You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

Porter Class Destroyer?

8 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
403 posts
5,411 battles

Wonder why the Porter class hasn’t been added yet, I think it would make a nice premium or a side-branch ship. It’s quite unique, a large flotilla leader with 8 guns. You could balance that as a tier 7 or 8 premium I think, just give the guns slightly worse reload so the dpm isn’t crazy and have it be slower, kind of like an American akizuki. From what I’ve read about the ship class it was highly successful and the armament varied widely from ship to ship so there are many different versions they could implement. 

file

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
358 posts
5,154 battles
23 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Wonder why the Porter class hasn’t been added yet, I think it would make a nice premium or a side-branch ship. It’s quite unique, a large flotilla leader with 8 guns. You could balance that as a tier 7 or 8 premium I think, just give the guns slightly worse reload so the dpm isn’t crazy and have it be slower, kind of like an American akizuki. From what I’ve read about the ship class it was highly successful and the armament varied widely from ship to ship so there are many different versions they could implement. 

file

Wargaming still has about 2 or 3 thousand BBs they have to make! We can't DARE make a premium DD!

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles
39 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

file

I support this, except worse reload. Even with high RoF, the 5/38s in game have too low shell velocity and pronounced arc to be constrained. 

Perhaps as a balancing factor, remove the engine booster and fill the slot with DFAA or repair party or radar.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,614 posts
9,004 battles

I am not even a DD person and I want it!

[PVE]
Members
9,620 posts
7,466 battles
1 hour ago, bubbleboy264 said:

file

Well the Porter class was built between the Farragut and Mahan classes as a DD leader at 1,850 tons (max WNT/LNT DD size). So figure 16,000 to 17,000 HP and similar armor layout to Farragut/Mahan.

She had 127mm/38 guns like the Farragut/Mahan, so 4s reload, 11.5km to 12.6km range, 1800 damage HE with 5% fire chance, 2100 damage AP, with 792 m/s velocity for both and 103m to 109m dispersion (or worse for balance). Figure the dual gun mounts will turn a little bit slower, so a 10-12 deg/sec traverse for a 15-18sec 180 deg turn.

You can go with these historical gun/AA layouts for 3 hulls.

For a A hull, you would have 4x2 127mm/38 guns (A, B, X, Y), in single purpose, dual mounts, no DP AA. You would have the 2x4 28mm/75 Mk2 AA guns from the Nicholas for the AA. (14 DPS at 3.1km).

For a B AA hull, you would swap the A and Y turrets with 127mm/38 Mk21 DP guns in dual mounts, so you would have 2x2 SP 127mm guns in B & X and 2x2 DP 127mm guns in A & Y. The 28mm guns would be replaced by 1x2 40mm Bofors Mk1 and 6x1 20mm Oerlikon Mk4  AA guns like the AA guns on the C hull Farragut. (13 DPS at 5km, 12 DPS at 3.5km, & 22 DPS at 2km).

For a C AA hull, you could Swap the A & Y turrets like the B hull with 2x2 127mm/38 Mk21 DP guns in dual mounts. Put a single 127mm/38 Mk21 DP gun in the X turret and in the B turret put a 1x4 40mm Bofors Mk2 like what is on the Texas. You would also have 1x2 40mm Bofors Mk1 and 6x1 20mm Oerlikon Mk4  AA guns like the AA guns on the C hull Farragut. (13 DPS at 5km, 3 DPS at 5km, 19 DPS at 3.5km, 12 DPS at 3.5km, & 22 DPS at 2km). This would have no SP 127mm/38 guns.

The Porter class had the same torpedo mounts as the Farragut, so just copy them over.

She could make 37 knots, so figure 35-36 knots in game and a 600m plus turning radius due to size. Figure a 3 to 5 sec rudder shift and I'm sure these could be changed for balance.

I would guess 7.8km to 8km base concealment to start, nerf'd/buffed accordingly.

I would like this a lot and I'm thinking it would be a T7 premium with turret traverse, maneuverability and/or concealment being nerf'd to offset the increase in HP and firepower.

• Cool 1