You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CAPTMUDDXX

New Garbage A. I. Rebuttal Praise

42 comments in this topic

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

It is said that the updated co op bot AI is Garbage! I dispute this.  The community has asked many times for the Co op AI to be improved to be more challenging and a bit less predictable. The developers have made positive strides on our request. In some but not all instances the AI both opponent and team fill ins now perform in almost human ways. I have found lately that they actually attempt to and in some instances win decisively! 

So go ahead feel free to gripe ya back side off till it is raw! Don't bother actually asking the developers to improve the AI anymore than they already have! 

Oh by the way all you negative nellies with your down votes please feel free to waste them here! 

I have also asked the developers to make a statement concerning this subject and to particular address the concerns of a few that the AI Co op bots are specifically programed to cheat!

• Cool 7
  • Bad 8

[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
3 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

The community has asked many times for the Co op AI to be improved to be more challenging and a bit less predictable.

They certainly delivered, although acting on your torps and knowing the launch angle and speed the minute they leave your ship is something which in a human player would require the use of forbidden insta-ban hacks.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
9,980 posts
6 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

It is said that the updated co op bot AI is Garbage! I dispute this.  The community has asked many times for the Co op AI to be improved to be more challenging and a bit less predictable. The developers have made positive strides on our request. In some but not all instances the AI both opponent and team fill ins now perform in almost human ways. I have found lately that they actually attempt to and in some instances win decisively! 

So go ahead feel free to gripe ya back side off till it is raw! Don't bother actually asking the developers to improve the AI anymore than they already have! 

So, where are these threadnaughts demanding better AI in co-op? :Smile_teethhappy:

And perhaps you simply forgot, but the vast majority of players in this game NEVER come to the forums, and I doubt a single casual player was asking for better bot AI.

Personally I'd be fine with better AI, if they took away the bot's 100% battle field vision cheat....:cap_cool:

• Funny 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu I have sank many an AI bot that apparently did not get that line of code in their programming. So cut them so slack in their programming since without out it they would just be static target dummies!

• Bad 1

[RNG]
Members
277 posts
2,538 battles
5 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

When I play co-op, I'm doing it to have fun clubbing bots, blowing crapup.  I'm stressed or bored or don't have time for a random battle.

The current bots, from what I've heard, completely mess up that atmosphere.  It sounds like they're too good and it's harder to just relax and get away from the intensity of PvP.  Plus apparently they run away WAY too much, which makes the new co-op much less enjoyable for what many people enjoy about it.  

If the bots are going to perform at a higher level, higher than your average potato it would seem, at the least the rewards should be increased.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
332 posts
4,659 battles

If you got sunk or outplayed by AI bote, you need to

puts sunglasses on

Git gud.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3
  • Angry 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

@awiggin nothing more than your usual stick in the mud AI Bots programmed to cheat spiel! If you have a code in mind to do away with that and still have them function then please reveal it!

• Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

@TheBeefKid how many times in a co op battle has any bot grieved you in chat? So what if they run away from time to time! Full HP humans do it more often than not in any battle mode! 

• Bad 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

@cavscout1739 if you play poorly/stupidly enough you should expect to get sunk in any battle mode. Survival in those instances is just pure luck!

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
21 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I like the new battle AI and as long it is not every co-op battle, it is great.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

@Kizarvexis they do seem to change it up randomly and difficulty increases with tier! The scenario AI bots appear to have the greatest benefit!

• Bad 1

Members
9,980 posts
3 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@awiggin nothing more than your usual stick in the mud AI Bots programmed to cheat spiel! If you have a code in mind to do away with that and still have them function then please reveal it!

So, I noticed you ignored the threadnaught comment....can't come up with any actual proof that there is an outcry for better AI?:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

@awiggin I did not ignore it at all! I for one have ask for it directly to the WG folks and the developers as far back as 2015. If you are so concerned about that point do the research yourself and prove my observation wrong! 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
27 minutes ago, awiggin said:

So, where are these threadnaughts demanding better AI in co-op? :Smile_teethhappy:

And perhaps you simply forgot, but the vast majority of players in this game NEVER come to the forums, and I doubt a single casual player was asking for better bot AI.

Personally I'd be fine with better AI, if they took away the bot's 100% battle field vision cheat....:cap_cool:

I for one asked for better bots. Just don't replace all the bots with better bots so that new players that come in can learn too.

Members
561 posts
2,102 battles

If they still focus fire ships 20k away when several others are within 8k then they still need work as far as I'm concerned.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
32 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

So cut them so slack in their programming since without out it they would just be static target dummies!

I would rather a tactically aware boat that is slightly easier to torp.

This being said, the current state of play (bots still occasionally stupid) makes for fun adrenaline-rush* YOLO runs in new UK destroyers, either jumping out of smokescreen cover or accompanying a friendly battleship that acts as a distraction before dropping a quartet of fish far too close for the bot to do anything but oil its pants and die screaming.

* = in the metabolic sense, rather than the game-skill sense

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

@Krupp_Sabot I haven't noticed so much of that lately but then again human players ie BB campers do that quite often. The Bot CVs though do appear to be more intent on finding and sinking the opposing CV than stopping capping or aiding the other team mate ships. When they do attack other ships they will waste planes vs heavy AA repeatedly.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu yes they still do stupid but so do human players. Yes I have noticed the torp dodge prowess but we can learn from it and expect a quick dodge and maybe put a spread on the way to both right and left that also covers the center line!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,414 posts
9,604 battles

Want to see how good AI bots are? Take your Sims into a training room against two Rangers. Or better yet, take your Yamato in against 4 bot Umikazes. Set them to 'armed', 'moving', and AI level to 'Oh no.. I am going to die very painfully'.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,885 posts
12,627 battles

@AVR_Project I have never tried the training room but if it has level of difficulty functions then that is great. Co op battles do not have such a function and without improved AI bot programming co op battles get stale quite quickly just as they did early on in 2015. 

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles
44 minutes ago, awiggin said:

So, I noticed you ignored the threadnaught comment....can't come up with any actual proof that there is an outcry for better AI?:Smile_teethhappy:

Yes.  Every time you and others denigrate the quality of play in Co-op, you're asking for better AI.  Well, guess what, WG listened.

While it pains me a little to agree with @CAPTMUDDXX, I do.  The AI is better all around.  Initially I didn't realize that the opponent profile differs from battle to battle.  Last night I played a bunch of Co-op div'd with some quite knowledgeable guys who pointed out how to identify the behavior profiles early on.  There seems to be about a 50/50 split between the two main profile types - yolo and cluster.  Both main profiles seem to have elements of the other to greater or lesser degree.  IMO, Co-op play has improved considerably.

Members
1,866 posts

The bots are somewhat more interesting now. The bots were so stupid a few destroyers could usually take care of them. Now they at least think a little. I don't believe the new bots are cheating on torpedoes. They simply make frequent course changes like a human player, without waiting to see the torpedoes. Notice that the co-op mains with lots of battles are generally unfazed by the change. If you're struggling with the new bots, as some are, you need to step up your game. In most PVE games, lack of bot intelligence is compensated by making your computer opponents more numerous or more powerful. But here, the bots were designed for training purposes only, and only in the later operations did we see more numerous opponents. Now with the new AI, co-op battles better approximate the game as designed, with strategy and tactics, instead of a mindless turkey shoot. I think Warships will lose a few players over this, because it's not as simple as before. They're going to weed out some players who are losing. When I do co-op now, I can count on a part of my team being sunk, and I will need to sink several bots for the win.

• Bad 1