You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
vak_

Survey: What MatchMaking spread would you prefer to see in WoWS?

What MatchMaking spread would you prefer?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. What MatchMaking spread would you prefer?

• ±1 tier
    • ±2 tier
    • Bacon

73 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles

I would like to gauge people's opinion regarding the MM spread. Don't vote on what you believe might be better for new players, etc. Vote for the MM that you personally would prefer to have.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,107 battles

Going with Bacon, cause there are some areas and scenario's that maybe need to be +/- 1. However ideally, I'd rather see some of the power gaps closed so that being -2 in a match does not make you bang your head on a wall. 

• Cool 3

[SBS]
Members
2,475 posts
2,253 battles

I wonder how many people will vote +/-2 that don't have many thousands of games under their belt? 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

+/-10 matchmaking please

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SIMP]
Members
832 posts
8,453 battles
29 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I would like to gauge people's opinion regarding the MM spread. Don't vote on what you believe might be better for new players, etc. Vote for the MM that you personally would prefer to have.

Invalid poll - you need single tier as an option

[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,524 battles
12 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I wonder how many people will vote +/-2 that don't have many thousands of games under their belt? 

How do you think we got so many games under our belts? Then again, the ships I play the most outpour just fine. When you are bottom tier it is easier to get XP.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,707 posts
8,132 battles
33 minutes ago, vak_ said:

If it was up to me it would be +3mm

• Bad 1

Beta Testers
162 posts
9,913 battles

I sometimes wonder whether people understand what ±1 tier means?

Right now we have ±1 (+1 and -1 = 2 tiers).  That means a tier 7 ship can be in a

7 - 9 match

6 - 8 match

5 - 7 match

A ±2 tier means the total spread is +2 and -2 = 4 tiers. (a tier 5 ship could see a tier 9 ship)

What people, and probably you too, really mean and want to see is +1 OR -1. A tier 6 ship can only be in a

6 - 7 match

OR

5 - 6 match

(or possibly a all tier 6 match)

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,524 battles

I'm afraid +1 or -1 would be boring since the ship option would be greatly reduced. If you played a certain ship, you would be always facing the same smaller pool of ships.

Edited by DustRhino
  • Cool 1

[FBXGC]
Members
118 posts
1,567 battles

I think it largley depends on the individual ship(Class/Nation). Sometimes the +/-2 doesn't seem like a big deal and sometimes it is devastating. Also, the tier spread in +/-2  is important. One or two t8's in an otherwise t10 game without even the presence of t9's is pretty brutal.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

Should be an option for 0+_ also. Though frankly, I'd be really bored with that. Ranked is good for that. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,587 posts
25,712 battles
16 hours ago, DustRhino said:

I'm afraid +1 or -1 would be boring since the ship option would be greatly reduced. If you played a certain ship, you would be always facing the same smaller pool of ships.

Many people think this, but it is wrong. Most players have ships they dont play because they don't uptier two tiers well, and entire tiers, like 5 and 8, are simply less played. For example, I reduced T8 play because I got tiered of being uptiered all the time (until now I don't play T8-10 at all). I also have a long list of ships I don't play, like Murmansk, Marblehead, and Texas, because T5s are de facto T7s.

The constant uptiering actually reduces ship variety. With one tier spread many ships that are port queens now become viable. 

[RST]
[RST]
Members
171 posts
14,927 battles

I am fine with the current MM settings. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,432 posts
3,875 battles

Please vote for the presented options. Bacon acts as an abstain.

Saying other ridiculous matchmaking spreads is just trolling, guys.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,650 posts
9,052 battles
11 minutes ago, Nergy said:

Right now we have ±1 (+1 and -1 = 2 tiers).  That means a tier 7 ship can be in a

7 - 9 match

6 - 8 match

5 - 7 match

A ±2 tier means the total spread is +2 and -2 = 4 tiers. (a tier 5 ship could see a tier 9 ship)

What people, and probably you too, really mean and want to see is +1 OR -1. A tier 6 ship can only be in a

6 - 7 match

OR

5 - 6 match

Actually +/- 2 means plus or minus 2 tiers maximum.

This is our current match maker tier spreads.

tier tiers seen   tiers in a match
1 - 1              one tier max
2 - 2,3            two tiers max
3 - 2,3,4               "
4 - 3,4,5               "
5 - 4,5,6,7        three tiers max                 
6 - 5,6,7,8             "
7 - 5,6,7,8,9           "
8 - 6,7,8,9,10          "
9 - 7,8,9,10            "
10 - 8,9,10             "

9 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

+/-3 like from OBT, it was fun fighting NCs in my Kongo back then

Along with being historical, USS Washington vs the IJN Kirishima although that was like Ali vs a middleweight in a phone booth. I actually did better WR wise with that MM than with the three tier MM, go figure.

4 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Many people think this, but it is wrong. Most players have ships they dont play because they don't uptier two tiers well, and entire tiers, like 5 and 8, are simply less played. For example, I reduced T8 play because I got tiered of being uptiered all the time (until now I don't play T8-10 at all). I also have a long list of ships I don't play, like Murmansk, Marblehead, and Texas, because T5s are de facto T7s.

The constant uptiering actually reduces ship variety. With one tier spread many ships that are port queens now become viable. 

The ships that don't up tier well can and should be addressed individually because on the flip side there are ships that up tier extremely well that would then perform even better in a two tier environment. Look what happened to the Nikolai when the MM was changed for tiers 1 - 4, it was over performing when it could see tier 6.

Beta Testers
162 posts
9,913 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:
34 minutes ago, Nergy said:

7 - 9 match

6 - 8 match

5 - 7 match

6 - 7 match

OR

5 - 6 match

Actually +/- 2 means plus or minus 2 tiers maximum.

This is our current match maker tier spreads.

The option was given as ±1 tier ..

Ex. a 100 ohm resistor ±10% means it can be 100 + 10 and 100 - 10. so 110 to 90. a spread of 20.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,650 posts
9,052 battles
2 minutes ago, Nergy said:

The option was given as ±1 tier ..

Ex. a 100 ohm resistor ±10% means it can be 100 + 10 and 100 - 10. so 110 to 90. a spread of 20.

WoWS is not electronics, the way it is used here is different, +/- 1 is two tier matches, +/- 2 is three tier matches. Back in alpha we used a +/- 3 MM with four tier matches.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,414 posts
9,548 battles

Where is the +3/-3 ?

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
2,475 posts
2,253 battles
35 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

How do you think we got so many games under our belts? Then again, the ships I play the most outpour just fine. When you are bottom tier it is easier to get XP.

Yes, for the guy with almost 7k games behind him.  The guy in his first, stock T8, it most certainly isn't.