You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Th3KrimzonD3mon

For those with concerns about WGC

71 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,006 posts
7,530 battles

By now, the majority of us on the forums, and in the game, know about the WGC, and know that soon it'll be our only option for launching WoWs. There have been many concerns over the last year, and honestly they were justified. However, as of now, those concerns appear to have been addressed.

I've installed it, though like most of you, I didn't want to. As of right now, the open WGC client only drives my RAM usage up by .8%. I know many had complaints about excess RAM usage, but I just don't see it. iTunes uses more RAM sitting idle, far more, in the area of 14+% of the RAM, than WGC does. I've gone through all my services and processes, and can find nothing WGC is doing that it shouldn't be, and when it is shut down, it is really shut down, unlike in the past. None of my Internet Security has gone crazy due to the presence of WGC.

I understand, WG is a company from across the world, and perhaps for that reason, it's easier to find reasons to not trust them, especially given the way certain things have been handled, at times. However, in this one thing, at least, they appear to have finally gotten it mostly right. Mostly. The fact is, if you want to play, soon this is how it will have to be. I enjoy playing with many of you, and I really don't want you to bail on the game because of this, especially since your concerns have been addressed and fixed, as far as I can see, save one.

My one complaint is the same one I've had for a while, and WG, you really need to fix it: The inability to install WGC to the folder of our choice. Most gamers, heck, many people period, these days have multiple drives on their comps, and we sort things onto those drives. We have a system, and we don't like this being forced to put things where we don't want them. Personally, I want all my games and game related things on 1 of 3 drives, split by where the game comes from, and what kind of game it is. I do not, at any time, want them directly on my OS drive, I like my OS drive to be small for a reason.  More, if something goes wrong, it's less stuff to have to have fully backed up, it's usually the OS drive that fails, while the other drives remain intact. You've given me no other option, and I have to honestly say, WG, that it really gets under my skin. Maybe some have one drive, maybe some want everything on the OS drive, but at least give us the choice where to put things on our own computers. You own the game, WG, you do not own my computer. Telling me how to access the game, fine, that's your right, honestly, but you don't get to dictate how I use my actual computer. That is a deal breaker.

I'm not attacking WG in any way, I'm simply stating the facts. I feel I was as polite as I could be about how I feel. WGC, as a whole, doesn't have the issues it did, it functions as it should, and it isn't doing things it shouldn't anymore. WG isn't stealing our info, isn't breaking any laws, and isn't full of malware. In short, it works, and it's safe.

@Femennenly, @Radar_X, or @Gneisenau013 is there in fact a way, a downloadable client, to make this work? Because the client that's available on the website does't even have a prompt, it just installs itself, and boom, it's done. I'm stuck with it on my OS drive, and I do not want it there.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
353 posts
5,209 battles

I agree completely about it installing where we don't want it.  I have a drive specifically for the OS, and I try to avoid installing anything else to it if I can.  Having the WGC auto-install to that drive really isn't a good design, unless there's something going on with it needing specific files from the OS install and WG is trying to be hush-hush about it...

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
500 posts
3,672 battles

Been using WGC for a couple months with no observed issues.  I only us it for updates then close it out.  I start the game with a shortcut to the EXE file.  

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles
14 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

WGC client only drives my RAM usage up by .8%. I know many had complaints about excess RAM usage, but I just don't see it. iTunes uses more RAM sitting idle, far more, in the area of 14+% of the RAM, than WGC does. I've gone through all my services and processes, and can find nothing WGC is doing that it shouldn't be, and when it is shut down, it is really shut down, unlike in the past. None of my Internet Security has gone crazy due to the presence of WGC.

Did you check your GPU temperature,  when I shut the WGC off (You have to click the up arrow in the task bar to do so) my GPU temp goes down 7 degrees Celsius in about 2 minutes. Which is the only concern that I have about it.

I use this program to monitor the temp. http://www.softsea.com/download/GPU-Temp.html

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

I thought it was dumb af at first, but I've grown accustomed to it. It's new and different, which means bad

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,006 posts
7,530 battles
13 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Did you check your GPU temperature,  when I shut the WGC off (You have to click the up arrow in the task bar to do so) my GPU temp goes down 7 degrees Celsius in about 2 minutes. Which is the only concern that I have about it.

I use this program to monitor the temp. http://www.softsea.com/download/GPU-Temp.html

My CPU and GPU are both running as they should be, there was no change at all.

Alpha Tester
281 posts
6,540 battles

I can find no good answer as to why it has to keep running when I'm logged in and playing.

[ANZ4C]
Members
127 posts
4,037 battles

I don't know why you can't install it where you want it. I have it installed on D drive along with all other games.

installWGC.jpg.ab9884b6300f9651bfcc5ebe0c9968f6.jpg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,696 posts
9,112 battles
19 minutes ago, ol_Cajun said:

I can find no good answer as to why it has to keep running when I'm logged in and playing.

Most game launchers keep running but most also won't do stupid things like download a patch for something if a game, any game, from anyone is running.

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
353 posts
5,209 battles
19 minutes ago, BlindAF said:

I don't know why you can't install it where you want it. I have it installed on D drive along with all other games.

I just had to reinstall it recently, and at no point during the install process did it give an option to choose the install location.  I have four different drives, and it defaulted to the drive my OS is on just like the first time I installed it.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,738 posts
58 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

By now, the majority of us on the forums, and in the game, know about the WGC, and know that soon it'll be our only option for launching WoWs. There have been many concerns over the last year, and honestly they were justified. However, as of now, those concerns appear to have been addressed.

I've installed it, though like most of you, I didn't want to. As of right now, the open WGC client only drives my RAM usage up by .8%. I know many had complaints about excess RAM usage, but I just don't see it. iTunes uses more RAM sitting idle, far more, in the area of 14+% of the RAM, than WGC does. I've gone through all my services and processes, and can find nothing WGC is doing that it shouldn't be, and when it is shut down, it is really shut down, unlike in the past. None of my Internet Security has gone crazy due to the presence of WGC.

I understand, WG is a company from across the world, and perhaps for that reason, it's easier to find reasons to not trust them, especially given the way certain things have been handled, at times. However, in this one thing, at least, they appear to have finally gotten it mostly right. Mostly. The fact is, if you want to play, soon this is how it will have to be. I enjoy playing with many of you, and I really don't want you to bail on the game because of this, especially since your concerns have been addressed and fixed, as far as I can see, save one.

My one complaint is the same one I've had for a while, and WG, you really need to fix it: The inability to install WGC to the folder of our choice. Most gamers, heck, many people period, these days have multiple drives on their comps, and we sort things onto those drives. We have a system, and we don't like this being forced to put things where we don't want them. Personally, I want all my games and game related things on 1 of 3 drives, split by where the game comes from, and what kind of game it is. I do not, at any time, want them directly on my OS drive, I like my OS drive to be small for a reason.  More, if something goes wrong, it's less stuff to have to have fully backed up, it's usually the OS drive that fails, while the other drives remain intact. You've given me no other option, and I have to honestly say, WG, that it really gets under my skin. Maybe some have one drive, maybe some want everything on the OS drive, but at least give us the choice where to put things on our own computers. You own the game, WG, you do not own my computer. Telling me how to access the game, fine, that's your right, honestly, but you don't get to dictate how I use my actual computer. That is a deal breaker.

I'm not attacking WG in any way, I'm simply stating the facts. I feel I was as polite as I could be about how I feel. WGC, as a whole, doesn't have the issues it did, it functions as it should, and it isn't doing things it shouldn't anymore. WG isn't stealing our info, isn't breaking any laws, and isn't full of malware. In short, it works, and it's safe.

@Femennenly, @Radar_X, or @Gneisenau013 is there in fact a way, a downloadable client, to make this work? Because the client that's available on the website does't even have a prompt, it just installs itself, and boom, it's done. I'm stuck with it on my OS drive, and I do not want it there.

I hear you, had the same argument with Microsoft who installs Office 365 to the OS drive with no choice.

It's been a thing for 18 months and is not a WG thing by any measure. 

Still s*cks

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,696 posts
9,112 battles
2 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I hear you, had the same argument with Microsoft who installs Office 365 to the OS drive with no choice.

It's been a thing for 18 months and is not a WG thing by any measure. 

Still s*cks

I will one up, if you install/update Flash, McAfee is installed automatically, there is no check box to opt out. :Smile_amazed: Flash has been removed from my computer because of that.

Members
1,857 posts
829 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

I will one up, if you install/update Flash, McAfee is installed automatically, there is no check box to opt out. :Smile_amazed: Flash has been removed from my computer because of that.

Same.

Members
4,840 posts
5,599 battles

This is precisely why I'm just going to let my launcher 'transform' into the WGC when it finally goes live for everyone. My game is already installed in the games folder. Hopefully when the launcher transforms, it leaves all the files where they are and just installs a new launcher in the same folder, and not in the /programdata folder like what was being reported a few months ago when WG announced the old launcher would be phased out.

Members
730 posts

as I install nothing other than the OS on my C: drive, everything else gets installed on one of my other drives/partitions, of which there are 10 on my PC in addition to C: and my DVD drive.

so if WGC cannot manage to allow me to install on the drive/partition I dictate then I will be expecting to continue the launcher I currently use purely for updating the game until such time as the fix WGC to allow me to set the install location. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,696 posts
9,112 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Same.

Actually it still exists through Chrome so if I do run into some content and not advertising I will still be able to view it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,006 posts
7,530 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Flash is pretty much dead, anyway.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,006 posts
7,530 battles
42 minutes ago, ol_Cajun said:

It doesn't have to, actually. However, for those that Steam or Origin, having that client running while you play has always been the way it is. Having WGC running is no different. At leats with WGC, you can shut it off while in game, you can't do that with the other companies clients.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,696 posts
9,112 battles
1 minute ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Flash is pretty much dead, anyway.

Yeah, and as I mentioned Chrome has it built in so if you do run into something you want to see that needs it you are not dead in the water.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,006 posts
7,530 battles
40 minutes ago, BlindAF said:

As I stated, it doesn't give the option, it just installs itself to the OS drive.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,006 posts
7,530 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

Yeah, and as I mentioned Chrome has it built in so if you do run into something you want to see that needs it you are not dead in the water.

Chrome's moving away from it, too. There are simply better options for it, plus most services use their own forms of it, now.

Members
1,857 posts
829 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Actually it still exists through Chrome so if I do run into some content and not advertising I will still be able to view it.

I haven't used flash in a while, but when one of my kids needed (wanted) flash for something, it dumped Mcafee on there, when I already had AV software installed.

That was a mess I had to brute force (pc wise) to get rid of.

After I was done (and in a foul mood), my kid said

"Dad, I don't really need flash."

I came close to handling that as an adult.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,482 battles

Step 1: install the game. Let it go wherever it wants to go. Doesn't matter.

Step 2: Copy the installation to wherever you actually want it to be.

Step 3: Click on the "all games" tab.

Step 4: Click on "import installed games" and point to the copied location.

Step 5: Uninstall the original location.

that said, if you alread yhave the game installed, the update that forces you to use WGC will not move it on you. It's still on my D drive where I want it to be.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,770 posts
4,582 battles
55 minutes ago, BlindAF said:

For how long have you installed it?

I have mine at D drive too, but as a Planes player I had it installed for really long...