You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

Got my first legitimate Solo Warrior

12 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,826 battles

On my 1200th PvP game I finally got, legitimately, the last combat achievement I was missing, Solo Warrior.  On paper I had gotten one about 500-600 matches ago, but it wasn't legitimate, I snuck in the club's back door by having to bail on a match a minute or three into the game (still the only time I've done so) to deal with a toddler's tantrum, leaving my Kongo heading for the far side of the map at 30 knots only to come back half an hour later to find my AFK Kongo had gotten me the hardest to get Achievement.  Felt dirty about it really, and it was a bit of an insult that suggested not even playing could be an improvement over my skill level (not really, I've never been a 45%er), but last night I finally wiped the shame away.

I was about to call it a night, but saw I had 386k FXP and I had been saving to get Nelson.  For fun I made a quick post about whether or not to get her on the forums and after a few responses while I did some PvE in Acasta I went ahead a got her.  Filled out her module slots with standard durability options, premium consumables and durability, but not economic, flags and put my 19pt KGV Captain on her.  Maiden voyage was junk wherein I was on the losing side of a blowout and the guns weren't working for me.  I did 25k damage and got Dreadnought as a consolation prize.

The second game though, this was better.  I was middle Tier in a VI to VIII match on Two Brothers with my team spawning around the B cap.
TwoBrothers.jpg.0b1bf08225a8bd852758afff09ebe319.jpg
I was on the D cap side so I opted to head for D to support our ships there.  Other than getting First Blood on an Edinburgh that pushed to aggressively the early and mid game was nothing to write about, we took at early lead in caps, holding three at one point, and in kills being four up before the enemy scored a single kill, looked like it was heading to an easy win, then things started falling apart.  Our Bismarck on my flank pushed too hard and got focused down.  The problem I saw developing was that our two DDs on the D flank were very passive and the whole tempo was being driven by the enemy Benson and Jervis.  The enemy Benson took quite a bit of punishment and our DDs decided it was time to go for the kill and advanced into the enemy fire and between the two enemy DDs and the enemy's KGV and Bismarck both went down without taking anything with them, though one torpedoed the Bismarck fairly hard.  The enemy Bismarck was pushing too hard, that is how he got torpedoed, now well forward, broadside on and low health I finished him off for my second kill.  The enemy had now captured D cap, which we had held for a bit, and sunk everything we had on the A flank, but at the cost of all of their ships save a DD (I don't recall which, I never saw it), so a bloodbath, but the enemy had come back from a losing four before getting a single kill to having five ships to our two, my Nelson and a Bayern that was also on the D flank, and who sank the last enemy cruiser just as he sank. 

This left me against the enemy KGV and three DDs, but I didn't notice that until I'd sunk the KGV as I was focused on not giving too much broadside and watching for where the Benson and Jervis might be, I knew their general locations only.  The KGV had come around the top of the island at C9, which was good for us as all the enemy had to do to win from this point is stay alive while the third DD from A flank capped A and then B, but KGV was out of position and couldn't turn away from me.  He did get some good hits in, but he went down leaving me on about 12-15k health with one heal left, though it would only get me up to 24-25k if I used it, due the potential it had I held off  as long as I could.  I had been angled against the KGV and heading northeast towards the island at C9, but knowing there were two DDs in that general direction I turned away as fast as I could and began to kite away feeling that Nelson was too clumsy to avoid close range torpedo launches from multiple DDs, and I certainly didn't have the health to survive them.  I knew the third DD was in A cap because it was in the proccess of being flipped.  Now, the enemy DDs ought to have just bugged out and forced me to sail into their torpedoes or lose on points as the DD in A could proceed to B, and even if I prevented its capture our points lead probably wasn't enough to win without getting the points from owning B uncontested.  The Jervis saw things othewise, and given he was full health had some room to play and so started shooting me.  I returned fire, now using HE for the first time ever on Nelson, but his dodging was very effective, though I did push him back.  He did enough damage that I felt I had to use my final heal so as to be able to survive a torpedo hit if it happened.  As Jervis fell back the Benson made a critical error and opened fire on me.  As fast as I could I brought all nine guns to bear and, as he vanished, fired at his location, one shell found its mark and the Benson went down.  Jervis rejoined the action, but with the time remaining, even though we'd now lost even B cap there was simply nothing the DDs could do to sink me in the time remaining and while it was very close, seconds making the difference, the points gained/lost when the Benson sank put the enemy just out of reach and we won by 13 points.  I didn't realize until the results screen that the Bayern had gone down before the KGV, so the Solo Warrior was a surprise to go with the First Blood, Dreadnought and Fireproof.

NelsonSW.thumb.jpg.44f775a00a218e1a2f11c60f375173eb.jpg

• Cool 7

[VFW]
Members
938 posts
21,190 battles

There is no SOLO WARRIOR that is illegitimate.   Even if you didn't do much or anything, if you survived and got the win for the team...good on you for surviving and helping win the game.

vr, 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,826 battles
2 minutes ago, TexJapan said:

There is no SOLO WARRIOR that is illegitimate.   Even if you didn't do much or anything, if you survived and got the win for the team...good on you for surviving and helping win the game.

vr, 

Well, I'd like to think that it usually takes more than pointing a top tier battlecruiser/fast battleship at the opposite corner of the map and then doing nothing else.  My team obviously went far enough up on points before all being sunk and while fighting a ship down that the enemy team couldn't find and/or kill me before the timer ran out.  The majority of the time depriving your team of a ship at the start is going to stop your team from going up enough on points to enable that outcome.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles

There is only one thing to say.

6B2KxB1.jpg

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,558 battles
59 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

On my 1200th PvP game I finally got, legitimately, the last combat achievement I was missing, Solo Warrior.  On paper I had gotten one about 500-600 matches ago, but it wasn't legitimate, I snuck in the club's back door by having to bail on a match a minute or three into the game (still the only time I've done so) to deal with a toddler's tantrum, leaving my Kongo heading for the far side of the map at 30 knots only to come back half an hour later to find my AFK Kongo had gotten me the hardest to get Achievement.  Felt dirty about it really, and it was a bit of an insult that suggested not even playing could be an improvement over my skill level (not really, I've never been a 45%er), but last night I finally wiped the shame away.

I was about to call it a night, but saw I had 386k FXP and I had been saving to get Nelson.  For fun I made a quick post about whether or not to get her on the forums and after a few responses while I did some PvE in Acasta I went ahead a got her.  Filled out her module slots with standard durability options, premium consumables and durability, but not economic, flags and put my 19pt KGV Captain on her.  Maiden voyage was junk wherein I was on the losing side of a blowout and the guns weren't working for me.  I did 25k damage and got Dreadnought as a consolation prize.

The second game though, this was better.  I was middle Tier in a VI to VIII match on Two Brothers with my team spawning around the B cap.
TwoBrothers.jpg.0b1bf08225a8bd852758afff09ebe319.jpg
I was on the D cap side so I opted to head for D to support our ships there.  Other than getting First Blood on an Edinburgh that pushed to aggressively the early and mid game was nothing to write about, we took at early lead in caps, holding three at one point, and in kills being four up before the enemy scored a single kill, looked like it was heading to an easy win, then things started falling apart.  Our Bismarck on my flank pushed too hard and got focused down.  The problem I saw developing was that our two DDs on the D flank were very passive and the whole tempo was being driven by the enemy Benson and Jervis.  The enemy Benson took quite a bit of punishment and our DDs decided it was time to go for the kill and advanced into the enemy fire and between the two enemy DDs and the enemy's KGV and Bismarck both went down without taking anything with them, though one torpedoed the Bismarck fairly hard.  The enemy Bismarck was pushing too hard, that is how he got torpedoed, now well forward, broadside on and low health I finished him off for my second kill.  The enemy had now captured D cap, which we had held for a bit, and sunk everything we had on the A flank, but at the cost of all of their ships save a DD (I don't recall which, I never saw it), so a bloodbath, but the enemy had come back from a losing four before getting a single kill to having five ships to our two, my Nelson and a Bayern that was also on the D flank, and who sank the last enemy cruiser just as he sank. 

This left me against the enemy KGV and three DDs, but I didn't notice that until I'd sunk the KGV as I was focused on not giving too much broadside and watching for where the Benson and Jervis might be, I knew their general locations only.  The KGV had come around the top of the island at C9, which was good for us as all the enemy had to do to win from this point is stay alive while the third DD from A flank capped A and then B, but KGV was out of position and couldn't turn away from me.  He did get some good hits in, but he went down leaving me on about 12-15k health with one heal left, though it would only get me up to 24-25k if I used it, due the potential it had I held off  as long as I could.  I had been angled against the KGV and heading northeast towards the island at C9, but knowing there were two DDs in that general direction I turned away as fast as I could and began to kite away feeling that Nelson was too clumsy to avoid close range torpedo launches from multiple DDs, and I certainly didn't have the health to survive them.  I knew the third DD was in A cap because it was in the proccess of being flipped.  Now, the enemy DDs ought to have just bugged out and forced me to sail into their torpedoes or lose on points as the DD in A could proceed to B, and even if I prevented its capture our points lead probably wasn't enough to win without getting the points from owning B uncontested.  The Jervis saw things othewise, and given he was full health had some room to play and so started shooting me.  I returned fire, now using HE for the first time ever on Nelson, but his dodging was very effective, though I did push him back.  He did enough damage that I felt I had to use my final heal so as to be able to survive a torpedo hit if it happened.  As Jervis fell back the Benson made a critical error and opened fire on me.  As fast as I could I brought all nine guns to bear and, as he vanished, fired at his location, one shell found its mark and the Benson went down.  Jervis rejoined the action, but with the time remaining, even though we'd now lost even B cap there was simply nothing the DDs could do to sink me in the time remaining and while it was very close, seconds making the difference, the points gained/lost when the Benson sank put the enemy just out of reach and we won by 13 points.  I didn't realize until the results screen that the Bayern had gone down before the KGV, so the Solo Warrior was a surprise to go with the First Blood, Dreadnought and Fireproof.

NelsonSW.thumb.jpg.44f775a00a218e1a2f11c60f375173eb.jpg

Congrats, they're tough to get.

...and you should keep that Kongo story to yourself. You should revise it to some grueling ordeal where you were down to 1HP, against 4 full health Yamatos and managed to dodge all their shots as time ran out.

[VFW]
Members
938 posts
21,190 battles
53 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Well, I'd like to think that it usually takes more than pointing a top tier battlecruiser/fast battleship at the opposite corner of the map and then doing nothing else.  My team obviously went far enough up on points before all being sunk and while fighting a ship down that the enemy team couldn't find and/or kill me before the timer ran out.  The majority of the time depriving your team of a ship at the start is going to stop your team from going up enough on points to enable that outcome.

Well, most of the time it is skill and luck that gets the WIN...but sometimes it's just Dumb luck and derping your way to a Win.   

VR, 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,826 battles

I've had four incredibly close games in the last two weeks, two in ranked and two in randoms.  In three of them my team just barely avoided pulling defeat from the jaws of victory and in the other my team just managed to pull victory from the jaws of defeat.

In two of those matches there were recriminations in chat, and in one of the ranked matches it was a full on meltdown as some of the team asked why they had pushed when we had two of the three caps and could wait for them, when one response was "I like to get kills" it blew up about how that person had cost us all the game even though my Amagi was still afloat and fighting, and did in the end, thanks to the enemy Cleveland doing and unforced error, manage to eek out the win.

In a close game, don't give up, keep fighting and trying to pull it out somehow, someway.  Even if you're sunk and just spectating, urge your surviving teammates on to show their best.  In the battle I posted in the OP the sunk, but spectating teammate(s?) only said a single word while they watched, which was fine, and that was "Nice!" when I sank the Benson.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings.  It ain't over even when she is warming up for her set.

[RLGN]
Members
8,246 posts
17,263 battles
2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Well, I'd like to think that it usually takes more than pointing a top tier battlecruiser/fast battleship at the opposite corner of the map and then doing nothing else...

Don’t worry about it; you’re not alone for ‘Huh? Wut?’ Solo Warrior achievements.

Old T6 Cleveland on Neighbors, Standard Mode...

Guess I’ll head towards where A normally is with that battleship.

Oh; a destroyer... (shoots, one hit, destroyer never seen again... somewhere during this story the battleship sank...)

Look; the Greens and Reds are fighting between where C normally is and our cap; (North cap,) Rec cap looks empty...

Enters Red cap... Circling, circling...

”You are our last hope!”

WUT?!?

Full airstrike from Ryujo incoming.

Focused AA, DFAA, WASD; one torpedo hit; twelve planes down; DC activated.

Victory jingle...

WUT?!?

Solo Warrior: total damage taken: one torpedo hit; total damage scored: one shell hit, twelve planes shot down; and the cap.

Would have loved to see the Red team’s chat as the cap timer clicked down.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[ARGSY]
Members
6,274 posts
4,243 battles

Don't feel too bad, OP; my one and only Kraken was in my very first Random games when I was still the only human against baby seal bots. I have however got several more Confederates and a few High Calibres since then.

Have you seen Dunkirk?

Blind old soldier on dock to evacuee soldier: "Well done."

Evacuee: "All we did was survive."

Blind old soldier: "That's good enough."

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,244 posts
1,826 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Don't feel too bad, OP; my one and only Kraken was in my very first Random games when I was still the only human against baby seal bots. I have however got several more Confederates and a few High Calibres since then.

Have you seen Dunkirk?

Blind old soldier on dock to evacuee soldier: "Well done."

Evacuee: "All we did was survive."

Blind old soldier: "That's good enough."

Oh, this one I did more than survive, I scored the points needed to give us the win as well as survive.

As for Krakens, they are hard to get too.  I have three of those, though only two credited as one happened using Furutaka in Closed Beta.  The others were both using Tier VI ships, one with the Dunkerque and the other with the Leander.