You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

Ever have an unexpected favorite ship?

38 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles

Has anyone ever had a ship that they 'had' to get in order to move on to the ship they 'really' wanted?

I used to hate playing my Bretagne. It was slow at everything -speed, turret rotation, reloading.

But over time as I tweaked the commander and other elements I cam to really appreciate it. She became a dependable performing ship with me. She's was tough with torpedo hits and when all shells hit the mark they're effect was devastating. 

I was all set to sell her as soon as I earn enough to get the Normandie but I may not be able to part with her now. 

Anyone else grow to love a ship they once regarded with distaste?

[INTEL]
Members
796 posts
8,293 battles

Sims turned me into a Destroyer main. I never enjoyed DDs till I played that tiny, wiggly, wonderful boat.

• Cool 2

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,119 battles

Emerald

No, seriously, I actually started playing Emerald a lot after it got its buffs.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe
  • Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,253 posts
10,690 battles

For me, it was the USN Light Cruiser Line.  And learning to play with open water firing.

Edited by GrimmeReaper
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,329 posts
3,591 battles

Izumo everyone hated on it and I thought it would crap, but I turned to be a secondary monster which I enjoyed. Now I just need to but it back.

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,757 posts
4,573 battles

Kidd. I didn't expect it to do so well with a carrier captain...

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,454 posts
11,762 battles

Low tiers: umikazi, drtzki and clemson.

Mid tiers buddy.

High tiers: minnow and Republique. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,107 battles

Fiji started off rough, wanted to give up on the line - now I have it, Edi, Nep, and Mino. 

A few DD's just had to slog through, especially post nerf IJN now that it's torps leave about 2 seconds extra to avoid compared to oh, every other nation that is gunboat/hybrid DD's. But - I have Akizuki now while it had a rough start, it's like Fiji with IFHE and no citadel. Which, pro - maximum autopen Dakka, downside - still not fully adjusted to that lack of mobility.

Baltimore - I HATED Pensacola, ad while it has done better at T6, still a ton of salt from that grind. And NO was not shaping up much better. But then I got Balti and the only question I have is "how is this thing not a BB?". I mean, yeah, have learned more recently it can't bounce ALL the BB shells, but I've tanked AP fire from 7 ships, forcing them to switch to HE as my teams BB's cowered behind me, I've deleted cruisers in a Salvo or Two, and best yet was a Republique that I couldn't turn to run from, and if I slowed down I was just as dead, so was able to charge right at him bow guns blazing, bounce most of his MB shells, and while I took a beating from his secondaries, managed to dodge his last ditch ram, and get to his other side and just slam AP rounds into the side of his ship and kill him. I may have been reduced to 1/3 HP, but the other options were "Dead" and "Dev striked" so - I'll take it. 

FDG - Gnei, Bismarck, despite having Tirpitz and Scharn, these were rough grinds. Soul crushingly rough, which given one of my first books was Ballard's book on finding it, was that much worse. And FDG was shaping up even more so - till I finally got some teams with enough spine to not try and play from j1. It's still reliant on me getting a team that let's me play aggressive, but well, I got to GK which day before yesterday got a 178k game worth 300 points toward Royal Navy Hall of Fame. Getting a team where I can play aggressive, I love these things.

Iowa - "It's the best ship", "It's amazing", worth the CO and NC grinds". I first got the thing it was Pensacola part 2. I liked the Colorado more, and I hated playing CO, and considered NC a better ship. But, something finally clocked and well, now I have a Montana (with subs on the way, feel free to insert "Hunt for Red October" joke here).

[-SF-]
Members
120 posts
2,379 battles

Seattle - I hated the the grind through the Cleveland and reading up on the Seattle before I unlocked it didn't help as it was made out by others as being a Cleveland 2.0. I went in to the Seattle with low expectations and ended up loving it, she wasn't one for racking up the kills but more spreading damage across enemy ships with the amount of fires she caused. I loved it. 

• Cool 3

[BLHK]
Members
348 posts
3,442 battles

The Atlanta, she has really surprised me with just how much fun she is to play. 

See DD - DD be gone.

• Cool 1

[TAFY3]
Members
353 posts
7,337 battles
7 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

The Atlanta, she has really surprised me with just how much fun she is to play. 

See DD - DD be gone.

Oh yes, I love her too.  I wish it wasn't the first premium ship I bought because you'll be punished for mistakes, like, really really badly.  My stats were a mess.  But now that I have learned patience and when I can move up to the next rock, she dominates. 

If you ever want to be really unfair, pair your atlanta to a divisionmate's kaga. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,137 battles
21 minutes ago, driedjello said:

Pensacola (the old one)

image.thumb.png.8d885adce3efa766a1da37257adf8ff6.png

New Mexico (the blapper)

image.thumb.png.76c71ab7b403f6131aea844e82a72bed.png

I agree. Took me quite a while to figure the Pepsi out, but after the stealth buff, well ambushing broadside cruisers with AP was why I played that ship. Also shooting up T5 BBs with AP.

The New Mexico is a shotgun, throw enough shells at a ship, and something usually connects in a serious way. I have the AZ now, play it for the same reasons.

I also enjoyed the Colorado. Yes it was slow and ate pen damage from every angle, but the guns were accurate and hit hard, that heal was epic, torpedo beat for days, and the AA wasn't bad. Just don't get into a brawl with the German T7 twins. I sold it because the NC, AL, IA, MO, and MT are all even better, but if I had to play a T7 BB, I'd seriously consider the CO.

I also am really liking the Buffalo. It gets citadeled regardless of angle, but with reload upgrade that's 12 8" shells every 11 sec. A lot of firepower. Given the right opportunity that ship will just melt nearly anything in a very short amount of time. I'm going to keep it around for a while even once I get the DM.

• Cool 1

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

Republique.  I would not have gotten her if it was not for the Richelieu from container and then the Paris skin.  

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

Cleveland for me. The USN CA line was the first I ever grinded to tier X, and when I first came across the Cleveland I was very underwhelmed. IFHE didn't exist back then, and I was too inexperienced to manage her high shell arcs or island camping playstyle. So I resolved to suicide charging into caps, averaged something like 32k damage and lucked my way into a slightly-above-50% winrate. I got past it, sold it and never looked back.

Then way, way later, long after I had successfully unlocked the desMoines and learnt about island camping and IFHE and the proper role of USN CAs, there was a forum event for most fire damage within a given weekend. I re-bought the Cleveland and put in my 19 point captain. My God. IFHE. And Concealment Expert. And radar. What an absolute monster this ship was. At tier 6, the Cleveland was able to 1v1 brawl higher tier BBs, wipe out CAs and was the terror of all DDs in the game. The armour was fantastic, the citadel untouchable and the guns OP like nothing else. I averaged something in the range of 80k average damage and my winrate went to 70%- unheard of for me in a cruiser. I think I got second place in that competition in terms of fire damage, although I think I may have set the most fires.

Luckily, the ship has weathered the transition to tier 8 extremely well. While she isn't quite as tanky as she used to be, her many advantages have now been joined by fantastic stealth, the ability to stealth radar and guns which do just as much damage to tier 10s as they once did to tier 5s. Her role as a destroyer hunter is emphasized, but her ability to punish CAs and BBs has not been diminished. If I can give one piece of advise to anyone playing this ship, it would be to absolutely NEVER buy the range upgrade. her short range is a massive advantage which makes island camping much easier. Don't throw that away.

Edited by senseNOTmade

[RQL]
[RQL]
Beta Testers
646 posts
13,796 battles

Mogami for me - loved her in Beta but then not so much after the nerfs but am enjoying her play style again

Members
4,555 posts
6,481 battles

For pure fun tier 3  Bogatyr.  Once you get advanced firing skill on her her range just about out-ranges anything in her tier. Fires like a machine gun. Just a hoot to play if you like to go down to the low tiers for a blazing battle. I know high tier playing unicorns that have kept her just for a good time.

Edited by dmckay

[YOHB]
Members
61 posts
1,832 battles

Not a tech tree ship, but I bought the Abruzzi , then watched all the dismal reviews on the ship from the Community Contributors. I was quite surprised to find the ship is quite fantastic and a real beast at tier 7.

[TDRB]
Members
1,106 posts
4,215 battles

While it wasn't love at 1st sight, the Bretange caused me to switch to playing mid-tiered French BB's.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,316 posts
4,264 battles
45 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

While it wasn't love at 1st sight, the Bretange caused me to switch to playing mid-tiered French BB's.

Almost agree. The Bretagne is comfortable to play, but also early-unlocking the Normandie made it unnecessary to grind her. That being said, she was a far easier play for me than either the Orion or the Iron Duke, and if I hadn't wanted the KGV so badly (and already been invested in the RN cruisers), I might have switched to the French full-time - especially as I also found the Normandie enjoyable. (I have not played the Lyon enough to get comfortable with her yet.)

[S0L0]
Members
879 posts
4,914 battles

Nueve de Julio.

I held my nose and bought it as a sign of support for including South American navies in the game. Slow, short-ranged, clumsy, it was nothing like the cruisers I wanted WG to introduce for the Pan-Am nation.

Last night I broke 1/2 a million XP in her and got my 5th 19pt captain. It's still slow, and clumsy, but the range is sufficient, you have 15 guns throwing napalm shells, and you have a British heal without a British citadel.

Matt