help your shells be more accurate.
- Steering Gear Modification 2: Helps agility and evade gunfire since we cannot take Steering Mod 3
- Concealment System Modification 1: Absolutely must have upgrade. There is no getting around this. We need more concealment and it is right here.
- Main Battery Modification 3: This is a no brainer. She is a gunboat.

Usage:
As you can see, what we have here is a very sneaky Khab, that is still able to dish out the pain. Having good concealment is huge. Not only will it protect you from the enemy but it will allow you to "go dark" more efficiently when you decide to stop shooting. This can also mean life and death. She is now much more capable of capturing nodes but still should be used in a support style role, following other destroyers when the opportunity allows. The kind of enjoyment you will get when you melt other destroyers will be awesome. It will almost be paralleled by the excitement you get when you rain down fire on your enemy from 10km away in smoke. She is a very dangerous destroyer now and with better concealment goes pretty much wherever she wants, allowing for a more successful torp ambush. And best of all...your teammates will not flame you.

I hope you have enjoyed my guide on this awesome little ship!
Take care, thanks for reading!:cap_rambo:

Don't let the others posting here get you down. If you want to discuss how to use use a Khab as a destroyer, feel free to send me a message. I also use it primarily as a destroyer as well.

[OKZZ]
Members
119 posts
2,429 battles
Just now, Lightninger said:

Don't let the others posting here get you down. If you want to discuss how to use use a Khab as a destroyer, feel free to send me a message. I also use it primarily as a destroyer as well.

thanks! nah they don't bother me... I run as a speed tank for a while and this is by far what is working for me. I feel more useful to the team as well.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

I appreciate a Khab when its van guarding or following me in my YY. Its good for pushing out other DDs. Where the Khab is dead weight is when the enemy has 1-2 DDs left vs only the Khab, and the Khab can't cap at all. We had a Khab push a Groz out of the cap and then let me cap. But he never really was able to swing back into the cap. 

Sign in to follow this