Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NL_Celt

Commander Skills

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
19 posts
658 battles

Been playing awhile but mostly recently. Been starting to get into using flags to help out and have been concentrating on my commander skills. But I wonder what are actually considered the most useful skills? I play only cruisers right now. So if you had 6-7 points what set up would you have, what things would be going towards when you gain more points? Myself I have kept the 1st level for Preventive maintenance, Level 2 Expert marksman, level 3 Survivability Expert.

On others I have taken High Alert and Jack of All Trades. I'm a bit on the fence as to what might actually be better of those two.

On another I also have  Expert Loader, but doesn't work for all my ships.

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
589
[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,744 battles

Captain skills are very ship dependent and are usually tailored to either boost the strengths of the ship or to lessen its weaknesses.

Which CA line are you currently grinding?

Edited by sbcptnitro
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
110
[O7]
[O7]
Members
289 posts
12,304 battles

first off if you are playing cruisers, don't take survivability expert. as a T1 skill Priority target and Preventative Maintenance are good picks. for T2 I would take Adrenaline Rush first, then come back for expert marksman later. at T3 you will want Demo expert or, at higher tiers, superintendent. If you are going for AA substitute in Basic Firing Training. at T4, Light cruisers will want IFHE, and most cruisers can benefit from Concealment expert. Again, if you want anti aircraft spec you can put in Advanced Firing Training and Manual AA instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
19 posts
658 battles
1 minute ago, sbcptnitro said:

Captain skills are very ship dependent and are usually tailored to either boost the strengths of the ship or to lessen its weaknesses.

Which CA line are you currently grinding?

Going along from the Furutaka, Omaha, Danae, Svietlana and Karlsruhe/Konisberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,695
Members
18,198 posts
5,196 battles
8 minutes ago, NL_Celt said:

Been playing awhile but mostly recently. Been starting to get into using flags to help out and have been concentrating on my commander skills. But I wonder what are actually considered the most useful skills? I play only cruisers right now. So if you had 6-7 points what set up would you have, what things would be going towards when you gain more points? Myself I have kept the 1st level for Preventive maintenance, Level 2 Expert marksman, level 3 Survivability Expert.

On others I have taken High Alert and Jack of All Trades. I'm a bit on the fence as to what might actually be better of those two.

On another I also have  Expert Loader, but doesn't work for all my ships.

Any thoughts?

Cruisers? 

All my cruiser captains start with Priority Target, Last Stand, and usually Vigilance, (although some have SI if there's a particular consumable that gets used a lot)

If I was starting a new captain in a high-tier ship, I'd probably trade Last Stand for Expert Marksman.

The nice thing about cruisers is, in most cases, once you get Concealment Expert, you're done with 4-point skills, and can go back and pick up 1-2 point skills relatively quickly, so you end up with more skills than most BBs.

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
19 posts
658 battles
2 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

first off if you are playing cruisers, don't take survivability expert. as a T1 skill Priority target and Preventative Maintenance are good picks. for T2 I would take Adrenaline Rush first, then come back for expert marksman later. at T3 you will want Demo expert or, at higher tiers, superintendent. If you are going for AA substitute in Basic Firing Training. at T4, Light cruisers will want IFHE, and most cruisers can benefit from Concealment expert. Again, if you want anti aircraft spec you can put in Advanced Firing Training and Manual AA instead.

Okay, thanks for that I'll have a look and rethink a bit of this. As with tanks, sometimes what seems a good idea really isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
620
[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

It really depends on the ship. A quick rule of thumb for the first 10pts:

DD: PT/PM, LS, SE, CE

Cruiser: PT/PM, EM/AR, DE/SI, CE
BB: PT/PM, EM, BoS, FP/CE

These are certainly not always the best/optimal skills for a specific ship, but are quite safe skills. I.e. you will definitely make your ship better.

 

It's simple actually - just google "captain build for <insert ship name> 2018" for more specific builds. I'd also suggest to check the stats of the guys who offer advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
19 posts
658 battles
10 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Cruisers? 

All my cruiser captains start with Priority Target, Last Stand, and usually Vigilance, (although some have SI if there's a particular consumable that gets used a lot)

If I was starting a new captain in a high-tier ship, I'd probably trade Last Stand for Expert Marksman.

The nice thing about cruisers is, in most cases, once you get Concealment Expert, you're done with 4-point skills, and can go back and pick up 1-2 point skills relatively quickly, so you end up with more skills than most BBs.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
303
[-WPG-]
Members
801 posts
3,346 battles

You also have to plan ahead for the upper tiers of a line you're going down. The Omaha, for example, splits into US light cruisers and heavy cruisers. If you go light cruisers, IFHE is mandatory (even before concealment).  If you go heavy cruisers, IFHE is useless. 

The two skills I'd say are almost universally the most useful for any line are Adrenaline Rush and Concealment Expert. 

Once you decide a line you're going to give priority to, go on youtube and search for Flamu's videos on the top tier for that ship.  He usually gives his recommended captain skills and they're typically among the best choices. (Make sure the videos are dated 2017 or later. There have been lots of changes in gameplay and captain skills.  Older videos may give bad advice).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,615
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
20 minutes ago, NL_Celt said:

Been playing awhile but mostly recently. Been starting to get into using flags to help out and have been concentrating on my commander skills. But I wonder what are actually considered the most useful skills? I play only cruisers right now. So if you had 6-7 points what set up would you have, what things would be going towards when you gain more points? Myself I have kept the 1st level for Preventive maintenance, Level 2 Expert marksman, level 3 Survivability Expert.

On others I have taken High Alert and Jack of All Trades. I'm a bit on the fence as to what might actually be better of those two.

On another I also have  Expert Loader, but doesn't work for all my ships.

Any thoughts?

I would suggest to read wiki and watch guides. With that said:

Preventative maintenance is not as useful as the skill description indicates. It doesnt improve survavability of AA and secondary mounts. I would get Priority Target instead on almost any ship.

Adrenaline Rush is extremely powerful at the second level (increases you average damage per minute quite a bit). You can also get Last Stand (any destroyer, maybe some cruisers) and Expert Marskman (only ships with slow turrets, like Yamato or Gremmy)

At third level, Suevavability Expert is generally only useful on some DDs. Other good choices are Vigillance (good on BBs and some cruisers), Demolition Expert (good on ships that use a lot of high explosive shells with low fire chance), Superintendant (pretty much good on almost any ship that uses consumables other than repair and airplane), Basic Fire Training (good on ships that frequently use guns with >130mm caliber). Torpedo Armarent Expert is good on DDs that rely on torps (about 2/3 of different lines).

At fourth level, Concealement Expert is great on any ship. IFHE is good on ships with ~150mm guns, ie most light cruisers. Fire Prevention is good on battleships. AFT and manual secondaries/AA has their niche also, but dont worry about those for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
19 posts
658 battles
6 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

It really depends on the ship. A quick rule of thumb for the first 10pts:

DD: PT/PM, LS, SE, CE

Cruiser: PT/PM, EM/AR, DE/SI, CE
BB: PT/PM, EM, BoS, FP/CE

These are certainly not always the best/optimal skills for a specific ship, but are quite safe skills. I.e. you will definitely make your ship better.

 

It's simple actually - just google "captain build for <insert ship name> 2018" for more specific builds. I'd also suggest to check the stats of the guys who offer advice.

Great, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,695
Members
18,198 posts
5,196 battles
19 minutes ago, NL_Celt said:

Going along from the Furutaka, Omaha, Danae, Svietlana and Karlsruhe/Konisberg

Not so sure about Furutaka, but for the rest, especially Konigsberg, you definitely want Last Stand. You can't afford to be brought to a standstill or stuck driving in a circle ever.

Expert Loader is handy, with the quick ROF of most cruisers, you can switch back and forth without really missing a beat, especially when that nearby enemy CL looks like he's about to flash you a broadside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,211
[WOLF3]
Members
6,399 posts
2,387 battles

Some cruisers have a weakness in the buttocks area, i.e. Steering and Propulsion.  For those, both PM (Preventive Maintenance) and LS (Last Stand) apply.  I rarely take both.  (LS is almost de rigeur for a destroyer.)  As best I recall, Omaha and the Germans are not in that group, so PT (Priority Target) for them.  I will take Expert Loader, but rarely as a first skill.  Again, ship-dependent (actually reload-speed dependent).

At Level 2, if you don't need LS, then it's a toss-up between EM (Expert Marksman) and AR (Adrenaline Rush).  Look at your turret rotation.  If it's ~30" or longer for a 180° turn, take EM (unless the ship has the maneuverability of a brick, like Furutaka).  It's a judgement call.

For the first 3 point skill, the wiki usually recommends Superintendent (SI).  I rarely agree.  I prefer Vigilance (VI) or Basic Firing Training (BFT) or Basics of Survival (BoS).  Situationally, DE.

Your first 4 point skill will usually be Concealment Expert (CE), but there are other good choices too.  For the light cruiser line, I will take IFHE first.  Others might want AFT. 

Good luck, and welcome to the Game.

 

Edited by iDuckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,162
[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles
29 minutes ago, NL_Celt said:

Been playing awhile but mostly recently. Been starting to get into using flags to help out and have been concentrating on my commander skills. But I wonder what are actually considered the most useful skills? I play only cruisers right now. So if you had 6-7 points what set up would you have, what things would be going towards when you gain more points? Myself I have kept the 1st level for Preventive maintenance, Level 2 Expert marksman, level 3 Survivability Expert.

On others I have taken High Alert and Jack of All Trades. I'm a bit on the fence as to what might actually be better of those two.

On another I also have  Expert Loader, but doesn't work for all my ships.

Any thoughts?

 

12 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

It really depends on the ship. A quick rule of thumb for the first 10pts:

DD: PT/PM, LS, SE, CE

Cruiser: PT/PM, EM/AR, DE/SI, CE
BB: PT/PM, EM, BoS, FP/CE

These are certainly not always the best/optimal skills for a specific ship, but are quite safe skills. I.e. you will definitely make your ship better.

 

It's simple actually - just google "captain build for <insert ship name> 2018" for more specific builds. I'd also suggest to check the stats of the guys who offer advice.

 

I agree with EvileMonkeigh and I would add PT/PM, LS, DE, CE for light cruisers, CL. At higher tiers where the CLs have a lot of consumables or for UK cruisers with Heal, I would do SI instead of DE. Especially for UK Cruisers as they fire AP shells only and DE and IFHE don't help the tech tree UK cruisers.

 

Heavy cruisers, CA, tend to work well with the cruiser setup evileMonkeigh used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
19 posts
658 battles
12 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

You also have to plan ahead for the upper tiers of a line you're going down. The Omaha, for example, splits into US light cruisers and heavy cruisers. If you go light cruisers, IFHE is mandatory (even before concealment).  If you go heavy cruisers, IFHE is useless. 

The two skills I'd say are almost universally the most useful for any line are Adrenaline Rush and Concealment Expert. 

Once you decide a line you're going to give priority to, go on youtube and search for Flamu's videos on the top tier for that ship.  He usually gives his recommended captain skills and they're typically among the best choices. (Make sure the videos are dated 2017 or later. There have been lots of changes in gameplay and captain skills.  Older videos may give bad advice).

Good stuff. In tanks AR is only if there is nothing left to get, but concealment I like a lot. So it works well here too as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,615
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Expert Loader is handy, with the quick ROF of most cruisers, you can switch back and forth without really missing a beat, especially when that nearby enemy CL looks like he's about to flash you a broadside.

Problem is, you can't easily get two 1 point skills on a lot of the builds, because you'd have to give up a two or three point skill:

1-2-2-3-3-4-4 (all CLs must get 4-4, same for AA cruisers).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
170
[WOLFB]
Members
450 posts
3,836 battles

I am skeptical about Torpedo Armament Expert -- TAE.

With quick reload torps like the Sims (at 72 seconds) you will get at the very most 2 extra shots off if the match goes the full 20 minutes and you are literally launching torps at the exact moment they reload. You'll be able to launch 15 times instead of 13. But only if you really never wait to like to the shot. Or at best, you are able to have the shot lined up perfectly the moment the torpedoes are reloaded.

Is maybe 2 extra rushed shots worth giving up a Tier 3 skill?

If the torps take 100+ seconds to reload, then you'll only get one extra torpedo launch -- only if the game goes the full 20 minutes.

Full disclosure: I haven't actually tested this. I've only calculated it out on a spreadsheet and decided to spend the points elsewhere. I wanted to share these numbers and hear from people with more actual play experience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,162
[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles
15 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

You also have to plan ahead for the upper tiers of a line you're going down. The Omaha, for example, splits into US light cruisers and heavy cruisers. If you go light cruisers, IFHE is mandatory (even before concealment).  If you go heavy cruisers, IFHE is useless. 

The two skills I'd say are almost universally the most useful for any line are Adrenaline Rush and Concealment Expert. 

Once you decide a line you're going to give priority to, go on youtube and search for Flamu's videos on the top tier for that ship.  He usually gives his recommended captain skills and they're typically among the best choices. (Make sure the videos are dated 2017 or later. There have been lots of changes in gameplay and captain skills.  Older videos may give bad advice).

Just now, NL_Celt said:

Good stuff. In tanks AR is only if there is nothing left to get, but concealment I like a lot. So it works well here too as well.

 

I would suggest taking a look at a wide range of suggestions from videos and here on the forum and going with the skills that work for how you play. For example, I play co-op and PvP, but 7 or so co-op games to 1 PvP game. Since we can get green team :bot: CVs to fill out the queue, we see a lot more CVs in co-op than you currently see in PvP. So I run a lot more AA spec than PvP mains would as it works better for me. Another example, if you find you just hate CVs in PvP, even though you rarely see them, run AA spec if you want, even though it is not recommend generally. Go with what works best for you.

 

ALSO, very important. Sign up for the Play Test Server (PTS). You can test various builds in the PTS without having to spend your hard earned money or Elite Cmdr XP on the live server.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/public-test-0710/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
19 posts
658 battles

Okay, thanks, all. I'll keep looking at other responses, but seems I have some rethinking to do and doubloons to spend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,162
[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles
Just now, NL_Celt said:

Okay, thanks, all. I'll keep looking at other responses, but seems I have some rethinking to do and doubloons to spend!

I would test builds on the PTS first if you are unsure, before spending doubloons. Unless buying doubloons is no big deal. The PTS starts tomorrow.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,615
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
17 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

At Level 2, if you don't need LS, then it's a toss-up between EM (Expert Marksman) and AR (Adrenaline Rush).  Look at your turret rotation.  If it's ~30" or longer for a 180° turn, take EM (unless the ship has the maneuverability of a brick, like Furutaka).  It's a judgement call.

For the first 3 point skill, the wiki usually recommends Superintendent (SI).  I rarely agree.  I prefer Vigilance (VI) or Basic Firing Training (BFT) or Basics of Survival (BoS).  Situationally, DE.

AR is almost always preferable to EM as the first level two skill. BBs are the ones with slow turrets, yet they benefit immensely from AR because they fight at low HP for such a high percentage of time in matches.

Dont forget, BFT is only useful for guns below 130mm (and AA, but that's not really important in the game right now). Cruiser other than Atlanta get little benefit deok it. BoS is good on most DDs, but not other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
19 posts
658 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

I would test builds on the PTS first if you are unsure, before spending doubloons. Unless buying doubloons is no big deal. The PTS starts tomorrow.

Actually I'll be using silver. Got lots of that.

edit: Just found out that doesn't work!

Edited by NL_Celt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,615
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
13 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

I am skeptical about Torpedo Armament Expert -- TAE.

With quick reload torps like the Sims (at 72 seconds) you will get at the very most 2 extra shots off if the match goes the full 20 minutes and you are literally launching torps at the exact moment they reload. You'll be able to launch 15 times instead of 13.

DPM is DPM. From time to time those 10-15 seconds of torpedo cooldown reduction make a big difference, be it because the window of opportunity closes, or because you managed to stack flooding that lasted longer. Sure, on a DD that uses guns heavily should first grab BFT/SE, whatever. But on a DD that relies of torpedoes I will always get TAE first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,211
[WOLF3]
Members
6,399 posts
2,387 battles
8 minutes ago, vak_ said:

AR is almost always preferable to EM as the first level two skill. BBs are the ones with slow turrets, yet they benefit immensely from AR because they fight at low HP for such a high percentage of time in matches.

Depends on the ship.  Some (notably IJN) have painfully slow turrets.  But yeah, otherwise AR.

 

Quote

BoS is good on most DDs, but not other ships.

You're thinking SE.  BoS is okay, but I'm not sure I've ever taken it as the first 3-pt skill.

Edited by iDuckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,615
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Depends on the ship.  Some (notably IJN) have painfully slow turrets.  But yeah, otherwise AR.

You're thinking SE.  BoS is okay, but I'm not sure I've ever taken it as the first 3-pt skill.

But AR affects torpedo reload too, so you definitely want that on IJN DDs :) There are often times when I do something stupid, lose 90% HP on my Shima, and think "all planned, now my torps reload almost 20% faster!" :) I'd only get EM over AR on Gremmy, because those turrets are SLOW

Oh yeah. Which one is BoS again? Reduction in CD of repair party? That's rarely a good choice over other available skills, IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×