Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Slattery

Captain's skills?

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

244
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
573 posts
3,674 battles

Hey guys,

I am looking for some help and advice here, if you are willing.

I currently have my Acasta, Icarus and Gallant captains all set up as gunboat captains.  Basic and Advanced Fire Training.  Heck, I pulled my Warspite/Queen Elizabeth captain out to run the Gallant in the op.  I'm a bit short on 10+ point captains for the Brits.

I have tried Vigilance/Concealment to no avail.

I would really appreciate some feedback here.  Am I just destined to suck at the UK dds?  I am fairly new to dds in general but seem to have my moments in the Nicholas and Podvoisky.  I'm getting better in them but my suckage in the Acasta and now the Icarus is legendary.

In advance,

Thanks,

CS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,817 posts
9,925 battles

play more games, with a little of battles so far it count as nothing, play over 200 battles and then sit back, analysis what you have done and get better

then play more battles to improve on it

 

Practice make Perfect

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
457
[VW]
Members
1,948 posts
12,499 battles
12 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Hey guys,

I am looking for some help and advice here, if you are willing.

I currently have my Acasta, Icarus and Gallant captains all set up as gunboat captains.  Basic and Advanced Fire Training.  Heck, I pulled my Warspite/Queen Elizabeth captain out to run the Gallant in the op.  I'm a bit short on 10+ point captains for the Brits.

I have tried Vigilance/Concealment to no avail.

I would really appreciate some feedback here.  Am I just destined to suck at the UK dds?  I am fairly new to dds in general but seem to have my moments in the Nicholas and Podvoisky.  I'm getting better in them but my suckage in the Acasta and now the Icarus is legendary.

In advance,

Thanks,

CS

Standard first ten on any dd: PT, LS, BFT, CE.

next round: IFHE (if tou want to really gunboat with HE) or RPF if you like hunting, but remember it works both ways. I dont take AFT anymore because the gunbloom makes you visible my more ships, but this can be debated. Torp Reload Expert (forget exact name) get the fish ready faster, AR.

thats a solid build, its not the only one.

check mouse’s reviews, particularly on gallant and cossack for detailed captain advice.

 

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71
[DENY]
Members
345 posts
4,782 battles

My rn DD will likely all have , preventive maintenance , last stand , adrenaline rush , SE , concealment , ifhe and bft , 

 

Concealment is a must have on those ship 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
147
Members
716 posts

while I| would agree that AFT is a double edge sward and there is not much AA to improve to advocate it, the RN Jervis and Cossack have given me pause for thought, as I get the perceivable feeling that the mid-range gunnery sweet spot gets pushed out that extra 1km, meaning it coincides better with the range that you or other DD will be spotted.

 

e.g. using the Dunkirk op as an example and alternating between Jervis and Cossack with my two RN commanders, one with AFT and one without, there was definitely more instances of first salvo kills of the boats at medium range with AFT than without, almost as if that very slightly tighter grouping was enough to tip the balance to a kill rather than 80% damage and having to take a second shot or shoot a second salvo.

 

so I wouldn't drop AFT from all of your RN DD's commanders, but do some testing, especially if you get Jervis in a container, or can run two commanders in tandem one with and one without until the RN DD line drops on the 19th of next month, or you get Cossack in the meantime.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
244
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
573 posts
3,674 battles

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your input and information.  I really appreciate your help.  Now I just have to go out there and see how it works out for me.  

These dds have a steeper learning curve for me than Soviet or American dds do.

Best regards,

CS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143
[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
271 posts
1,855 battles

I am going to skip AFT I think.  The range is already pretty decent.  IFHE is another interesting question though.  Depending on the AP in practice, it might be better to go DE and let shatters set fires faster and rely on AP more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71
[DENY]
Members
345 posts
4,782 battles

Raw damage is nice to have when time count , you can't rely to n fire when they got you spoted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,467
[AXANR]
Members
3,370 posts
16,685 battles
22 hours ago, b101uk said:

while I| would agree that AFT is a double edge sward and there is not much AA to improve to advocate it, the RN Jervis and Cossack have given me pause for thought, as I get the perceivable feeling that the mid-range gunnery sweet spot gets pushed out that extra 1km, meaning it coincides better with the range that you or other DD will be spotted.

 

e.g. using the Dunkirk op as an example and alternating between Jervis and Cossack with my two RN commanders, one with AFT and one without, there was definitely more instances of first salvo kills of the boats at medium range with AFT than without, almost as if that very slightly tighter grouping was enough to tip the balance to a kill rather than 80% damage and having to take a second shot or shoot a second salvo.

so I wouldn't drop AFT from all of your RN DD's commanders, but do some testing, especially if you get Jervis in a container, or can run two commanders in tandem one with and one without until the RN DD line drops on the 19th of next month, or you get Cossack in the meantime.

Except AFT has absolutely nothing to do with your shell groupings. At all. This is terrible advice.

AFT is terrible for British DDs. Your shells are super floaty at range so your hit % will suck out there, and your gun bloom becomes ginormous. Build and play them more like USN DDs; they are knife fighters when gunboating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
147
Members
716 posts
Just now, poeticmotion said:

Except AFT has absolutely nothing to do with your shell groupings. At all. This is terrible advice.

Except for the fact that as range changes via AFT &/or with subsequent gun fire control system changes with applicable guns, the horizontal dispersion value changes by a lesser rate than the range change.

 

e.g. with Jervis:

base gun range is 11km with the mod1 gun fire control system, with a horizontal dispersion of 91m

the mod2 gun fire control system adds 10% to range which is an extra 1.1km taking it to 12.1km, but the horizontal dispersion changes to 98m which is a ~7.8% change is horizontal dispersion change for a 10% range increase.

if I take AFT in conjunction with the above I get an additional +20% to range and horizontal dispersion changes to 115m at 14.5km, which is ~17.5% change in horizontal dispersion for a 20% range increase.

or in total I get at 30% range change in return for a ~26.4% change in horizontal dispersion, meaning that at the original 11km there is in the order of ~3.6% less dispersion, which is a bit less than 88m horizontal dispersion relative.

 

ergo at middling ranges that a DD may come into view there is a very slight decrease in horizontal dispersion relative to what the would have been with the original mod1 gun fire control system, just from taking the mod2 gun fire control system and AFT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,467
[AXANR]
Members
3,370 posts
16,685 battles
6 hours ago, b101uk said:

Except for the fact that as range changes via AFT &/or with subsequent gun fire control system changes with applicable guns, the horizontal dispersion value changes by a lesser rate than the range change.

e.g. with Jervis:

base gun range is 11km with the mod1 gun fire control system, with a horizontal dispersion of 91m

the mod2 gun fire control system adds 10% to range which is an extra 1.1km taking it to 12.1km, but the horizontal dispersion changes to 98m which is a ~7.8% change is horizontal dispersion change for a 10% range increase.

if I take AFT in conjunction with the above I get an additional +20% to range and horizontal dispersion changes to 115m at 14.5km, which is ~17.5% change in horizontal dispersion for a 20% range increase.

or in total I get at 30% range change in return for a ~26.4% change in horizontal dispersion, meaning that at the original 11km there is in the order of ~3.6% less dispersion, which is a bit less than 88m horizontal dispersion relative.

ergo at middling ranges that a DD may come into view there is a very slight decrease in horizontal dispersion relative to what the would have been with the original mod1 gun fire control system, just from taking the mod2 gun fire control system and AFT.

Even if I concede that, which I haven't checked your numbers, that's still an incredibly minor benefit for the investment of four skill points, and outweighed by the gun bloom detection making it even harder to disengage while the shell arcs make it near impossible to hit anything but a stopped or slow moving BB at long range.

So if you want to invest 4 skill points in that, go ahead. But it's a terrible combination of minimal benefit and opportunity cost and so taking AFT is a really poor choice. Not bothering to try and convince you, just stating it for those who might not realize this and take your terrible advice if there wasn't an opposing opinion in thread.

TL;DR: AFT is worthless for mid-tier RN DDs and so is your opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,276
[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
On 9/25/2018 at 1:20 AM, Captain_Slattery said:

Hey guys,

I am looking for some help and advice here, if you are willing.

I currently have my Acasta, Icarus and Gallant captains all set up as gunboat captains.  Basic and Advanced Fire Training.  Heck, I pulled my Warspite/Queen Elizabeth captain out to run the Gallant in the op.  I'm a bit short on 10+ point captains for the Brits.

I have tried Vigilance/Concealment to no avail.

I would really appreciate some feedback here.  Am I just destined to suck at the UK dds?  I am fairly new to dds in general but seem to have my moments in the Nicholas and Podvoisky.  I'm getting better in them but my suckage in the Acasta and now the Icarus is legendary.

In advance,

Thanks,

CS

I have been highly successful in the Royal Navy DDs by using PM, LS, TAE, and CE. The RN DDs already have good main gun Reload times when compared to their rivals, but what you really feel hindered by is the Torpedo Reload.

So ended up swapping out 10 point captains for one with the Torpedo Reload skill.

Although RN DDs I have found to be tricky to use and not for everyone, they are very dependent on particular play styles and either you can make them work or you can’t as I have found based on my experiences and hearing from other players. Thankfully I seem to be in the able to make them work category, but for many it’s been the opposite. So I can say give them a few battles and and if you just can’t make them work or simply don’t like their playstyle then there are other DDs lines that might be better or other classes of ships as well.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71
[DENY]
Members
345 posts
4,782 battles
18 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I have been highly successful in the Royal Navy DDs by using PM, LS, TAE, and CE. The RN DDs already have good main gun Reload times when compared to their rivals, but what you really feel hindered by is the Torpedo Reload.

So ended up swapping out 10 point captains for one with the Torpedo Reload skill.

Although RN DDs I have found to be tricky to use and not for everyone, they are very dependent on particular play styles and either you can make them work or you can’t as I have found based on my experiences and hearing from other players. Thankfully I seem to be in the able to make them work category, but for many it’s been the opposite. So I can say give them a few battles and and if you just can’t make them work or simply don’t like their playstyle then there are other DDs lines that might be better or other classes of ships as well.

You have to be aware of enemy radar at all time with 175 game in the lighting and over 1 million xp, in a 1 vs 1 vs versus other DD your likely going to win ,  I even had a fight versus a DM in my lighting 1/2hp when DM was full and had me on radar and ended up killing him , and surviving , 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×