You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rafinesque

Ever Been Assigned a Random Game of 3 on 3? - Happened to me!

12 comments in this topic

Members
35 posts
7,182 battles

Playing random games in my Hipper (T8 Heavy Cruiser) a few days ago when the matchmaker assigned me to a game of three on three!  Both teams had a Midway (T10 Carrier) and a Des Moines (T10 Heavy Cruiser).  My opposite, however, was the USS Alabama, a premium T8 Battleship.  The enemy carrier beat us by taking out our carrier in  a couple of strikes.  The Des Moines and I sank both their gunships (although the Alabama went down to a last ditch ramming).  Leaving me with scant health, the enemy Midway easily took me out.  

Is this ridiculous matchmaking, or what?  Was an intense game which really emphasizes one of the key realities of the game: the opening moves can have an enormous impact on the overall game.  My Hipper was configured as a AAA ship, and in retrospect I should have steamed straight for our CV to cover him from any initial air strike.  But instead, I linked up with our Des Moines and headed south to engage enemy gunboats.  Sorry I don't have a replay to show, only a screenshot of the results screen.

5baa4bcf60ea2_SIxShipRandomBattleWoW.thumb.jpg.01b593d8e94d065dacec4b84d3e78e24.jpg

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
270 posts
3,689 battles

i got 3 dd a side very odd but happens

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles

Late at night in Tier 1 it can happen, and also on the Public Test Server where the population is much lower. I've been in a PTS Randoms 2v2 which my side barely won and a 1v1 where we killed each other by ramming (both driving Black Swans).

[-SF-]
Members
120 posts
2,366 battles

Had a 1v1tier 2 DD battle just two weeks ago 

Edited by Ashy_GB

[YOHB]
Members
61 posts
1,832 battles

Typically it's because a carrier or carriers sit in the queue until the 5 min mark, then it just forces a match with no regard to players, or class balancing

• Cool 1

[MWM]
Supertester
277 posts
4,573 battles

I have had a few matches like that but normally late at night mid week. They can be really fun as it becomes more a matter of chess with guns, good tactics are key when you get into a match like that.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,032 posts
5,285 battles

This is a case of the carriers staying in matchmaking too long. I know there is a 5 minute limit to matchmaking so you theoretically should just stick out the whole 5 to get a game, but these people are being jerks and are forcing people like you into ridiculous scenarios like that by not cycling their matchmaking que.

• Cool 1

[SEAKT]
Members
15 posts
8,561 battles

Sometime back last year, I was in a 5 on 5. Happens. Don't remember the time of day.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,597 posts
9,000 battles

Que dump and since there are CV's one of them sat in queue until another showed up and it took at least five minutes for that to happen. As far as queue dumps go the OP's is relatively balanced, I have seen far worse. CV queue dumps can happen at any time of the day but the ones during prime time are not usually unbalanced. CV players should step out of the queue before the five minute mark and re-queue to avoid the dumps, they will still get their matches and they won't be screwing up the other players play.