You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Steel_I

How to deal with a high tier DD when you are a high tier BB

50 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
1,720 battles

I am having a lot of problem dealing with high tier DD in a high tier BB like the yamato especially on a one to bases especially in rank battles.  Not so much on random battles maybe there are other ships around where I don't have to deal with the DD on a one to one bases.  Often I don't even see the DD just a hold bunch of torpedoes coming at me that I can avoid getting hit. 

Not so much a problem in lower tier random battles usually I see the DD fare enough away to put some distance form the DD and either avoid the torpedoes or destroy the DD before it gets me.  In tier 5 or 6 random battles I stand better then a 50/50 against a dd.  But in tier 10 rank battle I just get wipe out often don't even see them.

Any advice here?  Is there article or video I can watch. 

thanks

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Wait until he is perpendicular to you and yeet that sucker back to port. If you try to shoot him when he is giving broadside, you will usually overpen. 

If he is in point blank range, patience is key. Hit him while he's turning so he cant dodge, but dont let him get torps off. If he is in 5km or less you can almost always get a good hit on him, but pe wtrations on dds are a roll of the dice. If you know you are going to be knife fighting a dd in advance, consider loading HE.

Anything outside of about 5km just actively evade potential torpedo attacks and make yourself a hard target. Change direction, speed, and be aware of all the possible places je could pop up

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,445 posts
11,731 battles

This just reiterates the importance of EVERYONE shooting a spotted destroyer. 

Mid to late game they are terrors.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
8 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Wait until he is perpendicular to you and yeet that sucker back to port. If you try to shoot him when he is giving broadside, you will usually overpen. 

I don't think he meant that DDs are rushing him in full visibility. First post reads more like "a DD is torping my Yammie out of invisibility, what to do?"

And the answer is: nothing you can do, except WASD and hope the DD makes a mistake. It's that way by design.

• Cool 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,926 battles
7 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

If he is in point blank range, patience is key. Hit him while he's turning so he cant dodge, but dont let him get torps off. If he is in 5km or less you can almost always get a good hit on him, but pe wtrations on dds are a roll of the dice. If you know you are going to be knife fighting a dd in advance, consider loading HE.

Anything outside of about 5km just actively evade potential torpedo attacks and make yourself a hard target. Change direction, speed, and be aware of all the possible places je could pop up

Only thing I would add to this is what the community has always said: to the best of your ability, don't be alone. Teamwork makes the dream work.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[WORX]
Members
1,825 posts
12,872 battles

Forgot if the Yammi has spotter plane, if it does use it. cpt skill Vigilance is good too.

What's odd to me is, the majority of the player base have problems with torp DDs at lower to mid tiers. Tier 10, if a BB is torped at tier X, 9 times out of 10 the BBs fault. 1% I would argue its a good play of the DD. <---This is IMO the avg for every DD in the tier. IF he is a skilled DD driver the stats are a little better based on individual performance.

I am more inclined to think, he is playing the Yammie wrong. The Yammie is a powerful ships that requires limited mobility and out of range of HE spam in order to be effective (Not great or good but effective). Once you have good aim and you're feeling confident then venture in a little more.

The Yammie is a special ship that requires a lot of practice. Hopefully this helps.

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,656 posts
3,924 battles

Aye, vigilance skill.

Some peeps don't seem to see the need to differentiate a ranked captain build from a rando.

[TBW]
Members
6,399 posts
12,031 battles

In Ranked if you are a Yamoto alone against a DD and your team is not already ahead on points, there is not really a lot of choices.

1. Pray that the Captain is full potato.

2. Place head firmly between thighs and Kiss butt goodbye.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,827 posts
9,581 battles
8 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

Found the guy that sails in straight lines and doesn't play destroyers.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[NG-NL]
Members
5,016 posts
8,240 battles

Gearing or Shima running the 16km (20km) torps are the only two that can reliably torp you even if you turn to flee.

Against this opponent, best defense is experience as a high-tier torp DD. If you have good timing, know where the DD might go, and can guess when his torps reload by the timing of seeing his torps, then you can be a royal pain in the neck.

Better DD mains won't be fooled by your slows and random direction changes much.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,399 posts
12,031 battles

Panzerknacker seems to know how or at least Karl_Von_Knap.

It says you can get free doubloons for downloading his app too, I did not try it. It might be a EU thing.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
358 posts
5,154 battles

I, too, play BBs without ever using the A or D keys.

Down with destroyers! They sometimes hit me while I'm trying to snipe from max range! I should be able to spot anything and shoot at it for tons of damage!

[DANKY]
Members
498 posts
1,618 battles

Consider, on the other hand, that DD is hosed if he gets left alone with a Des Moines or Moskva. And imagine how that Des Moines or Moskva would feel being stuck one on one vs. you. 

Teamwork makes the world go round. Work with ships who can scare off that Gearing and do your best to keep them alive. 

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,825 posts
12,872 battles
8 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Found the guy that sails in straight lines and doesn't play destroyers.

No Kidding wow lol up vote for that !

^^^^ Coming from a guy who never (at point of this post) touched a DD. I think WOWS and the community are going to be more critical of you then the party you insulted due to your lack of experience in the class.

Members
358 posts
5,154 battles
11 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

No Kidding wow lol up vote for that !

^^^^ Coming from a guy who never (at point of this post) touched a DD. I think WOWS and the community are going to be more critical of you then the party you insulted due to your lack of experience in the class.

3000 Battleship games and not a single DD or CV. This is your average BB trash we're experiencing here. Be sure to thank them for such things as: any lowered citadels, the RN BB line, the destruction of the CV through rework, nerfing of IJN torps, the proliferation of massive empty maps with terrible design, etc.

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
6,399 posts
12,031 battles

If the battle was all DDs it would still be fair. There are the same number of ships of each type on each side. How they work together, determines who wins or loses.

• Cool 1

Members
723 posts
13 battles
20 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Gearing or Shima running the 16km (20km) torps are the only two that can reliably torp you even if you turn to flee.

Against this opponent, best defense is experience as a high-tier torp DD. If you have good timing, know where the DD might go, and can guess when his torps reload by the timing of seeing his torps, then you can be a royal pain in the neck.

Better DD mains won't be fooled by your slows and random direction changes much.

I second this. 

If you're in a BB and there's an enemy DD who knows what it's doing, good luck trying to get away without team support.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,825 posts
12,872 battles
2 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

, the destruction of the CV through rework,

^^^ mostly right however, I think the CV rework is WOWS lack of guidance in the "balance" dept. There are more cruisers with no fly zone Defense AA then BBs. In that regard at least IMO its WOWS fault in its decline. I hope they've learned to balance the class, if not its rework 3.0 of the reword of the original CV work lol.

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,648 battles

You could try getting a clue. 

To land high-alpha torp strikes, DDs are dependent on BB drivers being stupid. Yes, a good DD driver can pester BBs with canny predictions and well-placed torp salvoes, but rage-inducing instant deletions are rare unless a BB fails to take basic precautions. It sounds to me like you're one ofthe BBaby types that refuses to take basic countermeasures but rages because someone can scratch their paint.

• Cool 1

Members
638 posts
7,037 battles
10 hours ago, Steel_I said:

I am having a lot of problem dealing with high tier DD in a high tier BB like the yamato especially on a one to bases especially in rank battles.  Not so much on random battles maybe there are other ships around where I don't have to deal with the DD on a one to one bases.  Often I don't even see the DD just a hold bunch of torpedoes coming at me that I can avoid getting hit. 

Not so much a problem in lower tier random battles usually I see the DD fare enough away to put some distance form the DD and either avoid the torpedoes or destroy the DD before it gets me.  In tier 5 or 6 random battles I stand better then a 50/50 against a dd.  But in tier 10 rank battle I just get wipe out often don't even see them.

thanks

Well, as the guy who is trying to murder you:

Small course and speed changes usually means a miss. WASD hack every 20 to 30 seconds.

Keep the cruisers alive and nearby.

Do not go wandering off by yourself.

Do not hug islands, that's asking to be jumped.

Fly those spotter aircraft, they annoy the s.... out of me.

Good Luck.

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
2,052 posts
7,776 battles

Don't get hit by his torpedoes and you win, if he's spotted just shoot him. It's that easy. All T10 torpedoes take a minute or more to reach you, so as long as you don't sail into where they will be in a minute you will be safe. 

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,860 posts
6,855 battles
10 hours ago, Steel_I said:

thanks

Are you one of those yammys that sits going 1/4 speed forward and back while sitting bow on?  That's works only for so long as you friendlies in front of you for the dds to have to get past.  Once they're gone youre a sitting duck.

Likewise, if you're a yammy that pushes up, you need to zig and zag and vary your speed.  Don't tunnel vision on your target; sometimes it's better to turn and eat a salvo from the bb you're dueling (instead of staying angled to bounce his shells) if it means avoiding eating torps.

Most basic advice... If you don't know the location of the red dds, assume they're looking at you.  Turn on last known location for your mini map.  Always be aware of where enemy ships were last seen.

[SSU]
Members
344 posts
3,694 battles

Your best defense is to support your gun boats before they die. Sometimes your dds are just bad, but if you are close enough (how close do you need to be to land most of your shells into a destroyer? Answer varies.) to the destroyer knife fight you can tip the scales. It's a mirror match, keep your dds alive. If you trade your bb for a DD or two, I like your odds at a star.

Nothing worse than being a DD in a knife fight watching friending Montana's hurl salvos at the red yammy 18km away. Bbs have heal. Kill everything else first.