Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Is Montana a must have?

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,697 posts
7,234 battles

Have all BBs except Montana, prefer Yamato with legendary upgrade and Republique without one.  Conqueror works well, but has unique play style that often goes contrary with the things I like to do in BBs, particularly soaking damage in mid range while dealing primarily AP damage back.  GK does shine in close range, but close range is very costly in current meta, with gems like Worcester and Harugumo in addition to the usual HE and torp spam you have to deal with on the front line, all that makes me feel like giant German Piñata.  Having said that GK does seem to get a new lease on life in the arms race, where people like to get in close.  Does Montana bring something interesting into the mix?

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,083 battles

Montana is about as generalist as you can get in a BB - it shines against DDs and broadside CA/CL due to the 12-gun volley and dispersion advantage over the GK/Conq, is more forgiving than a Yamato (but less so than a Republique, Conq or GK) when caught broadside at close range and has enough 38mm plating to give some resistance to CA HE. 

The issue is that it is pretty easy to counterplay against one - angle properly and the Montana loses a lot of utility due to the inability to overmatch 30mm plating (let alone 32mm) and at extreme close range it is easily citadeled while the GK, Repub (to some degree) and Conqueror are largely immune. 

I honestly don't like it anymore - I prefer the more specialized ships. 

Members
326 posts
31 battles

The Monty is my favorite Battleship and I have them all. She doesn't do one thing better than everyone else, other than AA but she is just solid. Guns are good at all ranges, I have citadeled a GK from 23km with plunging fire and I have deleted a full health Yamato with a 7 citadel monster shot at 7k away. 

[HELLS]
Members
1,704 posts
15,623 battles

Mine is configured for stealth and secondaries (9.3 km with the captain skills and flags-not quite Massachusetts territory but close)as insurance against DDs. She is absolutely deadly at mid-range against cruisers. You have to be careful with angling correctly and show as little broadside as possible while using all 12 barrels. I am keeping mine.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,780 posts
6,788 battles

Must have for what? Fun factor? Unique gameplay? Clan wars? :)

Members
612 posts
4,907 battles

Montana’s strength in my opinion is that she can deal with almost any situation in game. She can tank she can delet long range targets and in a pinch she can brawl a bit. Great ship I think you would like her. 

Members
1,697 posts
7,234 battles
17 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Must have for what? Fun factor? Unique gameplay? Clan wars? :)

An excellent question!  I predominantly play solo in randoms and (lately) arms race.  On weekends I like to division with my RL friend who prefers to play T10 cruisers, his favorites are Hindenburg and Worcester, but he has most others as well.  Our division composition usually looks like Yamato/Hindenburg or Republique/Worcester, with few other possible combinations.  Primary motivating factor is fun, hence preference for Yamato and Republique, for their ability to deliver accurate punishing strikes and bring big numbers home.  I have the other BBs just rusting in port, and I would hate to spend time effort just to add Montana to that list of anchored port queens.

Members
352 posts
1,803 battles

Montana's main battery excels at striking broadside targets, but she tends to struggle when it comes to damaging angled or bow-on opponents. Consequently, to get the most out of the Montana you'll have to actively maneuver her into positions that give you broadside shot opportunities. In Randoms this is not as much of an issue as players tend to be more careless in showing you broadside, but in an environment such as Ranked, especially at the tougher brackets, effective maneuvering and active positioning is key. While Montana's citadel isn't as high as Yamato's, it's still perfectly possible to take off huge chunks of health or on occasion outright devastate her, so you'll need to exercise good judgment and timing when turning to show your broadside.

Montana is frequently described as a jack-of-all-trades ship when it comes to surface combat, so you'll have to see if that appeals to you. Even after some 150+ matches in her, there are still areas for improvement.

Edited by icyplanetnhc

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

Have all the tier 10 BBs, Montana is my least played, not because it is bad, just because others are much more fun.  So for me a nice to have not a “got” to have 

Sign in to follow this