Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
El_Cid_333

A couple newbie questions; I hope you don't mind.

16 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
453 battles

A friend turned me on to this game. I've watched him play and even sailed a few of his ships so I know at least the basics of the game.

1. I keep earning things like flags in battle or coal in containers but I'm no where near the levels to use them. Will they be there when I do reach those levels?

2. I downloaded the game to my laptop and I'll get an occasional popup saying the launcher is running in the background. Good, bad, doesn't matter? Is there an easy way to turn it off when I'm not playing the game? Do I have to turn it back on to play the game?  Keep in mind that I'm of a generation that wasn't given a computer to play with while in the crib.

Thanks in advance

• Cool 1

Members
1,854 posts
829 battles

1.  Yes, they will be there when you reach those levels.  I had the same question.

2.  I haven't had any problem with the launcher running in the background, but my machine is only 9 months old.  Older machines may have trouble.  I haven't tried to turn it off, so I don't know.

Hope this helps.

[PVE]
Members
9,896 posts
7,492 battles
5 minutes ago, El_Cid_333 said:

A friend turned me on to this game. I've watched him play and even sailed a few of his ships so I know at least the basics of the game.

1. I keep earning things like flags in battle or coal in containers but I'm no where near the levels to use them. Will they be there when I do reach those levels?

2. I downloaded the game to my laptop and I'll get an occasional popup saying the launcher is running in the background. Good, bad, doesn't matter? Is there an easy way to turn it off when I'm not playing the game? Do I have to turn it back on to play the game?  Keep in mind that I'm of a generation that wasn't given a computer to play with while in the crib.

Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

1.  Yes, they will be there when you reach those levels.  I had the same question.

2.  I haven't had any problem with the launcher running in the background, but my machine is only 9 months old.  Older machines may have trouble.  I haven't tried to turn it off, so I don't know.

Hope this helps.

1. Do check out the Guides forum as there is a New Player Guides section. Especially check out Hangglide's threads. 

2. I have turned off the launcher when the game was running and had no problems.

[HINON]
Members
321 posts
2,149 battles

Greetings, and welcome to the big boat simulator! :Smile_honoring:  Flags and consumables will be unlocked pretty quickly, so until then, I would just play the game and get a feel for what play-style you will ultimately become.  Once you hit tier 3 and 4, you will find the difference between ship types becomes heavily pronounced and unique.  Until then, happy sailing, and welcome aboard!:cap_popcorn:

Members
14 posts
453 battles
37 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Hope this helps.

Thanks. My laptop is even newer than that. However when I get that popup message it's as if my machine is telling me I need to do something. Much like the check oil light on a car's dashboard; do I ignore it at my own risk.

Members
14 posts
453 battles
9 minutes ago, A_Horde_of_Sharks said:

Greetings, and welcome to the big boat simulator! :Smile_honoring:  Flags and consumables will be unlocked pretty quickly, so until then, I would just play the game and get a feel for what play-style you will ultimately become.  Once you hit tier 3 and 4, you will find the difference between ship types becomes heavily pronounced and unique.  Until then, happy sailing, and welcome aboard!:cap_popcorn:

You mean there are more play styles than just charging in and blowing up ships. :Smile_teethhappy: Just joking.

[BLHK]
Members
360 posts
3,472 battles
9 minutes ago, El_Cid_333 said:

You mean there are more play styles than just charging in and blowing up ships. :Smile_teethhappy: Just joking.

Yeah there is a lot of getting blown up as well lol

[FOXEH]
Members
3,365 posts
12,198 battles
14 minutes ago, El_Cid_333 said:

Thanks. My laptop is even newer than that. However when I get that popup message it's as if my machine is telling me I need to do something. Much like the check oil light on a car's dashboard; do I ignore it at my own risk.

There are settings in the launcher to manage launcher behavior. If you check don't run at startup it won't run in the background until you launch the client. Its purpose for running is to automatically detect and download/install updates. Purely your choice to leave it running or not.

Members
18,344 posts
5,238 battles
16 minutes ago, El_Cid_333 said:

You should be able to turn off the launcher when you're not playing in the taskbar.

Or, (I assume Windows 10 has this) you can run msconfig, and remove the launcher from the startup list, and it won't run until you got to play the game.

One thing the launcher in the background is good for, is if you leave your computer turned on, it will download updates while you're sleeping.

Nothing worse than having an hour to kill, firing up the game, and immediately having to spend half or more of that hour updating.

Members
18,344 posts
5,238 battles
3 minutes ago, Khafni said:

There are settings in the launcher to manage launcher behavior. If you check don't run at startup it won't run in the background until you launch the client. 

Lol didn't realise you could use the launcher to turn off the launcher....

Members
3,821 posts
14,163 battles
16 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Lol didn't realise you could use the launcher to turn off the launcher....

I didn't either. Good to know.

Members
1,029 posts
13,067 battles

Welcome aboard...

Unless you're trolling the forum questions here are often answered in a friendly and helpful manner.

I'm curious... what flags have you been winning?

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,958 battles
2 hours ago, El_Cid_333 said:

Thanks in advance

Flags or signals? Most flags don't provide any benefit except for a couple. Coal, check the Arsenal. You can buy things using the coal.

I close the launcher after the game launches, don't need it in memory.

Members
14 posts
453 battles
10 hours ago, Willy55_1955 said:

Flags or signals? Most flags don't provide any benefit except for a couple. Coal, check the Arsenal. You can buy things using the coal.

I close the launcher after the game launches, don't need it in memory.

10 hours ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

Welcome aboard...

Unless you're trolling the forum questions here are often answered in a friendly and helpful manner.

I'm curious... what flags have you been winning?

Sorry about that. I'll pick up the proper lingo as I go along, but yea, signals.

I got 10 for sinking a ship by ramming and living. I don't remember what ship I was in as at that tier they all seem the same. The one stand out was the Black Swan; I got signals for both a Kracken  and Confederate achievements in one game.

That Black Swan is a beast. It makes the Weymouth seem more like a let down than an upgrade. I suppose all the lines will be like that; great ships leading to mediocre ships leading to who knows what. This might be an interesting rollercoaster ride of a game.

[-WPG-]
Members
821 posts
3,401 battles

IMO the best piece of advice for a new player is to learn the mechanics of aiming -- how shell travel time translates to how you use your aiming reticule.  It should be a forced tutorial.  I was several hundred battles in, with a winrate in the low 40%, before I saw a video on how to aim. The cliff notes version:

1) Go into settings and make sure your crosshair settings are set to Dynamic. Let's ignore the differences in the reticules for the sake of simplicity. Suffice to say the dynamic crosshair is better in every way.

2) When you zoom in for aiming, if the shell travel time says 8 seconds, line up the 8th tick mark on your aiming reticule with the middle of the ship.  Important:  This assumes that ship is travelling at ~30kts.  If the ship's is slower you have to adjust and aim at the 6th tickmark or so.  Knowing how fast a ship is travelling is important to using the reticule's aim. 

Here's a link to an iChase Academy video that helped me.  *Note that he is incorrect in stating that the dynamic reticule assumes a ship travelling at 20kts.  It's actually 30kts, but everything else in the video was helpful to me. 

[WORX]
Members
1,884 posts
12,967 battles
13 hours ago, El_Cid_333 said:

Thanks in advance

1. Everything that is earn that is out of your reach because your not there yet, will be there once you finally get there. You can also check your inventory in the options tab. The inventory feature is usefull when you're low in credits. It can provide credits by selling your least used or dubs restricted gear.

2. WGC can be turned off not a problem there. once your in the game the WGC is not useful.

THere is a lot of information in the "how it works series" in the WOWS youtube main page. Learning is good but, just take your time having fun learning. As a community at large, Rushing up the tiers is viewed as a bad idea. GL/HF

Sign in to follow this