You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stimulus

Thoughts on new DD soft cap?

15 comments in this topic

[OBS]
Beta Testers
18 posts
2,253 battles

Just curious what everyone's experience has been so far.  I'm grinding several tier 6 ships right now for lines I never played and nearly every game has 5 DDs per team. 

[SDIWO]
Members
1,032 posts
5,292 battles

They changed something? Doesn't seem all that different than before except there are a lot of people playing DDs now with the British line coming out. As far as the gameplay with 5 DDs on each team....again doesn't seem all that different. If anything I'd say teams are being a little more aggressive, at least when their DDs are aggressive.

I'd say that having fewer DDs on the table makes captains more cautious as they don't know where that pesky invisible f'er is and are worried he's out there stalking them, whereas when there are 5 on the table you know they're everywhere so just play.

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

Makes it a bit trickier to work my IJN mid tier grind, particularly early game. However, as long as MM throws in some interesting variety for the other 7 ships it’s no worse than the BB heavy norm...and when it is BB and DD heavy, I just sort of laugh.

Still, DD rich matches seem ideal for the new RN ships, so there’s that. They don’t interest me much, but perhaps I’ll dedicate to them in lieu of the Pan Asian...

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
10,253 battles

Play a DD in arms race.... 5 DDs a side

Play a BB in Arms race.... 2 DDs a side

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
792 posts

Saw a record six DD's on each side yesterday....  What a zoo !  No one knew what to do when two idiot Cruisers lit off their radar in the same cap and there was nothing but a huge smoke screen filled with 10 ships all danger close !!!

God, I wish I had that video..............it was an epic "Ah Ha!" western at noon duel with everyone shooting everything at anyone that moved............the cruisers didn't whom to shoot first !!!  The BB's had as much blue damage as red damage everyone was so close !!!  What a hoot!

Members
460 posts
12,402 battles

With a new DD line coming out it’s not a shock. Look at all the U.S. cruisers we’ve had for the last couple of months. 

I don’t have an issue with the soft cap, but 5 DD games haven’t been all that common. When the U.S. cruisers came out we were getting mostly 1-2 or 0 DD games.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

I've noticed 5 destroyers a side quite a few times per day. Perhap 30 to 40 percent of the matches. But I feel it's because of all the spotting and spotting damage missions in the royal navy event. Plus the missions requiring RN DD. 

I thought I read where they are going to soft cap the new Ranked Sprint mode in the upcomming patch to 4 DD and 4 BB per match. 

Members
1,835 posts
17,651 battles
1 hour ago, Stimulus said:

Just curious what everyone's experience has been so far.  I'm grinding several tier 6 ships right now for lines I never played and nearly every game has 5 DDs per team. 

Just the night before last you couldn't find more than 2  DDs per team & quite often only 1 all night as people were trying to farm points for the Hall of Fame for the RN event & BBs are notorious for racking up the high damage games that give you those Confederates & High Caliber achievements...not to mention very few DDs can get you a Dreadnaught achievement.

But there was literally over a 3 hour period towards the end of the event where you never seen even 3 DD per team.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles
6 hours ago, RobertViktor68 said:

Play a DD in arms race.... 5 DDs a side

Play a BB in Arms race.... 2 DDs a side

It's like me:

Take out an AA Spec ship:  No Carriers.

Take out a bad AA ship like Tirpitz, Musashi:  CARRIERS!

Take out Des Moines:  No Carriers.

For the first time in weeks I play a DD:  OH LOOK A HAKURYU / TAIHO!

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

I think ppl don't like 5-6 DD games mostly cuz they're confusing. No one has any idea what's a priority target or how to play the game. As opposed to being unplayable. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles
6 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I think ppl don't like 5-6 DD games mostly cuz they're confusing. No one has any idea what's a priority target or how to play the game. As opposed to being unplayable. 

How do people screw it up?  Say I'm playing a BB.  I see a DD that a friendly ship spotted.  I shoot at it and hit it.  I profit mightily!  Just as long as I stay out of typical DD torpedo ranges in that match, I'm safe.  How do players screw that up :Smile_teethhappy:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,405 posts
3,875 battles

Just waiting for the BB soft cap that should've been implemented at the same time.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
117 posts
2,066 battles

I'm for no caps at all.  Let random battles be random.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles
37 minutes ago, Altwar said:

I'm for no caps at all.  Let random battles be random.

10 carriers and 2 DD or BBs. 

You're the BB :)

--

But I kind of agree. But the real 10vs10 BB games I saw. were... not good either. 

Edited by BlailBlerg