You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IvanPonomarev

Premium Loot Box Transparency

25 comments in this topic

[MIA-A]
Members
344 posts
9,807 battles

So i have been thinking about the British DD lootboxes and how some people get all the missions and others get none of them let’s say within 20 containers Notser and Nozoup said similar things about loot box implementation. WG released the metrics on supercontainer drop Chance and the drop chance of certain items a while back. Why can’t they do the same for Premium loot containers and normal loot containers? I think transparency is warranted. Unless profit blinds us all.

• Funny 1

Members
432 posts
5,346 battles

Ironically, doing so would probably increase both sales and #rippedoff threads.  Human nature is a funny thing.

[PVE]
Members
5,700 posts
18,273 battles

I too would like to know the "odds" for the special items in the box (ie missions). The purposefully deceptive wording that Wargaming used describing the UK loot boxes pushed me over that hill. I think they used the words "certain probability of getting a mission", something along those lines. After that, I firmly believe they should be giving the odds, even if it requires legislation.  

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles

My only issue is that some missions require a tier 7 and the 250k credit mission in this weeks set pretty much requires the tier 8 with a well trained captain and you are at the mercy of RNGesus as to getting those ships. Actually I have another issue, why can't the missions be completed in Operations or Arms Race?

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,195 posts
18,949 battles

Don't care about the odds, it will still be RNG.

I got T5, T7 and T8 out of 10 container.

Another example:

I failed a 30% chance to improve my gear in Black Desert Online 15 times in a row, while I did the 20% and 17% chances for the next two level in three tries.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,837 posts
9,956 battles

i hate all the ppl with good RNG, j/k

i got 0% from the crate

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
580 posts
3,712 battles

Upfront pricing and full disclosure is never a bad business plan.  I agree, we should be made aware of our chances for extras in loot boxes.

• Funny 1

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
267 posts
3,519 battles

I was making an adjustment to my tinfoil hat and started thinking that maybe your chances could be increased by using premium time.:Smile_hiding:

I have won both the Acasta and Icarus without buying any crates but I do have prem time, So.......

[HINON]
Members
9,059 posts
4 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

My only issue is that some missions require a tier 7 and the 250k credit mission in this weeks set pretty much requires the tier 8 with a well trained captain and you are at the mercy of RNGesus as to getting those ships. Actually I have another issue, why can't the missions be completed in Operations or Arms Race?

I did the credit mission in coop  of all places with the gallant so it can be done. I do run premium time but I bet with the credit flags and camo it could be done in randoms with less modifiers. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles

I think it's simply absurd that people are paying money for crates to unlock something which will be free in three weeks anyway, and which is not essential to ultimate completion of the event. It makes a mockery of any discussion of odds on the matter.

I seem to have peaked early - I got Acasta and then Icarus on the Friday and Saturday after the event started, and nothing since then. As soon as the new patch drops I'm kicking my Weymouth out of port, hopping straight into the Medea at Tier II and grinding my way up through the line.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,700 posts
18,273 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think it's simply absurd that people are paying money for crates to unlock something which will be free in three weeks anyway, and which is not essential to ultimate completion of the event. It makes a mockery of any discussion of odds on the matter.

Well I think what people are looking to do is to "pay past" the lower tier UK DDs, or at least a chance to. You get a few goodies as well, the chance to skip all the way up to tier 7 is worth it to many people. Personally I bought some crates because I wanted more sovereigns to farm the rewards I wanted (Warspite, Gallant, & Dunkirk Captain) and figured I may be a few short. The idea that I could get a mission helped budge me a bit too. Add to that I wanted that sweet, sweet oil for getting our base built!

Honestly the grind from tier 2 up to tier 5 is not awful but many players have more money than time so throwing a bit of it at the grind isn't as totally absurd as it may seem to other people.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,478 posts
8,157 battles

Lets say for a second they do, and lets say that the drop rate in the premium boxes is 10%. That means 1 in 10 average would get you all 4 in 40 containers. So let's call our player "Johnny Moneybags". Johnny spends the money for 40, opens them all - gets none. Well, this irks him given by the odds, he should have all 4. So he buys 40 more, and same thing happens again. Well now he has hit a boiling point and drops for another 40, and gets 1. So, out of 120 crates, he got 1, below a 1% chance at those numbers. Now he's completely incensed at which he goes everywhere ranting and raging that Wargaming are con-artists and liars because he was super unlucky, while others got 4 containers and got the 4 ships. He paid all this money, blah, blah, blah. Which, given things like the recent troubles EA had with loot boxes - means perhaps more trouble for them, because this guy, and others, are angry that they have bad luck, and fell below the average because that happens. Some people get bad teams more than others, some get SC's more than other's, hell I personally at most got 2500 dubloons maybe in an SC, otherwise it was just 1000 a couple times, out of gaurenteed mission rewards, otherwise when I do get one it's usually flags I don't need more of, or back in the day the modules that I would simply sell cause don't use them - while some people get a SC at least once every 2 weeks and every 3rd one has a ship. And now they maybe have to end a revenue source, or risk not being able to have the game in the region at all, PR damage from it causes player loss and impacts new player gains. Because word of mouth has always been the most powerful marketing tool there is and now all of theirs is bad. Which longer terms cripples the game, much like 1.5 did to Warplanes, and effectively kills it. Because they said "you have a 10% chance" - and people did not get one every 10 containers. 

SC's are not something you buy, therefore, are in no way considered gambling, there's just a  chance at a great reward every so often, and frustrating as it may be, you likely lose nothing when you get one. You tell someone they have a 10% chance, which works out to 1 n 10, they are going to expect that they get one one in ten tries, and can stir up a storm if enough people feel they are robbed, and is now basically a question of "is it's gambling". 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,240 posts
14,670 battles

The sooner Loot / Lock Boxes and their ilk disappear from gaming, the better.  One of the worst things to happen to gaming since it arrived.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles
41 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Personally I bought some crates because I wanted more sovereigns to farm the rewards I wanted

It's all a matter of individual priorities. You had particular motives in particular directions, and it seems you fulfilled those first and accepted whatever else RNGesus chose to bless you with. I guess what gets on my goat is the thought that there are people out there who (potentially) end up tossing more money at unlock chances than they would have needed to convert the necessary free XP +/- doubloons-to-silver.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles
7 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Because they said "you have a 10% chance" - and people did not get one every 10 containers. 

This is because they either do not understand the nature of probability or were never taught it.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,478 posts
8,157 battles
23 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is because they either do not understand the nature of probability or were never taught it.

I'm aware of this, and it is an unfortunate truth. 

[HYDRA]
[HYDRA]
Members
54 posts
6,768 battles

2 hours ago, DarkStormy said:

I was making an adjustment to my tinfoil hat and started thinking that maybe your chances could be increased by using premium time.:Smile_hiding:

I have won both the Acasta and Icarus without buying any crates but I do have prem time, So.......

I have been running premium time and have about 30 days left on my account and have not bought any RN crates. I do have the Gallant that I use for some missions and have completed all of the directives, (accept the one that required a Tier 7or 8 RN DD), up to the one that dropped today and have not received any missions for RN DD's. So I am not sure the premium time theory is correct or bad RNG. Just another data point.

[EQRN]
Members
348 posts
8,991 battles

I have premium time and have received 0 ship missions.

I did get 268k in the Gallant in a co op game, with Gamescom and a couple credit flags, it was an ok game, not great - so that one is doable without the bonus ships.  

[PVE]
Members
9,946 posts
7,492 battles
6 hours ago, SmokeHenge said:

Ironically, doing so would probably increase both sales and #rippedoff threads.  Human nature is a funny thing.

True dat.

6 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I too would like to know the "odds" for the special items in the box (ie missions). The purposefully deceptive wording that Wargaming used describing the UK loot boxes pushed me over that hill. I think they used the words "certain probability of getting a mission", something along those lines. After that, I firmly believe they should be giving the odds, even if it requires legislation.  

7fJPL9R.jpg

6 hours ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

On one hand I am 100% in agreement the odds should be available for us to see.

On the other hand I doubt it would increase sales, the way these boxes are setup. Knowing you only have 1% on chance that you will be able to obtain a ship in a gamble box, that you will be later able to get for "free" (-time); would not incline me to spend anything.

People spend money on the Lottery and it has one chance in tens to hundreds of millions. I think knowing that there is a 1% chance would still get people to spend more money as they would think, I'll get that. It's human nature.

6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

I did the credit mission in coop  of all places with the gallant so it can be done. I do run premium time but I bet with the credit flags and camo it could be done in randoms with less modifiers. 

I do run premium time and put on the flags, but if you play PvP with the flags, I think it is very doable. Have premium time, flags and a good game in co-op and it's doable. I had some pretty poor games where I didn't do much damage, but got respectable credits in PvE. If I had only done a little better on the Acasta game.

SEKk9Zs.jpg

QpjVOZa.jpg

And a really bad Cossack game in PvE where I got it done.  vv

WViQpHh.jpg

nP8p8Ji.jpg

This was a T-61 game where I had flags for XP and did really well and got 250k credits in co-op. It is doable, but much, much easier in PvP. BTW, 16.6k Cmdr XP in this game in co-op.

YXW492S.jpg

[SBS]
Members
2,491 posts
2,253 battles

Why games companies not disclosing your chances of winning for loot boxes?  Because they believe telling you the truth would decrease sales.  Seriously think about that for a second.  If that isn't a lack of ethical business practice then I don't what is. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

I do run premium time and put on the flags, but if you play PvP with the flags, I think it is very doable. Have premium time, flags and a good game in co-op and it's doable. I had some pretty poor games where I didn't do much damage, but got respectable credits in PvE. If I had only done a little better on the Acasta game.

You are far better with DD's than I am, actually I think you are better with all ships. 250k is a gigantic and extremely rare payday for me in the middle tiers even with the ships I am more comfortable with than DD's particularly with my being on a long & painful two month long bad streak which is why I have been playing co-op almost exclusively. I have started to play the DD's in randoms again to try to get better with them but the effect of that won't be seen for some time. It is my own fault for letting my DD skills degrade by not playing them for a long time.

My Gallant PvP stats. :Smile_sad:

Average Score per Battle

Experience 794.00
Damage caused 4,688.00
Warships destroyed 0.00
Aircraft destroyed 0.00
Main battery hit ratio 43%
Torpedo hit ratio 0%

[PVE]
Members
9,946 posts
7,492 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You are far better with DD's than I am, actually I think you are better with all ships. 250k is a gigantic and extremely rare payday for me in the middle tiers even with the ships I am more comfortable with than DD's particularly with my being on a long & painful two month long bad streak which is why I have been playing co-op almost exclusively. I have started to play the DD's in randoms again to try to get better with them but the effect of that won't be seen for some time. It is my own fault for letting my DD skills degrade by not playing them for a long time.

My Gallant PvP stats. :Smile_sad:

Average Score per Battle

Experience 794.00
Damage caused 4,688.00
Warships destroyed 0.00
Aircraft destroyed 0.00
Main battery hit ratio 43%
Torpedo hit ratio 0%

I'm not all that great. Are overall DD stats are roughly similar with you having a little edge per WoWs stats. I think you will do well. It might take a few battles, but I bet you can do it.

[UCF]
[UCF]
Members
21 posts
5,725 battles

I got lucky and got the T5-7 ships out of 5 premium and 8 regular boxes. Was stocked to get jervis.  But I agree it would be nice to see the percentage chance or even some basic fractions like 1/10.  But I guess I am used to these as I have played a few Gacha games like Kancolle and Azure Lane.