You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaPTAiN_BlAcK_BeArD

Unique commander

23 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
1,539 posts
2,149 battles

I don't think WG wants to get anywhere near that mess...

Also, even though he didn't do anything wrong he's only famous because his ship got sunk and then forgot about for a week. Not exactly the kind thing you'd want for a legendary commanders.

Personally I think Ernest Evans would be an awesome choice.

• Cool 1

Members
71 posts
2,843 battles

I understand that but if you put the sinking aside for a minute, He has medals and Him and the crew of the USS Indianapolis delivered parts for the bombs to end the war. Not only that, but they did have a part of the invasion of Iwo Jima and bombard of Okinawa. Not only that but USS Indianapolis shot planes down before taking some serious damage which he managed to get the ship back to the states for repair. In my opinion he would be a great US crusier commander. 

[VW]
Members
1,948 posts
12,499 battles

I’d like to see jellicoe, or beatty, sheer or donitz, and makarov or vassily zaitsev (forgot about makarov lol) before another us commander.

[SALVO]
Members
17,112 posts
17,794 battles

I'd prefer that they worry more about adding historical unique commanders for other nations first.  The US and Japan have their historical admirals.  Time for other nations to get one.  Perhaps the Brits first.  It might be difficult to pick a non-controversial German one, though I think that Admiral Scheer would be a good choice (i.e. the High Seas Fleet commander at Jutland in WW1), since he avoids any WW2 related issues.

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles

Id take Lt. Cmdr John S. Harper from the pearl harbor West Virginia.  The guy who wouldnt abandon ship and kept up damage control efforts until the very end.

Jack of all trades: -10% to consumable CD up from -5%

Basics of Survivability: -22.5% to duration of fire, flooding and repair.

He gets a special innate perk: +5s to RP and DCP duration.

Id pay an extra $20 for 44WV just to get that guy as a USN captain.

Edited by KnightFandragon

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,192 posts
18,932 battles

I have heared that they make Matt Sherman a unique commander for the USN subs...

7 hours ago, Crucis said:

I'd prefer that they worry more about adding historical unique commanders for other nations first.  The US and Japan have their historical admirals.  Time for other nations to get one.  Perhaps the Brits first.  It might be difficult to pick a non-controversial German one, though I think that Admiral Scheer would be a good choice (i.e. the High Seas Fleet commander at Jutland in WW1), since he avoids any WW2 related issues.

Hans Langsdorff would be a good choice for a German captain. Not a Nazi, won both Iron Cross in WW1 and put the lives of his sailors about fighting till the last shell. He sunk 9 freighter without killing anyone. This is quite unique.

[SALVO]
Members
17,112 posts
17,794 battles
21 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

I have heared that they make Matt Sherman a unique commander for the USN subs...

Hans Langsdorff would be a good choice for a German captain. Not a Nazi, won both Iron Cross in WW1 and put the lives of his sailors about fighting till the last shell. He sunk 9 freighter without killing anyone. This is quite unique.

Why do people keep looking to make ships' captains into unique commanders when WG is showing a preference for commanding admirals?

[INTEL]
Members
655 posts
7,602 battles

Here are my suggestions:

John Paul Jones (US)

William Bainbridge (US)

Oliver Perry (US)

George Duff (UK)

Robert Maynard (UK)

Horatio Nelson (UK)

Giuseppe Garibaldi (Italy)

Takeo Hirose (Japan)

He Zheng (China - Pan Asia)

Mikhail Lazarev (Russia)

Vsevolod Rudnev (Russia)

Most are much earlier than WWI but still would be highly recognizable and represent their nationality without political overtones or licensing issues.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Why do people keep looking to make ships' captains into unique commanders when WG is showing a preference for commanding admirals?

Didn't know Jack Dunkirk and John Doe were commanding admirals.

IE: There's precedent for ship's captains, original characters (Dunkirk hits both of these points), and fleet admirals (IE: Halsey, Yamamoto).

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[S0L0]
Members
879 posts
4,914 battles
8 hours ago, Submarine_M1 said:

What about sir John Fisher, the inventor of the 1st battleship , as a commander?

My suggestions:

Germany, either Tirpitz or Sheer. Special Skills "Made in German" repairs 50% of normally unrepairable damage after a Confederate award. "Crushing Might"  reduces reload of main armament by 15% after Detonating an enemy ship

RN, Jackie Fisher.  special skills "Jack Flash" Increases ship speed by 10% after a Double Strike award, "Bread for the Men" drops reload of main guns and consumables 10% after a High Caliber reward

Pan American, Thomas Cochrane. Special skills "Take the Money and Run" Increases silver earning by 100% after any battle which earns a heroic achievement. "Naval Traditions" increases XP earning by 50% for any standard achievement. Alternate: "Man without a Country" allows him to command any Pan American or Royal Navy ship without penalty.

Commonwealth, Harry DeWolfe. Special skills "Hard Over" reduces rudder shift by 5% and increases ship speed by 2% for every kill recorded. "Hot Run" drops torpedo reload by 10% for a First Blood achievement.

Matt

• Cool 2

Members
1,826 posts
823 battles
2 minutes ago, mobryan said:

My suggestions:

Pan American, Thomas Cochrane. Special skills "Take the Money and Run"

Matt

OK, that is funny right there.

[S0L0]
Members
879 posts
4,914 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

OK, that is funny right there.

And historically inspired. Cochrane is a perfect example of truth being stranger than fiction and stories you just can't make up.

Matt

[SALVO]
Members
17,112 posts
17,794 battles
18 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Didn't know Jack Dunkirk and John Doe were commanding admirals.

IE: There's precedent for ship's captains, original characters (Dunkirk hits both of these points), and fleet admirals (IE: Halsey, Yamamoto).

Neither of those have the level of benefits of Yamamoto or Halsey.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Neither of those have the level of benefits of Yamamoto or Halsey.

Do they have to be? Or will people be happy with a unique portrait and name and a slightly buffed skill or two on a "ship captain" commander, and save the special features for fleet admirals?

I'm personally happy enough with special portraits and names and no special skills at all, if my ARP and AL commanders are any indication.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[SALVO]
Members
17,112 posts
17,794 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Do they have to be? Or will people be happy with a unique portrait and name and a slightly buffed skill or two on a "ship captain" commander, and save the special features for fleet admirals?

That's a different question.

I think that when someone entitles a post "unique commander" they're referring to the Fleet Admiral type of commander, the kind you have to earn via a special campaign.  But if one is thinking about the sort of 10 point commander that may have a couple of skills with little bonuses, I'm not aware of any that are based on historical figures.  IIRC, they're all fictional characters or Dasha.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I think that when someone entitles a post "unique commander" they're referring to the Fleet Admiral type of commander, the kind you have to earn via a special campaign.  But if one is thinking about the sort of 10 point commander that may have a couple of skills with little bonuses, I'm not aware of any that are based on historical figures.  IIRC, they're all fictional characters or Dasha.

Those are still "unique commanders" because they aren't generated randomly IE: regular commander recruitment, though.

[S0L0]
Members
879 posts
4,914 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I think in the past, when WG has referred to Yamato or Halsey collectively, it has been as "Legendary Commanders" while the others have been referred to as "Unique Commanders." No idea if those are systematic distinctions, or just what the PR crew thought would make good copy that day.

Matt

[SALVO]
Members
17,112 posts
17,794 battles
10 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Besides the American commander who shall not be named, are any of the lower commanders real people?

Dasha.  :Smile_hiding:

Members
1,826 posts
823 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Dasha.  :Smile_hiding:

Yes, but is that her real name?

With some of the reactions on this board, I would expect the answer to be no.

[SALVO]
Members
17,112 posts
17,794 battles
5 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Yes, but is that her real name?

With some of the reactions on this board, I would expect the answer to be no.

Well, you may be correct that it's not her real name.  However, that wasn't the question.  The question was about real people.  And regardless of whether it's her real name or not, I don't think that anyone would dispute that Dasha is a real person.