Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
W31N3RB3RG

Cruiser Lines

18 comments in this topic

[ICE9]
Members
814 posts
8 minutes ago, W31N3RB3RG said:

After finishing both UK and USA Cruiser lines which one should I do next?

German. Hindenburg is my Love Boat. :cap_rambo:

[PVE]
Members
9,603 posts
7,466 battles

PTS 7.10 starts tomorrow.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/public-test-0710/

Take the suggestions you get here and go onto the PTS to try out the lines. Pick the one you like best. You will get some live server rewards as well.

@W31N3RB3RG

Edited by Kizarvexis

[KENT]
Members
54 posts
366 battles

I'd choose Zao. It has torpedoes, concealment decent hard-hitting guns with comfortable shell arcs and not really bad armor. A well-balanced cruiser without magic stuff, one of the first t10 ships in this game, which effectivness is pretty high in any situation.

Alpha Tester
1,306 posts
9,373 battles

All the cruisers lines are very good, Zao and Hindenburg are solid boats. Moskva and Henri IV are the big gun cruisers and are both different play styles, they tend to take a bit more work to get them to play great than Hindy or Zao (Senjo)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,063 posts
14,457 battles

German or IJN Cruiser Lines, at least in a High Tier (VIII-X) perspective.  Both are superb at range.  You are not paranoid because there are no islands around as you would when using a USN Cruiser.  You will find these 2 Cruiser Lines as pretty simple to play and far less stressful than RN & USN Cruisers.  IMO, playing those 2 national Cruiser Lines are the most stressful Cruiser experiences in the game.

VIII-X German Cruisers

Spoiler

+ 27mm bows, they can face tank 380mm AP.  In the past when there were less 380mm BBs in High Tier, I didn't consider this to be that big a deal.  But with the arrival of French BBs armed with 380mm guns even in Tier IX, as well as Jean Bart and Bourgogne coming for Tier IX & X respectively as Premium additions, on top of Bismarck and Tirpitz, the 27mm bow has gained considerable usefulness.

+ You maintain torpedo tubes.

+ Your AA isn't as good as the likes of Baltimore, Seattle, DM, Worcester, etc, but German CA AA in these tiers is very good still.

+ Tier IX-X you have fast firing 203mm guns.

+ Unlike USN Cruisers, you actually have useful shell arcs, shell velocities.  You can actually massacre the DD past 10km whereas the USN Cruiser will struggle even at 9km.  Hitting targets at 15km, 16km, 18km... It's not a problem.

+ German Cruisers have a "Free IFHE but no IFHE Fire Chance Debuff."  German 203mm HE can penetrate and damage 50mm armor such as found on VII+ German BBs, Moskva deck armor, as well as the notorious Science Fiction Khabarovsk 50mm Hull Plates.  Normal 203mm HE cannot pen 50mm armor.  What this means is that German Cruiser 203mm HE is extremely consistent in damage dealing, even against heavy armor.  Yes, you will still set fires, but fires are RNG.  The important thing is that your HE shells will penetrate all but the heaviest of armor and do reliable pen damage.

+ High AP shell damage values.

- Mediocre concealment ranges.

- Low raw HE shell damage, you need time for your HE shells to rack up damage.

- Low HE fire chance.  You need time with numerous hits to land to get fires to stick.  However, with the fast firing 203mm guns on Tier IX-X you ARE a fire starter.

- Torpedoes are useful with their launch arcs, but they are with 6km range.  Good for short ranged work only.

- The High AP shell damage is mitigated that these are "normal" AP shells.  No USN CA bounce angle bonus, meaning the moment anyone starts to angle, your AP shells bounce.

BONUS:  X Hindenburg is one of the most all-around, well loved Cruisers in the game.  Very dangerous at range.  Very consistent damage dealer.  Access to powerful Tier X German Hydro.  Also, she's loaded with torpedoes and a BB would have to have a significant advantage to consider closing range on a Hindenburg, or get rekt by the torps.  Her protection scheme is geared towards a short ranged fight.  Where BBs can get Citadels on Cruisers on such a fight, Hindenburg's protection typically reduces that to Penetration / Overpens, which is a big deal when it comes to taking damage.  Hindenburg will survive long enough to drop the torps on someone that's stupid enough to get close to her.  I've rounded islands with Hindenburg to ambush Battleships.  The BBs find themselves in <7km of a Hindenburg, and you can pretty much see they give up.  There's nothing they can do to put you down in time before you nuke them with torpedoes.

VIII-X IJN Cruisers

Spoiler

+ Do you like HE and setting fires?  IJN Cruisers have the best blend of HE shell capability.  Respectable range, useful shell arcs, respectable shell velocity, high HE damage, high fire damage.  You can reliably engage targets at range.

+ Long range torpedoes, 10km in Tier VIII-IX and then a whopping 12km at Tier X Zao.

+ Do you like concealment?  IJN CAs are super stealthy, bested only by RN & USN CLs.  But those ships are focused on shorter ranges and their shells float a lot.  IJN CAs are sneaky and with their long range prowess, have tremendous flexibility in how they engage.  They do not need to get close.  You manage your concealment and engagement ranges correctly, these are pleasant Cruisers to fight in.

+ Trademark IJN Cruiser Stealth - Torpedo - Gun Tactics:  Use stealth to move about easily, use stealth to drop torpedoes while not detected, and then opening up with HE on someone that took torpedo hits and popped their DCP to stop the floods.  IJN CAs can do this in safer ranges on the kite.  They're the only ones best suited for this because not only do they get the stealth, guns, and long ranged torpedoes... They also can drop LOTS of torpedoes.  French Cruisers for example can have some long range torpedoes, especially Henri IV.  But they can't do the job like IJN CAs because their concealment is utter sh*t and the amount of torpedoes they can drop is an absolute joke.  RN CLs have good torpedo layouts in Tier IX-X.  Long range, tons of torps, AND single-fire launch capability.  Minotaur has magnificent stealth.  But RN CLs do not have the HE shells to truly punish someone that ate one of their torps and were forced to use DCP to stop the floods.  Nobody else can do these tactics to the degree of proficiency as IJN Cruisers.  Because of this, the IJN Cruiser is just as dangerous when she's not spotted as she is spotted and spamming shells at range.

- AA is pretty bad.  Zao can have decent AA but more for personal defense.  The typical Zao build is focused on main battery / ASM1 and Stealth, not having AAGM2.  IJN Cruisers below Zao are significantly worse in AA to the point of liability in a CV match.

- Those powerful, long ranged IJN Cruiser Torpedoes?  The vast majority of them have a side-rear / rear angles for launch.  Hence what I said that earlier that they're more ideal for kiting.  A common mistake with new IJN Cruiser players is they try to desperately drop torps while detected.  When they show their broadside to drop the torps, that's how they get DELETED.  Not only do they get DELETED, but it becomes obvious to the enemy that you were trying to drop torps, so they maneuver to avoid your drop.  You need to drop these torps undetected or get rekt.

- The most sluggish Cruiser turrets you will find.  If you are not prepared and get caught in a short ranged fight, you are in big trouble.  Those rusty turrets and torpedo launch angles will make you vulnerable in a short ranged fight if you're not ready.

BONUS:  X Zao has a very powerful combination of amazing stealth, long range guns, excellent shells, high velocity shells, long range torpedoes.  She is a true, multi-dimensional Cruiser threat with Guns / Stealth / Torpedoes.  Unlike Hindenburg who's torps can only be used in short ranges, Zao is super dangerous with her 12km torps complimenting her weapons.  This makes her IMO, one of the most comfortable, SAFEST Cruisers in the game.  Look, I don't even use her as a main cruiser.  DM is my most played, successful Tier X Cruiser.  But even with my part-time use of Zao, with significant breaks between use of her, and my penchant for too aggressive play which gets me in trouble, I still manage a 54% Survival %.  Compared to my DM's 38%, Hindenburg 45%.  I can only imagine what it's like for guys that make Zao a primary ship and are proficient with her.

Both IJN & German Cruiser Lines are SUPERB for their own styles of play.  You aren't stressing as you are in RN & USN Cruisers.  The Tier X prize at the end are very nice Cruisers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ICE9]
Members
814 posts
On 9/26/2018 at 8:13 PM, Kizarvexis said:

PTS 7.10 starts tomorrow.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/public-test-0710/

Take the suggestions you get here and go onto the PTS to try out the lines. Pick the one you like best. You will get some live server rewards as well.

@W31N3RB3RG

Excellent advice. I've done that myself and it was very helpful.

• Cool 1

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

I'll vote IJN.  

To be clear - I have Hindenburg, still working IJN.  My opinion?  German line isn't worth the time.  If I could have all the exp back and put it towards another line, I would.  Just my opinion. Hindenburg is OK...most of the rest of the line is middling to bad.  

Members
3,775 posts
14,010 battles
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, Octavian_of_Roma said:

KM. Consistently good.

Ditto. The French are good too. They don't really excel at anything but they're good solid botes.

Members
1,296 posts
21,041 battles

I have US, RN, Russian, German, and the ARP cruisers.

I really like RN T6, 7, 8 and the German line T8, (9), and 10 - Hipper and Hindenburg are awesome.  I actually like Hipper more than the Edinburgh.  I do more damage and have a better WR in it, which surprises me 'cause I rally like the Leander and Fiji.  Hindenburg is the only T10 CA I can survive in at T10.  It's great for kiting, has comfortable rifle arcs, a can take a hit or two.

Members
273 posts
4,705 battles

I've done all the cruiser lines and for me the most consistent line is the IJN one. Even the Ibuki is playable (although I shamefully confess I gave into temptation and used FXP part way through to get the Zao). It is a good middle of the line group of ships. Great guns who's slower fire rate is balanced by slightly better than average hulls. The end of the line is one of my favorite ships. 

After the Japanese line I also enjoyed the German and the French lines. The USN lines have fantastic T10's but unfortunately you have to get through a few really painful ships to get there. 

Members
361 posts
6 battles
On 9/26/2018 at 9:01 PM, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

German for sure. Just keep in mind they are the very definition of "glass cannon".

How so? At close to mid range they can get some devastating hits to flat broadside ships, sure. But usually they just do consistent reasonable ammounts of damage, so I wouldn't call them "cannons." They're also the tankiest cruisers, so I certainly wouldn't call them "glass." Des Moines is a ship you could call the definition of a glass cannon.

[FML]
Members
1,752 posts
10,126 battles
6 hours ago, W31N3RB3RG said:

Thanks for the help guys!

German or French. 

I found the French easy and consistent to play throughout; whereas the mid-tier German ships (Nurn-Hipper) as suboptimal. Hinden is excellent though. 

Sign in to follow this