You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Flamu's WIP Review of Daring - the Mini-taur

67 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,963 battles

WIP Review of the latest Daring iteration

So:

1. Cruiser Acceleration and  energy conservation

2. 360 degree gun arcs

3. 35 knot top speed

4. 24.8k HP

5.  Now with hydro and heal consumables

6. 5.7 km concealment

7. AP all the away - 19mm needed to fuse. Max 2.5 sec reload time USN CA penetration angles. Range 12.8 km. The only reason to use HE is to set things on fire. This removes the need for IFHE.

So if they keep  this iteration as is, expect a nerf 3 months after introduction. i wouldn't mind using it in ranked or CB.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles

it will be a soft nerf,just like conqueror.

[YOHB]
Members
61 posts
1,832 battles

You'd still need to use HE vs properly angled boats.

I know people really really respect Flamu and his opinions, but I was in a match yesterday and our DM was shooting nothing but AP the entire match, even when it was having no effect, when I asked why he did not switch to HE to finish off a Tirpitz that he could have easily killed with it, his answer was "Flamu recommends AP for the DM"

Edited by Faygo_Redpop
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles

Now that the Black Swan no longer has British AP, the name is entirely appropriate for this ship. I'm already at the Neptune in cruisers, but this is the first line I've seen that really interests me in going all the way to Tier 10.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
4 minutes ago, Faygo_Redpop said:

I know people really really respect Flamu and his opinions, but I was in a match yesterday and our DM was shooting nothing but AP the entire match, even when it was having no effect, when I asked why he did not switch to HE to finish off a Tirpitz that he could have easily killed with it, his answer was "Flamu recommends AP for the DM"

Pretty sure that player only understood half of it... Hasn't much to do with Flamu itself, or is he the leader of the potato pack. I don't follow him, but I assume he has some game knowledge.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
7 minutes ago, Faygo_Redpop said:

I know people really really respect Flamu and his opinions, but I was in a match yesterday and our DM was shooting nothing but AP the entire match, even when it was having no effect, when I asked shy he did not switch to HE to finish off a Tirpitz that he could have easily killed with HE, his answer was "Flamu recommends AP for the DM"

There is respect and then there is slavish copying. One of the things that makes Flamu a unicum is knowing when the rules have to be broken, which goes to two movie quotes I often keep in mind:

Captain Kirk to Lt. Saavik, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. "You have to learn WHY things work on a Starship." The reason behind the rules in the first place.

Peter Venkman to the possessed Dana Barratt/Zuul, in the original Ghostbusters: "Actually, it's more of a guideline than a rule."

It's also the reason I distrust rigid operating protocols in any organisation (i.e. those whose transgression invites automatic censure).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,963 battles
3 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Pretty sure that player only understood half of it... Hasn't much to do with Flamu itself, or is he the leader of the potato pack. I don't follow him, but I assume he has some game knowledge.

To quote a comic book character, "His arrogance has the mass of a small planetoid.." But you can't fault his technical analysis or gameplay.  

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles
35 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Not really worthy of anything in CB. It doesnt fit a role in CB that isnt already better filled.  

Honestly speaking, its a pub stomper plain and simple. The moment a target with half a brain (something sorely lacking in this video)  actually respects the daring, shes neutered. 

If i had targets like in that video in ANY Destroyer. I would be experiencing the same success.  

Members
154 posts
6,525 battles
23 minutes ago, Faygo_Redpop said:

I've watched most of Flamu's videos and I'm thinking the guy missed the part where Flamu made it clear (not quoting verbatim) that DM should use AP against BBs inside 10km if they're presenting broadside.  Which is true, you can do massive amounts of damage to broadside BBs with DMs AP, but if they're angled you need to switch to AP.

Not Flamu's fault, people need to pay attention and listen more closely to what he's saying.

Members
855 posts
3,587 battles

I feel like this one will get called OP first few weeks and then it will settle down just like the haragumo when the weaknesses showup.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,270 posts
9,104 battles

Considering how gimmicky the Royal Navy cruisers and battleships are, is anyone really surprised that the DD line is full of gimmicks too?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,832 posts
9,582 battles
19 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

If i had targets like in that video in ANY Destroyer. I would be experiencing the same success.  

Hell. A fail-division Clemson would have a decent game with enemies like that. 

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

Hell. A fail-division Clemson would have a decent game with enemies like that. 

Exactly, its like ofcourse short fused AP is going to work well on broadside or slightly broadside  Destroyers. 

Its the same situation with the Min, its like destroyer captains forget that all you need to do vs a min is just give it a nice angle and voila. Shes no longer doing damage to you... I open water fire at Mins all the time in Destroyers from within 10km cause I know if i keep an angle I can just take very little damage.. 

Now does this mean the Daring is a bad ship? Naa shes gonna be strong. However this will be a pub stomping ship that will excel in situations were mistakes are commonly made. Not in high pressure situations were every little inch needs to be fought with tooth and  nail a la CB. 

[LANCE]
Members
307 posts
3,253 battles

I watch all of Flamu’s and other CC’s videos. They are great for ideas, advice etc, etc. The thing to remember and what some seem to miss is that most these guys are unicum players. In the hands of your regular player the OP ships aren’t always so OP .... my Belfast for example. The Daring has some pretty good utilities and perhaps is OP but I’d imagine the amount of players that can use this to its maximum potential will be pretty slim.

My point is that just because a couple of exceptional players show how “Op” a ship is, don’t expect it to be an “I win” or “OP” ship when you see it in randoms. So calls for nerf’s already may be a bit preemptive.

Just my $0.02

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles
59 minutes ago, Faygo_Redpop said:

Just because someone references someone doesn't mean thats what that reference stated.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,570 posts
3,751 battles

I watch Flamu quite often, while knowing at times he tends to exaggerate (Asashio anyone?).

In this specific video however he makes quite a few valid points. 

The power creep is part of the game and expected to some extent. what saddens me personally is how again and time again tech tree RN ships will be the gimmicky ones. This gimmick race has to stop at some point, it's just getting out of hand and I'm sure it will be an obstacle in the future to WG's plans.

Edited by warheart1992

Beta Testers
848 posts
5,984 battles

While some like to state that the teams in his videos are bad so anybody could do what he does in those situations, if you watch his stream, you'll see that he does what he does quite often despite the teams. He's pretty darn consistent as a player and his gameplay mechanics knowledge is on-point. 

Anyways, the Daring looks interesting. I'm sure a lot of people will say "meh" to it since that seems to be the current go-to for the forums, but I think it could be a pretty fun ship.

People complain when all the DDs perform similarly, but then also complain when they are given gimmicks/traits out of the ordinary to make them different. It seems WG can't do anything to please people. lol

• Cool 1

[UEFN]
Members
388 posts
11,701 battles

This abomination of a Daring is everything the Z-52 should have been, there is practically zero reason to bring out the Z when the Daring does everything better, more effective AP and faster reload, usable torps and hydro, with heal, good concealment, and doesn't handle like a garbage truck.  It literally kicked the Z52 to the curb except max speed to chase down other DD, but then you wouldn't have to chase them when you could murdered them quickly.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,661 posts
25,715 battles
Just now, Xcalib3r said:

This abomination of a Daring is everything the Z-52 should have been, there is practically zero reason to bring out the Z when the Daring does everything better, more effective AP and faster reload, usable torps and hydro, with heal, good concealment, and doesn't handle like a garbage truck.  It literally kicked the Z52 to the curb except max speed to chase down other DD, but then you wouldn't have to chase them when you could murdered them quickly.

Unfortunate but true.

And let's not talk about the Shima. Dead.

A nerf is needed.

Beta Testers
848 posts
5,984 battles
3 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

The Z-52 does have better Hydro and gun velocity though. It's also faster. I feel like the Daring has a lot going for it, maybe even a little too much, but that speed really hurts it. With it's lower gun velocity you can't really bombard effectively from range which means getting in closer and really hurting your ability to extend. I would imagine that's why the Heal was added. 

We often forget that there are probably quite a few Super Testers, so these changes may be the result of a stream reports from players at different levels.  

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
1 hour ago, Faygo_Redpop said:

I very much suspect that anecdote says more about that DM player's flawed interpretation or understanding of Flamu's statements on the topic than what Flamu actually said. There are plenty of things Flamu does himself that merit critique. What some random dumb DM player allegedly claimed in game chat that Flamu allegedly recommended to defend said dumb DM player's own choices has nothing really to do with Flamu.

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
326 posts
31 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There is respect and then there is slavish copying. One of the things that makes Flamu a unicum is knowing when the rules have to be broken, which goes to two movie quotes I often keep in mind:

Captain Kirk to Lt. Saavik, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. "You have to learn WHY things work on a Starship." The reason behind the rules in the first place.

Peter Venkman to the possessed Dana Barratt/Zuul, in the original Ghostbusters: "Actually, it's more of a guideline than a rule."

It's also the reason I distrust rigid operating protocols in any organisation (i.e. those whose transgression invites automatic censure).

If it is a rule, then breaking it is automatically a bad thing. Without rules than there would be no order.  

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
15 minutes ago, Theokolese said:

If it is a rule, then breaking it is automatically a bad thing. Without rules than there would be no order.  

I think you're taking this far too literally and/or applying an in-game context to a wider one inappropriately.

[IRISH]
Members
364 posts
7,192 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

U must not work in Corporate!!!!

:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy:

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,994 posts
5,923 battles

I was honestly pretty done with gimmicks more than a year ago, yet here we are shoving another line of nothing but gimmicks.

• Cool 1