You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lady_Athena

Annual remove detonations thread

Should Detonations be removed due to being unfun?   

77 members have voted

1. 1. Remove detonations because they are not fun?

• Yes
    • No
    • Like the dev's even listen...

36 comments in this topic

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
473 posts
2,116 battles

I know its been argued, I know its been talked about. I know the devs have commented on it. Quite frankly? I don't give a damn.

Detonations are simply not fun to deal with. For that reason alone they should be removed. You're cheated from a fight for various reasons, you're cheated out of flags, and camoflauge. Potentially cheated out of real money too if you spent money on it. You're cheated out of potential Exp, and silver, especially if it was on your first win daily..

2 real examples of just tonight.

Game 1) I detonated someone on the enemy team, he said it was his second detonation on his DD 2 games in a row. He was quite clearly pissed. Only 1 shell of my BB hit him, and it was a stray, that cheated him out of alot of potential exp, especially since it was his first win and it happened right at the start of the game.

Game 2) Literally the next game, playing in my BB. I pushed forward, rallied my team, was doing great, was a great team player, CV cross drops me half way through the game, 1 torpedo detonates my full health BB. (All others missed)

-----------------------

There quite literally is no argument to keep it. It doesn't matter if you say "but it happens so rarely" I don't care if it happens even once, that's once too many in a game like this. Why is a mechanic that literally cheats players out of real money, camo, flags, credits, and exp, literally everything a player has to look forward too earning being ripped out of that players hands simply because he decided to press Play? I'm not going to sugar coat it. Its a disgusting, toxic, and pure A hole mechanic by the developers to say the least.

It should be removed purely because it's unfun, and cheats a player out of so much potential. Plain and simple, regardless of how balanced you may or may not think it is, or how rare it happens.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Eh, iDunno. I always liked the idea that just getting detonated is enough to get you ten "get out of detonation free" flags, plus the ones that you pull from containers. Besides, is getting detonated really functionally any different from getting dev. striked?

• Bad 1

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
473 posts
2,116 battles
3 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Eh, iDunno. I always liked the idea that just getting detonated is enough to get you ten "get out of detonation free" flags, plus the ones that you pull from containers. Besides, is getting detonated really functionally any different from getting dev. striked?

Yes because dev striked requires more than 1 thing to get "lucky" to instant delete you. Normally if you get dev striked you did something wrong yourself.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[VW]
Members
1,932 posts
12,495 battles
6 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

Yes because dev striked requires more than 1 thing to get "lucky" to instant delete you. Normally if you get dev striked you did something wrong yourself.

have you abucted lady anjeska?

• Funny 1

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
473 posts
2,116 battles
11 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

have you abucted lady anjeska?

who's lady Anjeska?

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles

Honestly things like detonations are what citadel hits should be and cit hits should be a 25% increase to dmg.

Sure ohko sets are RL thing but they didnt happen that much, outside stupid crew leaving doors open and/or lucky shell hits.

Even dds hit by bbs didnt just detonate.

Id love to see ships last a little longer...

Edited by KnightFandragon

[HYDRO]
Members
1,554 posts
3,751 battles

The 75% hp rule for detonations has made the situation a tad better, at least for me detonations wise.

The Arsenal has also made available Detonation signals for coal, so now I rarely see people getting detonated.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

I agree that they are a [edited] mechanic no matter which side of the detonation you're on. It flagged your topic with a detonation tag. I clicked on it. It goes back to 2015 asking for its removal.

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles

If that DD was a gunboat DD, even a hybrid, he was asking for a detonation. I run det. flags on every gunboat DD I play.

While getting detonated isn't fun and engaging, and I can't say I like it either, it's here to stay. Just take steps(det. flag) on susceptible ships. I haven't been detonated in a good long while because I recognise there are some ships that seem to be more prone to detonations than others.

Members
2,494 posts
5,479 battles

Detonations should just be removed as they have no place in the game period. What do they accomplish?   Whats the fun in that?  Think of it..Do you think that players will complain if they are removed? I don't think their will be even posts about if they are.  . Its a stupid game feature and should be forgotten and removed. 

Edited by dionkraft
  • Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I haven’t been dev struck in 3 months...

Unfortunately the only way to know for certain that you will get dev struck is to say in the forums you haven’t been dev struck in 3 months...

But seriously between signals and module the odds of eating the green wiener in such dramatic fashion should be infinitesimaly small. 

Edited by _ENO_

Members
2,494 posts
5,479 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

The 75% hp rule for detonations has made the situation a tad better, at least for me detonations wise.

The Arsenal has also made available Detonation signals for coal, so now I rarely see people getting detonated.

If there was ANY reason to keep DETS that would be to lower considerable the HP percentage it would occur. I say it should be around 25% and less that it would happen. A player would KNOW that a DET could happen at that point on and more than likely had played some before getting deleted.  I could accept those terms if it stayed. But in the long run - remove any DETS from the game. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

I don't really care about them in Randoms/Coop/Arms Race, but they should be removed from Ranked and Clan Battles.

I got slightly salty when we lost 2 team mates due detonations in a Ranked game... In CBs everyone on our side is smart enough, but still shouldnt be possible.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,251 posts
10,669 battles

Well you can't just get detonated anymore, you have to lose some of your health before a Detonation occurs.  And I get Detonated maybe once a month,, twice if the MM is out to get me.  It just isn't has bad as it used to be.

• Bad 1

[TASH]
Members
5,013 posts
8,076 battles

It's not like detonations are unfun, but just predicting when they happen is annoying at most, and you can stave that off by just equipping detonation flags.

They give everyone a good laugh sometimes.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Members
1,311 posts
501 battles

146 det flags....
I will be ok for a while....

although I got a few in the Biz, and my DM once or twice...so ya never know

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts

I just want there to be some cool detonation animations where it lights up the whole map and is visible from space. :cap_popcorn:

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
4 hours ago, Lady_Athena said:

1 torpedo detonates my full health BB.

This is not possible, as you have to be at 75% health or lower to be detonated ... do you have a replay?

[INTEL]
Members
8,573 posts
25,660 battles
20 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Yes. A dev strike punishes you for playing poorly and rewards the shooter for playing well. 

A detonation punishes a player for playing well -- putting his vessel in harm's way to attain team goals -- while rewarding the shooter disproportionately. 

It also punishes the other 11 players on the detonated ship's team, especially if it is an early det of a capping DD or a late one of any ship struggling to win. 

It's a completely unethical mechanic because reward is out of proportion to skill and effort, and punishment is perversely directed at aggressive, hard working players.

All this has been hashed out -- clearly it is important to WG's business model that some ships randomly go AFK when an opposing ship points their guns at them. Dets are not functionally equivalent to dev strikes, they are functionally equivalent to AFKs. 

And weirdly, the playerbase hates AFKs, but accepts random AFKs if you call it a "detonation".  If WG simply announced it was randomly making ships go AFK, everyone would protest. But if you dress it up with the word "detonation"....

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 2

[NG-NL]
Members
5,015 posts
8,240 battles

Given magazine mod is readily available, no point removing Detonations. They're extremely rare ever since that got added along with the 75% HP limit.

[INTEL]
Members
8,573 posts
25,660 battles
15 hours ago, Reymu said:

Given magazine mod is readily available, no point removing Detonations. They're extremely rare ever since that got added along with the 75% HP limit.

Nope, its exactly the same, the magazine mod has been there a while and the 75% limit has no effect on their appearance, only means that full health dets dont occur. Had two dets this weekend in Ranked. Even had a five det game a couple of weeks ago. Red lost two DDs early, then we lost two ships, and finally red lost another. No need to even play that one out once two DDs go down early like that. 

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
783 posts

Ah, with a couple of thousand tons of high explosives and propellants.....................

image.png.49d260e8ada155326af1ec9d4ca26d5e.png

What, thirty some survived this........  Or, the BB Arizona  Or, ...........

One 8" round.  One AP bomb.  One 18" HE round is more than sufficient to sympathetically detonate a ship: not matter how well built.    It is the history of the era we live in and a consequence of luck or karma or skill.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,207 battles

The Battles of Jutland and Denmark Strait, the Mutsu, the WW1 iteration of Vanguard and the HMS Natal (and possibly the USS Maine), all say no to the OP.