Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SavageTactical

Hold Coal for Alaska or get Salem(& SC) now

21 comments in this topic

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles

I’m debating whether it’s worth it to get another super container (by getting Salem before the 28th) or hold onto my coal in case Alaska is a coal ship. I’m sure Alaska will probably be a FXP ship, but I’d hate have to build up all that coal again if WG pulls a fast one on us. I will get both, but Alaska is the priority. In case I missed it, any official word on whether she will go for FXP or Coal?

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

No word on currency, same with Jean bart and borgogne. 

Before you buy Salem, I'd triple check that you get a SC. It might only be tech tree ships

Beta Testers
1,332 posts
3,591 battles

Man, just get the Kronsdat why to wait on something that will not be released until Christmas or even later.  I am sure at this point having played Kronsdat that it is a decent ship one just has to practice to get used to it. Getting Salem would be a waste as something better could come along like Bourgogne which is in testing or even better Kronsdat goes for Coal when Alaska getsreleased like Musashi did when Kronsdat was introduced. WIth wargaming, it is hard to tell what they will do Salem has been regarded as a poor ship for its cost. 

7 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

I’m debating whether it’s worth it to get another super container (by getting Salem before the 28th) or hold onto my coal in case Alaska is a coal ship. I’m sure Alaska will probably be a FXP ship, but I’d hate have to build up all that coal again if WG pulls a fast one on us. I will get both, but Alaska is the priority. In case I missed it, any official word on whether she will go for FXP or Coal?

[RKLES]
Members
7,234 posts
9,035 battles

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I think if you take X ships out until the 28th you can get a Super Container. So if you could actually get Salem today and play a battle it would mean another Super Container. something to consider to be sure.

Meanwhile Alaska only possibly could be Coal, very easily could be Steel, or Free XP.

[ENDVR]
Members
431 posts
5,346 battles

I’m holding my 750k FXP and 130k coal and coupon.  But I already have DM and just getting the SC and a premium I won’t use isnt worth worrying about grind time, for me.

Grammar there sounds strange, too busy to untangle it though.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,007 posts
4,451 battles

i'm holding my pitiful ammount of coal to get some fancy tier9 ,tiwer10 ship. musashi looks boring.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,397 posts
13,124 battles
19 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Yeah, I was the same but then I realized …  if I'm going to get it anyway, why not now?

Worry about the future in the future:)

14 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Before you buy Salem, I'd triple check that you get a SC. 

Yes, one battle and you get the SC … in my case it was 1k Db

[SF-3]
Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles

Up to you, Salem doesn't seem like a good ship from what I have seen. Then you spend all that coal for a dice roll and a meh bote, no thanks.

• Cool 1

[-WPG-]
Members
821 posts
3,401 battles

I think the Salem would be a good captain trainer for both the CA and CL lines, even if IFHE would be wasted on the Salem. You already have the DM, as do I, and you're almost to the Worcester.  

I don't see a point in getting the Salem if already have the US T10 cruisers. The heal doesn't seem worth it for the reduced radar range, and I don't see myself playing the Salem that often if I had it. 

For a similar reason, I'm not that interested in the Alaska. I'm interested in premiums right now primarily as captain trainers, and both my US cruiser captains are 19 points already. I'm going to get the Musashi from the Arsenal once I get Yamamoto since I'm grinding to the Zao, and haven't even started the IJN BBs.  Going to wait and see how the Bourgogne is offered.  If it's doubloons or copper, I might get the Kronshtadt but frankly I'm not that interested in it either.  I wish there was a free XP KM ship. 

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

I broke down and got the Salem and SC, was going to hold on to the coal but unknowns on future ships and timing, plus I can share my DM captain, made me pull the trigger.  SC ended up being the captain experience dragon flags ( which are useful), so nice bonus.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,007 posts
4,451 battles
10 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I think the Salem would be a good captain trainer for both the CA and CL lines, even if IFHE would be wasted on the Salem. You already have the DM, as do I, and you're almost to the Worcester.  

I don't see a point in getting the Salem if already have the US T10 cruisers. The heal doesn't seem worth it for the reduced radar range, and I don't see myself playing the Salem that often if I had it. 

For a similar reason, I'm not that interested in the Alaska. I'm interested in premiums right now primarily as captain trainers, and both my US cruiser captains are 19 points already. I'm going to get the Musashi from the Arsenal once I get Yamamoto since I'm grinding to the Zao, and haven't even started the IJN BBs.  Going to wait and see how the Bourgogne is offered.  If it's doubloons or copper, I might get the Kronshtadt but frankly I'm not that interested in it either.  I wish there was a free XP KM ship. 

a free exp KM ship?what ship would fit the tier9?what about tier7 like nelsol?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles

Alaska is rumored to be sold for free XP, not coal.

And I'd pick her over Salem any day of the week. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,397 posts
13,124 battles
24 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

Up to you, Salem doesn't seem like a good ship from what I have seen. Then you spend all that coal for a dice roll and a meh bote, no thanks.

I know, but I thought premium to premium I may as well get the T10 first, saving my free xp for Alaska if in fact it ends up being a free xp ship 

Also on coupons. you get another ship coupon in December and I'd rather use the coupon while I have it

The other French ships aren't really a priority for me 

Edited by Commander_367

Alpha Tester
1,969 posts
17 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

I broke down and got the Salem and SC, was going to hold on to the coal but unknowns on future ships and timing, plus I can share my DM captain, made me pull the trigger.  SC ended up being the captain experience dragon flags ( which are useful), so nice bonus.

Not a bad choice IMO. There's always next year if you are still playing WoWS to get more SCs with T10 ships (unless WG alters the next anniversary special). Just don't expect a premium ship to drop from a SC.

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles

I'd wait until they announce how the Alaska will be purchasable.  I don't think a single super container is worth enough to influence your devision one way or the other.  

10 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Alaska is rumored to be sold for free XP, not coal.

Some ships, like the Musashi, are available for Fee XP and coal, so it's possible the Alaska will as well.

[LOU1]
Members
3,072 posts
8,161 battles
47 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

No word on currency, same with Jean bart and borgogne. 

Before you buy Salem, I'd triple check that you get a SC. It might only be tech tree ships

I received an SC for my Salem.  I had to make the same decision as the OP, but it was in terms of Musashi.  I went ahead and got the Salem.  My thoughts are that it will be a while before Alaska comes out and that there will be chances to get additional coal during the Halloween activities.  I like the Salem because it fits my aggressive tendencies better than the Des Moines.  It lets me get away with being in the open more often. I find I can afford to force a 1v1 and survive more often.  It all depends on your playstyle.  The free permanent camo and reduced service costs also play a factor in my choice and use of the ship; it is difficult not to make aprofit in Salem whether it is Random, Co-Op, or Arms Race.

• Cool 1

[A_51]
Members
283 posts
13,136 battles

Based on reviews I've read and watched, the Salem holds no interest for me.  I'm saving my coal to see what new ships become available.  If nothing interesting turns up, I'll use the coal for other things.

[-WPG-]
Members
821 posts
3,401 battles
27 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

a free exp KM ship?what ship would fit the tier9?what about tier7 like nelsol?

Project O should fit into T9, maybe 3x3 instead of the planned 3x2.

Members
554 posts
2,982 battles

Im pretty certain Alaska and Jean Bart will both be free XP botes. Borg-One will be the only one initially added to arsenal.

Yes Musashi is in both and im sure other boats will follow once they become irrelevant/ignored enough.

WG knows people are banking coal and steel. Why lose revenue and ignore the fact that plenty of people will convert XP to get the new ships. Coal, on the other hand, is largely free.

Edited by ksix

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,024 posts
1,430 battles
On 9/27/2018 at 10:35 AM, Cruxdei said:

i'm holding my pitiful ammount of coal to get some fancy tier9 ,tiwer10 ship. musashi looks boring.

actually, it's rather fun. Very slow and slow firing, but when stupid DD's get too close...your 2ndaries blast the ph*k out of them. 

Sign in to follow this