You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SirMuttonChops

Are planes tougher now? Or my AA less effective.

6 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
397 posts
3,655 battles

Just wanted to start by saying that this isn't a thread about how CV's need a nerf or AA needs a buff. 

But I recently got my Missouri Captain up to 18 skill points, and with it re-spec'd him to boost his AA potential for the ship by taking both Basic Fire Training and Advance Fire Training. When these are combined with AA Gun Mod 2, it has my Missouri displayed as a 100 A Rating.

After playing about 10 games last night in Co-Op it seemed that my AA was less effective than what it was previously when I had just BFT and AA Mod 2. Previously my Missouri really never had to worry about planes(lower and same tier anyway) as they'd usually all be shot down before making their attack run, or else maybe only a lone plane would get through.

Last night the planes were still getting shot down without question, but it seemed the extra distance at which the guns began firing wasn't worth much as about the same number would still get through despite spending more time in my AA bubble before dropping their pay-load. In one instance, a tier 8 American CV sent a dive bomber squad head on at me and I only shot down 2 or 3 planes before they made it to me and were still able to drop their bombs.

So it made me wonder if planes were recently buffed (not a bad thing in my opinion) and I may have missed it in the notes. Or is the AA of my ship not really as good as the 100 rating would have me believe, and the extra distance the guns engage at actually hindered them a bit in some way.

Odd question also, but has anyone else experienced something like this with their ships as well that, despite the upgrades, the AA doesn't feel as powerful?

[ICE9]
Members
844 posts

In Co-op? Normal damage rules do not apply.

They probably gave bot planes the HP of a Moskva and the agility of a Leningrad.

See Comrade? Sky cancer taste good like of the cold borsht, nyet?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,789 battles

Had your ship taken more HE damage than normal?

Usually HE spammers knock out your AA guns alot.

I run a mod from WG moderation which tells me how effective my AA and secondaries are at all times with ranges and numbers.

Alternatively you can always hit H to tell you at any point in game. (I'm just lazy and and want info on screen)

[RNG]
Members
277 posts
2,538 battles
1 hour ago, SirMuttonChops said:

Just wanted to start by saying that this isn't a thread about how CV's need a nerf or AA needs a buff. 

But I recently got my Missouri Captain up to 18 skill points, and with it re-spec'd him to boost his AA potential for the ship by taking both Basic Fire Training and Advance Fire Training. When these are combined with AA Gun Mod 2, it has my Missouri displayed as a 100 A Rating.

After playing about 10 games last night in Co-Op it seemed that my AA was less effective than what it was previously when I had just BFT and AA Mod 2. Previously my Missouri really never had to worry about planes(lower and same tier anyway) as they'd usually all be shot down before making their attack run, or else maybe only a lone plane would get through.

Last night the planes were still getting shot down without question, but it seemed the extra distance at which the guns began firing wasn't worth much as about the same number would still get through despite spending more time in my AA bubble before dropping their pay-load. In one instance, a tier 8 American CV sent a dive bomber squad head on at me and I only shot down 2 or 3 planes before they made it to me and were still able to drop their bombs.

So it made me wonder if planes were recently buffed (not a bad thing in my opinion) and I may have missed it in the notes. Or is the AA of my ship not really as good as the 100 rating would have me believe, and the extra distance the guns engage at actually hindered them a bit in some way.

Odd question also, but has anyone else experienced something like this with their ships as well that, despite the upgrades, the AA doesn't feel as powerful?

I am 73.2% sure that shooting down planes is RNG based on your AA damage.  It is possible that you have simply be getting unlucky.

The other comments are definitely true too.  It is common in games to compensate for lack of intelligence in bots by making them stronger than the players.  Also some good HE salvos will curb stomp your AA.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,178 posts
14,610 battles

Co-op planes are weak and still easy to shoot down.  They don't run the mods, skills that make them faster, tougher the way CV players do.

Of course, for my AA Spec BBs I run AAM1 upgrade to toughen up the Secondaries / AA Mounts.  Even after a good beating, lots of the AA mounts and DPS are still there.   Make sure you are CTRL+LMB the aircraft unit to get a DPS bonus against them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway