Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
EmoryMoon

Icarus: Review and Discussion

10 comments in this topic

[-FH-]
Members
54 posts
707 battles

I've played two games in it, averaging 116k a game.  Both were tier 8 games.  So far, it passes the litmus test of viable.

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
17 minutes ago, Gin_Blossoms said:

I've played two games in it, averaging 116k a game.  Both were tier 8 games.  So far, it passes the litmus test of viable.

I can't say that I've done that well, but I've done  well enough.  The 7km torps, while short legged, are hard to detect and fairly hard hitting for tier 6.  I'm already fairly close to the amount of XP that will be required to research the Jervis (when the RN DD line is released).  I currently have a little over 58k XP on the Icarus, and tier 7 DDs require somewhere between 60-70k XP to research.

I haven't found her lack of a speed boost to be a big deal, given her excellent acceleration and conservation of speed during turns.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

Anyone also have one for if the T5 is even worth playing? 

Members
2,481 posts
2,334 battles

Its interesting how close it is stat wise to the Gallant, but plays differently thanks to a slower torp reload, different smoke, handling and built in propulsion mod. Least I don't think the Gallant retains it's speed on a turn. Very gunboat like to the Gallant's torpedo boat. 

[TNG-D]
[TNG-D]
Members
13 posts
377 battles
36 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Anyone also have one for if the T5 is even worth playing? 

Made a video on that one as well. Please take a look. 

• Cool 1

[TF77V]
[TF77V]
Members
37 posts
1,612 battles

I got the Acasta and Jervis through missions and I am about half way through the Icarus one. Earned enough sovereigns to also get the Warspite. So I went from not having any British ships to now almost having 4. I enjoy playing both the Acasta and Jervis, I read that the Icarus can only fire torps when spotted, is that true?

Edited by woody428

Beta Testers
1,299 posts
6,540 battles
17 minutes ago, woody428 said:

I got the Acasta and Jervis through missions and I am about half way through the Icarus one. Earned enough sovereigns to also get the Warspite. So I went from not having any British ships to now almost having 4. I enjoy playing both the Acasta and Jervis, I read that the Icarus can only fire torps when spotted, is that true?

Nah, Icarus has a 6km detection range with camo and CE, while her torps go 7km.  A 1km buffer is perfectly usable, but 7km range is a bit troublesome at times.

[TF77V]
[TF77V]
Members
37 posts
1,612 battles
2 hours ago, Kenjister said:

Nah, Icarus has a 6km detection range with camo and CE, while her torps go 7km.  A 1km buffer is perfectly usable, but 7km range is a bit troublesome at times.

Thank you for the information.

Members
1,457 posts
12,302 battles

Sorry, not impressed with Ick, don’t think it up tiers well, guns are meh, torps are meh, the “defensive” moniker only works in some battles.  For me not a game influencer, yes you can send a nice swarm of torps on someone coming blind around an island, but overall lack of straight speed and other offensive limitations do not make it a good ambush boat.  Think it is ok, not a trash boat, but not one I will keep after RN event over.  

Sign in to follow this