You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Had an Excellent Game, bought Republique - wth??

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles

So last night I had a fantastic game with my Alsace.  235k damage, 7 kills.  A slew of awards.  (Almost got an 8th but ran out of time grrr).

As a reward to myself I free xp'ed the rest of the way to Republique.

Only played a couple games in it, but wth?  Not's not fast or nimble like the rest of the French BBs.  If I wanted Yamato I would have gotten it.  Thinking about selling it and going back down to Alsace.   Am I missing something?

[DAY]
Members
1,179 posts
11,734 battles

it is fast

it is nimble

are you sailing a different republic than mine?

• Funny 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles
2 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Am I missing something?

If you were wanting a buffed alsace, wait for borgogne. Republique is lovely at tier 10, but it's different than alsace. Use and abuse that 20 second reload, and use the speed to get good positions and flanks.

It's a great ship. Maybe not OP like alsace, but really fun

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,381 battles

The Alsace is such a great ship.  Why would you free XP past it?  Enjoy the ride in a great ship.

The Republique is a good ship.  It is very nimble for a T10 and the gun reload is excellent.  

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,399 battles

you will love bourbogne if she comes.

[SYJ]
Members
37 posts
5,638 battles

Add the super engine boost module and you are faster longer.  It's more like a battle cruiser.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,111 posts
6,750 battles

What modules did you equip?

I feel like Repub is more nimble/fast than the Alsace. So... I'm confused.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles
8 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

So last night I had a fantastic game with my Alsace.  235k damage, 7 kills.  A slew of awards.  (Almost got an 8th but ran out of time grrr).

Only played a couple games in it, but wth?  Not's not fast or nimble like the rest of the French BBs.  If I wanted Yamato I would have gotten it.  Thinking about selling it and going back down to Alsace.   Am I missing something?

Unfamiliarity does that to you. You trade up into what ought to be bigger and better, you take it into battle, and... you suck.

Sometimes this is matchmaking becoming more harsh for a not-that-big shift in capabilities (e.g. Danae to Emerald, Fiji to Edinburgh, Konigsberg to Nurnberg), but that doesn't count here. I'm going with unfamiliarity.

I will be interested to see what happens to me when I finally trade up from my shiny new Neptune to the Minotaur. I sucked in Minotaur in Space Battles (though that's probably me), but everywhere else except in US cruisers I haven't even ground to Tier VIII yet, so she will be my first Tier X.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles
13 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

What modules did you equip?

I feel like Repub is more nimble/fast than the Alsace. So... I'm confused.

I took the rudder shift, as I do on all my battleships.  It just felt sluggish for some reason.

It was late at night and a bad game.  I'll play it a while yet before I give up on it.  Maybe it will grow on me.

[WOLF2]
Members
92 posts
10,161 battles

Give it time.  Its now my favorite T10 BB and I loved the GK and Yamato.  Still do, but not as much.....

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles
14 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I took the rudder shift, as I do on all my battleships.  It just felt sluggish for some reason

Damage con 2 is probably a much better choice. Full 60 second fires are killers

Edit: that probably goes for any bb

Edited by _1204_
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,101 posts
12,663 battles

Republique is a very good ship, but it's also super different from the rest of the French BB line. Everything up through T9 is "lots of small guns", and suddenly the Tier X has bigger guns than anything besides Yamato (and fewer barrels than Yamato as well).

If they could go back in time, it would have made more sense for Bourgogne to be the tech tree Tier X and Republique to be a premium/reward/whatever ship.

• Cool 1

[ONAVY]
Members
772 posts
6,307 battles
47 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I thought the same thing I may go back to the Alsace as well...your not Krazy...well maybe but I don't know that.

• Cool 1

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,226 posts
10,507 battles
49 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Sell a ship for half what you paid for it?  Yeah, I'd say you're missing something.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles
22 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Damage con 2 is probably a much better choice. Full 60 second fires are killers

Edit: that probably goes for any bb

I like to brawl with my battleships.   To brawl you need to be maneuverable.  It will save you a lot more than shaving a little time off your fires.  Usually I'm able to extinguish fires fairly quickly with High Alert.  Plus there are signals and such.  

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles
8 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Sell a ship for half what you paid for it?  Yeah, I'd say you're missing something.

Couldn't care less about the credits.  After buying Republique, I still have 200 million that I'm sitting on.  It grows daily, and I run every premium consumable on every ship.

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,326 battles
39 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I took the rudder shift, as I do on all my battleships.  It just felt sluggish for some reason.

It was late at night and a bad game.  I'll play it a while yet before I give up on it.  Maybe it will grow on me.

Republique is very good, but maybe not to everyone’s tastes.  I suggest playing a different line for a while as a palette-cleanser and then going Republique again.

Quite a few of us consider it the most comfortable T10 BB.

Edited by SmokeHenge

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles
5 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I like to brawl with my battleships.   To brawl you need to be maneuverable.  It will save you a lot more than shaving a little time off your fires.  Usually I'm able to extinguish fires fairly quickly with High Alert.  Plus there are signals and such.  

You need hitpoints to brawl too... I mean to each their own. Its not like rudder shift is a bad thing. Now if your not using bos and/or flags, that's a different story. 60 second fires at high tier is not worth any possible trade off

[MEIST]
Members
871 posts
3,059 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

On the Wiki the difference in speed is Alsace 32 knots and Republique is 30 knots.