You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JackSchitz

Invisible ships?

22 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
2,148 battles

About an hour ago I was in a game where there was a ship at close range firing at me (not in smoke) that was invisible other than its muzzle flashes.   I don't have a range, but flight time was less than 0.5 secs and there was no smoke and no physical obstructions to prevent me from seeing the other boat.   Also, he didn't show up on my mini-map.  I initially thought this was cheating, but the forums have suggested that this may be impossible (see attached thread) and that it is more likely to be a bug.  I let the guy kill me so I could get his? name.  I'll give it to the devs if they want it.  Unfortunately, I hit PrintScreen, but didn't seem to get a shot of this.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  

Thanks.

Edited by JackSchitz

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
6,472 battles

How close is close? Most destroyers can easily do this in the 2-5km range.

[WORX]
Members
1,837 posts
12,880 battles

Here big guy, this is your second thread with out any evidence. I don;t think report system will help you, but this will 

Members
17 posts
2,148 battles
7 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

How close is close? Most destroyers can easily do this in the 2-5km range.

I don't think so.  I was playing a level 5 DD whose detectability range is 6.8 km while not firing and Assured Detectability range is 2km.  Assuming that I'm not grossly off on the flight times estimates (I could see the muzzle blasts), then assuming a initial muzzle velocity of ~ 2,500 ft/s, the other ship should have been within 500 (If I timed the shots correctly) to 1000 (assuming that I was 100% off on timing) meters at its closest.  Lets double those estimates just to be safe and say that the boat was at a range of 1,000 to 2,000 meters .   This is still within what would be considered min detectability while not firing, not to mention what should be the case while firing. 

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles
55 minutes ago, JackSchitz said:

I hit PrintScreen, but didn't seem to get a shot of this.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Screenshots are saved in C, Games, WorldofWarships, Screenshots.

Members
17 posts
2,148 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Screenshots are saved in C, Games, WorldofWarships, Screenshots.

Awesome.  Thanks. Will post shortly.

Members
17 posts
2,148 battles

Here are two shots of the ship in question.  You can see the smoke from the firing of the guns and the low arc of the shots.  I will amend something I said earlier, which is that the ship didn't show up in my mini-map.  On closer inspection of the shot it is there but it is a hollow outline of a ship and not a solid ship. 

Hope this helps.

shot-18_09.26_11_57.05-0933.thumb.jpg.bd7f8c121123b40076d829d73c2fa5e1.jpg

shot-18.09.26_11.57.05-0704.jpg

Edited by JackSchitz

[MEIST]
Members
871 posts
3,059 battles

Have you sent in the bug report like @turbo07 asked you too? Send in the screenshot with it.

[OPG]
Supertester
1,899 posts
10,234 battles
21 minutes ago, JackSchitz said:

Here are two shots of the ship in question.  You can see the smoke from the firing of the guns and the low arc of the shots.  I will amend something I said earlier, which is that the ship didn't show up in my mini-map.  On closer inspection of the shot it is there but it is a hollow outline of a ship and not a solid ship. 

Hope this helps.

shot-18_09.26_11_57.05-0933.thumb.jpg.bd7f8c121123b40076d829d73c2fa5e1.jpg

shot-18.09.26_11.57.05-0704.jpg

The player is actually on your mini map, however they are rendered in outline, rather than solid.  Given that there is no one or plane on your team which could be spotting them other than you, this indicates that they fired, got detected, and at the time of this screenshot are in the process of rendering.  

Did they suddenly appear immediately after these screenshots?

[WORX]
Members
1,837 posts
12,880 battles
8 minutes ago, JackSchitz said:

I guess not. I assumed this was the bug reporting mechanism.  I'll look for something in the support section. Thanks.

You were spotted, everyone with a high caliber gun can shoot at you.. Those were probably not the nearest DD guns. Those where from other ship that is aiming at you because you're spotted. Its not a bug, I can clearly see from the pic

1. how you're concealment was blown
  2. what ships in your vicinity could be shooting at you.
  3. Since you don;t have priority target. You don;t have a clue this is happening ..

Do you want more clarification now that I seen the pics ?

There is even the warning "DETECTED!" in the pic. its not a bug...

Edited by Navalpride33

[PNG]
5,664 posts
6,472 battles

This looks like a rendering bug. The ship should be visible but your game apparently refused to draw it.

[MEIST]
Members
871 posts
3,059 battles
3 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

This looks like a rendering bug. The ship should be visible but your game apparently refused to draw it.

The 9 FPS may not be helping.

[WORX]
Members
1,837 posts
12,880 battles
6 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Not even, The CV sent planes invading his detection space @ E5 quadrant on the mini map. As we all know if a plan spots you everyone from the OP's location to port can see him. Its not even a bug since with everyone with a gun turret can see him, its unclear who is really shooting at him

Edited by Navalpride33

[PNG]
5,664 posts
6,472 battles
39 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Not even, The CV sent planes invading his detection space @ E5 quadrant on the mini map. As we all know if a plan spots you everyone from the OP's location to port can see him. Its not even a bug since with everyone with a gun turret can see him, its unclear who is really shooting at him

Look at the minimap. The ship shooting at him has an outline for spotted but not rendered. The ship should be rendered as it is too close for cyclone or any other thing that should prevent rendering. It doesn’t matter who is spotting him, it matters why the ship is not rendering.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,837 posts
12,880 battles
12 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

why the ship is not rendering.

^^^ Simple. IMO, I dont think the DD shot at him (the one that is not rendering). Because if it did then your statement is true. I believe that DD in question is acting as a spotter while other take shots at him.  All red ships are accounted for except 1 red DD.

Also IF the OP would have turned in to face the red DD to trigger the assured detection. From what I can see the red DD had air support so it makes sense. What do you think?

Members
17 posts
2,148 battles
43 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

^^^ Simple. IMO, I dont think the DD shot at him (the one that is not rendering). Because if it did then your statement is true. I believe that DD in question is acting as a spotter while other take shots at him.  All red ships are accounted for except 1 red DD.

Also IF the OP would have turned in to face the red DD to trigger the assured detection. From what I can see the red DD had air support so it makes sense. What do you think?

I was facing him.  If you look carefully, you can not only see the rounds coming at me from him, but you can also see the puffs of smoke from the muzzle flashes.   Right where those puffs of smoke are should be a ship. 

[PNG]
5,664 posts
6,472 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I finally have access to a computer with photoshop.

vxzckkd.png

1. You state the planes are detecting him. I do not dispute that the aircraft can possibly see him. However, a Detected Icon with no Plane icon indicates that a ship is also detecting him, as the ship detection takes priority over the aircraft detection in the UI display. It will only say Detected by Aircraft if a ship is not detecting him.

2. The two arrows denote a the smoke from a destroyer firing. This ship is at most 5km away based on the space between the two guns, traveling roughly parallel to the horizon.

3. The map clearly states that an unrendered but detected ship is within 5km. The Last Known Position markers are gray, while actively spotted but unrendered ships are hollow. In this case, the ship should be visible, but either due to a UI bug or a corrupt model, is not making it visible.

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
1,837 posts
12,880 battles
2 hours ago, Compassghost said:

However, a Detected Icon with no Plane icon indicates that a ship is also detecting him, as the ship detection takes priority over the aircraft detection in the UI display. It will only say Detected by Aircraft if a ship is not detecting him.

^^^^ Check closely, the Airplane icon is just under your hand drawn green line. Can you clear the confusion of the statement. IF the CV is spotting him first then the Plane spotting take priority on the UI display. 

IMO, the reason being is planes are faster then ships doctrine. IF the planes take his concealment first then that will take precedence, red DD sees him first, OP is moving away avoiding the 2 km assured detection causing the red DD to be semi-invisible. Eventually, he will became visible, he must definitly would've become visible if the OP would've turn in to the secure 2km accusation rule. 

In summery I see two things (not bug related but the OP did left out planes were spotting him on his two threads on the subject).

1. IF the CV's planes are taking his concealment first, then that rule is in affect over the ship to ship detect-ability rule laid out in the how its done spotting video.
  2. Then if the above said rule was in effect then the red DD had the advantage.

If only the OP would've turned in to the DD to trigger the assured detect-ability THEN the ship to ship detection UI display takes over. 

Either way, Turbo seen it he is a cool guy and if he says it maybe a bug after my reasoning then cool, OP will get a review of the pics provided. I sure hope they don;t come to what I concluded. Based from what I seen I also have a case.   

[PNG]
5,664 posts
6,472 battles
55 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

^^^^ Check closely, the Airplane icon is just under your hand drawn green line. Can you clear the confusion of the statement. IF the CV is spotting him first then the Plane spotting take priority on the UI display. 

IMO, the reason being is planes are faster then ships doctrine. IF the planes take his concealment first then that will take precedence, red DD sees him first, OP is moving away avoiding the 2 km assured detection causing the red DD to be semi-invisible. Eventually, he will became visible, he must definitly would've become visible if the OP would've turn in to the secure 2km accusation rule. 

In summery I see two things (not bug related but the OP did left out planes were spotting him on his two threads on the subject).

1. IF the CV's planes are taking his concealment first, then that rule is in affect over the ship to ship detect-ability rule laid out in the how its done spotting video.
  2. Then if the above said rule was in effect then the red DD had the advantage.

If only the OP would've turned in to the DD to trigger the assured detect-ability THEN the ship to ship detection UI display takes over. 

Either way, Turbo seen it he is a cool guy and if he says it maybe a bug after my reasoning then cool, OP will get a review of the pics provided. I sure hope they don;t come to what I concluded. Based from what I seen I also have a case.   

The airplane icon you are talking about indicates an aircraft in relation to your ship, similar to a torpedo warning. It becomes red when it gets closer. You can see in this video how it appears, and when the detection circle covers the Hakuryu, it defaults to Hakuryu ship spotting over carrier aircraft spotting.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,837 posts
12,880 battles
5 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

The airplane icon you are talking about indicates an aircraft in relation to your ship

^^ big ty up voted....

Edited by Navalpride33

[OPG]
Supertester
1,899 posts
10,234 battles

Indeed it is a surface ship detection going on, based upon the ship lineup visible in the minimap it can ONLY be the DD which is shown as an outline on the minimap and iwthin the cap.  Based upon the smoke clouds of the muzzle flash and the size of the cap on that map the DD firing is about 5km away.  With no smoke or cyclone it should be visible.   If there was simply unrendered smoke covering it, then the OP should not be surface detected (however it would be plane detected).  This however is not the case, thus the server is telling the OP's client that there is no smoke obscuring the vision path.   

Given the 9FPS it seems the OP's client or machine screwed up and failed to render the attacking ship properly.