Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Life of Asashio...

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
358 posts
5,154 battles

Join the party of getting [insert favorite explitive] over for playing DD.

WG wants you to just shut up and play zero skill BBs like everyone else without a brain.

image.png.49df1e8b07594fc5d7886e8f459008d7.png

  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,039
Members
3,771 posts
13,992 battles
56 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

yep took 11k BB AP damage again. 

Huge BB shells are supposed to inflict a lot of damage to anything that they hit. Even DDs.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
358 posts
5,154 battles
Just now, ReddNekk said:

Huge BB shells are supposed to inflict a lot of damage to anything that they hit. Even DDs.

So you're cool with having 3% gun accuracy, 17x the servicing / research / purchase price of BBs, and getting completely deleted by CVs no matter what tier in the name of R E A L I S M?

If this stupid argument is the one that WG likes to abide by, it's no wonder this game is such a heaven for terrible BB players in extremely easy to play ship.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,039
Members
3,771 posts
13,992 battles
1 minute ago, The_Painted_Target said:

So you're cool with having 3% gun accuracy, 17x the servicing / research / purchase price of BBs, and getting completely deleted by CVs no matter what tier in the name of R E A L I S M?

If this stupid argument is the one that WG likes to abide by, it's no wonder this game is such a heaven for terrible BB players in extremely easy to play ship.

I got a news flash for you... I'm a Cruiser main who also drives DDs and rarely a BB anymore. To me BBs are something to earn the Arsonist achievement from.

It's not stupid that DDs should take damage from BBs. DDs are not exalted ships that should be immune from BB AP damage.  And... As I pointed out, BIG guns do BIG damage on anything that they hit. That's what they're supposed to do. That's why they're BIG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,902
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,837 posts
13,050 battles
1 hour ago, Finnkax said:

But is it fun or not? 

Why yes, it is.  It's not only a vacation from my main...the BB.  But it's a very "different" DD compared to DDs in general.  Different, in that it's a mind game DD.  And the main mind you're messing with is BB captains.  As I'm a BB main, I know the feeling.  I've learned some "tricks".  Some tactics.  Some strategies.   So...yeah...it's fun.  But in different kind of way.

Take the game above.  Didn't do much.  But I spent the greater part of the game playing mind games with the BBs, and a bit of DD screening in general.  And when the time was right...a cap.  Sometimes, one's value is just making the enemy play less efficiently.  We won that game by going up three caps to none...and then keeping them out of the caps...and the score ticked along.  My role was keeping their BBs back.  One did move forward, be he got deleted...my two tops plus concentrated fire from the team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
719 posts
13 battles
1 hour ago, Finnkax said:

But is it fun or not? 

Fun is subjective.

 

You may be surprised to hear this, but not all DD players enjoy gunboating at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,834 posts
17,617 battles
2 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Fun is subjective.

 

You may be surprised to hear this, but not all DD players enjoy gunboating at all.

I don't think a question about whether an Asashio was fun or not had anything to do w/gunboating as an Asashio is not intended to be a gun boat & the OPs response was that it was fun w/no mention of trying to use it as a gun boat but for it's intended purposes of scouting, spotting, capping & harassing BBs...although some gunning did occur it obviously wasn't the main use of it but was still considered fun none the less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,159
[SIM]
Members
2,525 posts
4,182 battles
6 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Join the party of getting [insert favorite explitive] over for playing DD.

WG wants you to just shut up and play zero skill BBs like everyone else without a brain.

image.png.49df1e8b07594fc5d7886e8f459008d7.png

Thank you, I was thirsty this morning and your tears are tart, but refreshing. 

I find Asashio to be a guilty pleasure. I greatly enjoy torpedo boating, and the Asashio is without peer in that regard against battleships. I will say however that getting gun kills against other DDs is almost more satisfying, just because the Asashio isn’t supposed to be any good at that sort of thing. I play mine like a traditional DD at first, capping and screening, then detach later on to start stalking BBs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
13,820 battles

I own Asashio and yes she is a fun boat to play, but last night I actually felt bad for an Asashio on the red team....I surprised him/her in my Akatsuki and the poor fellow didn't have a chance. It felt ......"dirty" .........killing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,615
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
7 hours ago, Finnkax said:

But is it fun or not? 

It can be. But you have to know how to use IJN DD guns well, how to push caps without using torpedoes, etc., or you'll be a huge detriment to your team most games, just another worthless DD ninja that slings torpedoes from behind his teammates -- except in this case these torps won't even accidentally hit a cruiser or a DD once in a while.

You have to gunboat in Asashio, period. I've had five games with her this far, and have more kills with guns than with torpedoes :) Thankfully gunnery skills from Shima carry over very naturally here. 

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
8 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Join the party of getting [insert favorite explitive] over for playing DD.

WG wants you to just shut up and play zero skill BBs like everyone else without a brain.

image.png.49df1e8b07594fc5d7886e8f459008d7.png

Wait a moment let me get this straight, you actually managed to get hit by 8 shells out of 9 possible from one of the biggest caliber guns in the game in one of the most maneuverable smallest ships at your tier, survived it, and you have the audacity to COMPLAIN about it?  Really? :cap_wander:

<Edit> If that player managed to land such salvo into you from 11.8km with those semi-floaty shells, either he is not zero skill player or you are.

Edited by Ramsalot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,902
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,837 posts
13,050 battles
8 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

And the main mind you're messing with is BB captains.  As I'm a BB main, I know the feeling.  I've learned some "tricks".  Some tactics.  Some strategies.   

At the risk of making my own BB experience more difficult, I'll throw out a few of the mind games.  One is the use of Priority Target against the captains.  Good BB captains learn to read the Priority Target queue.  They can tell when a DD is targeting them.  So, I'll run through all the BBs in view....lock 'em...wait the proverbial torp track/launch time...and move to the next.  I won't launch the torps.  Just watch how they react. 

A key to this is to remain hidden as long as reasonable.  Granted...sometimes I gotta cap...or screen enemy DDs...so it's not always an option.  But if possible, remaining hidden...BB captains don't know where you are...what direction the torps will come from.  Won't know if intervening terrain is protecting them...or if they are out of range.  Powerful mind games.

I was even complimented by a Red BB captain one game for "Keeping them on their toes the whole game".

Take them out of their comfort game.  Make them use part of their brain to worry about the torps.  Less comfort.  More worry.  Less effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
180
[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,263 battles
10 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Join the party of getting [insert favorite explitive] over for playing DD.

WG wants you to just shut up and play zero skill BBs like everyone else without a brain.

image.png.49df1e8b07594fc5d7886e8f459008d7.png

Normally I'm all for this. Buut..

Dude, you got slapped with 8 shells. Most of them most likely being over penned, you just got really unlucky with RNG if 8 out of 9 shells hit you in a single salvo....

Most of the time when i get mad is when a single Yamato shell pens me and does 4k or so damage. lol

Edited by Merlox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
400
[XBRTC]
Members
1,403 posts
7,411 battles
4 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Thank you, I was thirsty this morning and your tears are tart, but refreshing. 

I find Asashio to be a guilty pleasure. I greatly enjoy torpedo boating, and the Asashio is without peer in that regard against battleships. I will say however that getting gun kills against other DDs is almost more satisfying, just because the Asashio isn’t supposed to be any good at that sort of thing. I play mine like a traditional DD at first, capping and screening, then detach later on to start stalking BBs. 

 

 

There's one thing better than gunning down DDs with Asashio: gunning down cruisers with Asashio!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
358 posts
5,154 battles
9 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

Wait a moment let me get this straight, you actually managed to get hit by 8 shells out of 9 possible from one of the biggest caliber guns in the game in one of the most maneuverable smallest ships at your tier, survived it, and you have the audacity to COMPLAIN about it?  Really? :cap_wander:

<Edit> If that player managed to land such salvo into you from 11.8km with those semi-floaty shells, either he is not zero skill player or you are.

You know, after looking at the stats of this individual, I invite you to compare vs mine. Tell me who had the broken game mechanics benefiting them and who got shafted by horrible game design. This wasn't a good player, this was a trash player who got rewarded for playing a battleship.

image.thumb.png.ccea656c42335ffe4041d8890486da69.png

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×