Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
db4100

Now That We Have Subs In Game, How About Submerged Torp Tubes on BBs

20 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles

Almost all of the major warships had torpedo tubes installed below the waterline.  If I remember correctly WG stated it was difficult to implement in this game....well, well how about now?  Aren't submarines a static torpedo launcher similar to the submerged torpedo tubes found on battleships and cruisers?  Granted these submerged torpedo tubes on capital ships were impractical and very short ranged, but damn it I still want them implemented if even for historical reasons.  A tier six West Virginia could warrant it's historical submerged torpedo tubes.  Those tubes can still be a threat in close quarters combat in this game ala the Tirpitz, Mutsu, Scharnhorst, Kii, and Gneisenau.  The HMS Nelson is the only battleship(unconfirmed) thought to have torpedoed another battleship in battle (the Bismarck).   If this mechanic can be implemented....it should be.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,208 posts
12,740 battles

So, what aspects about these ships would you have nerfed in order to accomodate implementing a whole new weapon for them? After all, these are pure buffs you are suggesting. And it's not like Nelson for example needs a buff.

• Cool 3

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
258 posts
3,474 battles

I don't know about underwater torp tubes, but I would like to see ships with visible tubes in the bow and stern like Varyag be able to fire them.

[SIDE]
Members
1,251 posts
8,868 battles

Next topic:

BB mains want rockets.. big, sparkly ones, oh, and ASW ones too, and oh yeah, those mini guns that make the ripping sound, and some depth charges would be nice, and of course, one of those morse code thingies so we can tell other BB's how splendid we all are...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,864 posts
12,608 battles

Nonconstructive malcontent I demand this or else troll baiting! 

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

So, what aspects about these ships would you have nerfed in order to accomodate implementing a whole new weapon for them? After all, these are pure buffs you are suggesting. And it's not like Nelson for example needs a buff.

The current ships we have are pretty much set in stone, but there are plenty of sister ships out there like the HMS Rodney, the entire Revenge class BBs, the upcoming USS West Virginia, and pretty much any WW1 era capital ship.

Members
1,330 posts
501 battles

"SO NOW THAT WE HAVE SUBS??////

funny I still dont see them in game, AND I also read something from one of the Devs (Still cant find that thread but I am still looking for it) that stated we are not actually GETTING THEM, it is just something in the pot and on the back burner for now...
But for an answer.... NO  that would be too much more crap to rant about

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
258 posts
3,474 battles
24 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I want RAIL GUNS,,,,

would be nice to have when  a KHAB tries to run....

It's not like there are no BB's with torps already.

The German line has quite a few.

Members
1,330 posts
501 battles
1 minute ago, DarkStormy said:

oI5jBgT.gif

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,103 battles

Could it be - yes, should it be - no. Look, I'm all for BB's with torps, above water ones, I get conflicting info but I see things that state when Hood went down she still had above water tubes, which I'm all for including. 

But from what I hear, the under water tubes most had torps with a range that make the standard Russian torps look like a Shimakaze's 20 km torps. Add in that you have to be full broadside to use them and all, way less than ideal. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,208 posts
12,740 battles
38 minutes ago, DarkStormy said:

Deck mounted traversible mounts, yes.

[HINON]
Members
9,019 posts

Pretty much all submerged bb tubes were removed by ww2 due to the many drawbacks. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,236 battles
3 hours ago, db4100 said:

Aren't submarines a static torpedo launcher similar to the submerged torpedo tubes found on battleships and cruisers?  Granted these submerged torpedo tubes on capital ships were impractical and very short ranged, but damn it I still want them implemented if even for historical reasons. 

First, we DON'T have subs in the game, we have the promise of one Halloween event testing the viability of subs for consideration. That is a helluva long ways from having any subs in the game.

Second, like @Lert asked earlier on, what would you be willing to give up to have these torps added to a BBs offensive weapons inventory, as they definitely would be a buff.

Third, historical or not, this is a game and not a simulator, so the "historical" card holds no juice in this argument. 

I await your comments.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,067 posts
6,768 battles
5 hours ago, db4100 said:

The HMS Nelson is the only battleship(unconfirmed) thought to have torpedoed another battleship in battle (the Bismarck).   If this mechanic can be implemented....it should be.

actually that was her sister ship Rodney that hit Bismarck with the torpedo, and no, we dont need submerged torps on BBs or whatever other ships had submerged bow torps

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

[SOSL]
Members
147 posts
6,421 battles

I can’t be the only one wondering what subs and fixed torpedo tubes on battleships have to do with one another. 

Not ingame technology, certainly, because the ships in the April Fools’ bathtub event a few years back had fixed bow torpedo tubes. 

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
258 posts
3,474 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Deck mounted traversible mounts, yes.

Yes and those are quite useful, non traversible ones would require using the entire ship to aim.

In any case I really don't see a huge problem adding them to BB's that had them historically, maybe just lower tier WW1 ships.

I would love to fire a forward torp from the Varyag just before ramming a red ship.

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles
4 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

"SO NOW THAT WE HAVE SUBS??////

funny I still dont see them in game, AND I also read something from one of the Devs (Still cant find that thread but I am still looking for it) that stated we are not actually GETTING THEM, it is just something in the pot and on the back burner for now...
But for an answer.... NO  that would be too much more crap to rant about

I don't give a rat's butt if submarines are in the game or not....this not a thread about submarines....go rage somewhere else.

• Boring 1

Community Department
2,107 posts
520 battles
6 hours ago, db4100 said:

Almost all of the major warships had torpedo tubes installed below the waterline.  If I remember correctly WG stated it was difficult to implement in this game....well, well how about now?  Aren't submarines a static torpedo launcher similar to the submerged torpedo tubes found on battleships and cruisers?  Granted these submerged torpedo tubes on capital ships were impractical and very short ranged, but damn it I still want them implemented if even for historical reasons.  A tier six West Virginia could warrant it's historical submerged torpedo tubes.  Those tubes can still be a threat in close quarters combat in this game ala the Tirpitz, Mutsu, Scharnhorst, Kii, and Gneisenau.  The HMS Nelson is the only battleship(unconfirmed) thought to have torpedoed another battleship in battle (the Bismarck).   If this mechanic can be implemented....it should be.

This question was asked from the begining. If we implement all this it will seriously complicate game mechanics for new players at low tiers and it will change ballance for most ships in game. So are we talking about complete rework? 
We answered that we don't have such plans. Not now and I don't see it in the future. 

• Cool 2