Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

Time for Tier VI Premium Mutsu to get Type 91 AP shells?

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles

Is it time for Mutsu to get Type 91 AP shell access that she's always been denied?  This was a complaint for me about this ship since her Previews came out.  However, recent developments have compelled me to ask this again, namely the WiP Premium Tier VI USN BB, West Virginia.

WV's Devblog Post:

WoWS Wiki Entry:  Tier VII ColoradoTier VI Mutsu.

Mutsu getting Type 91 will balance out between the two.  Both are "Big 7" Battleship members.  Mutsu has better HP but WV will have concealment better than Caesar.  If you compare WV's gun stats to Colorado's, you'll note that except in Sigma (CO 1.9, WV and Mutsu 1.8) and Range, WV has the same guns, shells.

Type 91 AP will of course let Mutsu deal with Tier VII-VIII heavy armor threats better.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,860 battles

You forgot those OP torps she already has :cap_popcorn:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[MOH]
Members
239 posts
1,264 battles

It's always interesting to look at the stats of premium versions of their tech-tree counterparts.  Statistically, the Iowa is fairly poor performing ship, and I personally did not like playing it.  Even T8 ships experience higher average damages and win rates.  But the Missouri, even though it's exactly the same ship (just with radar instead of sea plane), performs reasonably well.  It just goes to show that the people who enjoyed playing the Colorado and did well with it will probably be the ones who play the West Virginia.  Few examples of near-same ships.

• New Mexico --> Arizona = 20% higher average damage for the Arizona, ~33% better kill/death ratio
  • North Carolina --> Alabama = 8% higher average damage for the Alabama, ~13% better kill/death ratio
  • New York --> Texas = ~20% higher average damage for the Texas, much better kill/death ratio
  • The T7 Ashitaka is a down-tiered version of the T8 Amagi, and performs pretty well for T7. 

I didn't compare the Bismarck and Tirpitz, and I'm sure ya'll know why, haha.  I think the West Virginia will be a penetration and overmatch monster at T6, but the Colorado performs so poorly at T7 that it may just be an average T6 ship.  I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Actually, it's kinda funny, but when you look at the numbers, it actually looks like the T7 Colorado performs in line with its T6 counterparts.  Ouch!

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ships/

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,860 battles

Uggh, I got a downvote.

OK, I will express my true opinion then.  Honestly, no.

The Mutsu is a fun, unique ship as it is.  WG just gave Ashitika a little buff by providing the upgraded shells and frankly she went from UP to borderline OP.  Ashitika arguably needed them as the shells (the same ones complained about in this posting) are very painful at T9.  That said, she now shreds T5 ships.  Mutsu, who sees low tier more then Ashitika, definitely does NOT need those.  T8 will still be painful; but it was at least not the monsters of T9.

Frankly, I half expect WG to do a nerf to Ashitika at this point in reference to MM and shield T5 from her.

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles

If those upgraded shells came with improved penetration, I'm not at all sure that that would be a good idea.  As it is now, it seems like the Mutsu gets a lot of overpens when facing tier 5 and 6 cruisers.  God forbid you're armed with AP shells with even more penetration.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles
7 hours ago, Crucis said:

If those upgraded shells came with improved penetration, I'm not at all sure that that would be a good idea.  As it is now, it seems like the Mutsu gets a lot of overpens when facing tier 5 and 6 cruisers.  God forbid you're armed with AP shells with even more penetration.

The problem isn't Tier V-VI Cruisers.  The problem is the Tier VII-VIII threats she sees most of the time.

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles
11 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The problem isn't Tier V-VI Cruisers.  The problem is the Tier VII-VIII threats she sees most of the time.

I disagree.  Both sides of the equation are relevant.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles
6 hours ago, Crucis said:

I disagree.  Both sides of the equation are relevant.

It's still easy to delete those Tier V-VI Cruisers just fine.  But punching some of the armor of those higher tier BBs will be a problem.  Omaha, Dallas isn't the problem.  It's the Tier VII+ BBs.

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles
19 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's still easy to delete those Tier V-VI Cruisers just fine.  But punching some of the armor of those higher tier BBs will be a problem.  Omaha, Dallas isn't the problem.  It's the Tier VII+ BBs.

I can't agree.  It's freaking annoying to send volley after volley at cruisers only to have the constantly overpen, even on the best aimed and RNG guided hits.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,122 posts
14,519 battles
On 25.09.2018 at 11:56 PM, Ranari said:

It's always interesting to look at the stats of premium versions of their tech-tree counterparts.  Statistically, the Iowa is fairly poor performing ship, and I personally did not like playing it.  Even T8 ships experience higher average damages and win rates.  But the Missouri, even though it's exactly the same ship (just with radar instead of sea plane), performs reasonably well.  It just goes to show that the people who enjoyed playing the Colorado and did well with it will probably be the ones who play the West Virginia.  Few examples of near-same ships.

• New Mexico --> Arizona = 20% higher average damage for the Arizona, ~33% better kill/death ratio
  • North Carolina --> Alabama = 8% higher average damage for the Alabama, ~13% better kill/death ratio
  • New York --> Texas = ~20% higher average damage for the Texas, much better kill/death ratio
  • The T7 Ashitaka is a down-tiered version of the T8 Amagi, and performs pretty well for T7. 

I didn't compare the Bismarck and Tirpitz, and I'm sure ya'll know why, haha.  I think the West Virginia will be a penetration and overmatch monster at T6, but the Colorado performs so poorly at T7 that it may just be an average T6 ship.  I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Actually, it's kinda funny, but when you look at the numbers, it actually looks like the T7 Colorado performs in line with its T6 counterparts.  Ouch!

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ships/

You should have seen Colorado before she had the sigma, HP buffs like it was at Launch.  In the old days, it used to be a +/-3 tier and I still remember to this day having to fight Yamato when she still had Mega Healz and I had a Pre-Buff, Stock Colorado.  Oh, and Stealth Fire was in, Zao was the Queen of that, IJN DDs were at their highest level of power.  With Stealth Fire, DDs took AFT to use that mechanic.  DDs like Fletcher, Gearing were melting people through that mechanic with their guns.  3 Shima Divisions walling off the map.  Midway had Tier X planes with 2 TBs, and jets.  Colorado faced all that, before receiving any buffs.

There's 3 Colorado events I clearly remember still.

I ambushed a Yamato around an island in "Islands of Ice" map with Colorado.  Yamato's guns were facing away, shooting at someone else.  I fire and Colorado's terrible accuracy even in short range, I missed except for one shot flying through the superstructure at 4km for an Overpen.  Yamato quickly turned away, started speeding away, and SLOWLY was swinging the guns around.  I gave chase to try to desperately ram but Colorado is just too d*mn slow.  Firing the guns at this angle against Yamato was pointless.  Yamato was kiting me and gaining separation, while the guns SLOWLY turned my way.  I still remember the Yamato player messing with me on Match Chat, "I know you didn't just fire those POS guns at me, right?"  When the guns swung to me, it was over.

Another instance was in a losing effort.  I was the last ship of my group trying to flee to the remaining teammates.  However, I had an Ibuki and Zao chasing me, using Stealth Fire.  Nothing I could do.  I can't run them down, I can't run away, I can't see them.

Also, one of my first Colorado experiences, since CO was my very first Tier VII ship, was running into a Myoko.  I never knew that you could have 4 fires burning on you at the same time.  Myoko was the first ship to show that to me as she lit my CO from bow to stern.  My DCP was on cooldown because I used it early like the scrub I was.  I was totally ******.

[DAKI]
Members
187 posts
7,384 battles

Ideally I would like this ship to be renamed and we get a proper T7 premo Mutsu but getting the buffed shells or just better accuracy would help her a lot.

Beta Testers
1,329 posts
3,591 battles

I think giving the AP shell buff should happen along iwth any other necessary buffs to make this ship competitive if it needs them. Where are the folks that want ISE class?

Sign in to follow this